Babies: 6 - 9 Months

6 Month Pictures

We had Jackson's 6 month pictures taken a month ago. The photographer graduated with my husband, and I had seen her work and it was really good. She told me that it was $220 and that would include 1 hour of shooting, 2 hours of editing and 40 images. She told us that she would throw some extra images in because she knew my husband. So I get an e-mail from her yesterday saying my pictures are ready and it had the pricing. The lowest package was $600!!! Apparently the "40 images" that it came with means that you get 40 images to chose from. And when she said that she threw some extra in, that means that she gave us more than 40 images to chose from. JUST to get the CD that has all the images on it is $350, that's without having any printed. I feel sick to my stomach!! Is this normal?? I sent her an e-mail saying that I misunderstood her and thought that it came with 40 pictures, but apparently the $220 was just the sitting fee. We can't afford to pay $600 for pictures! The pictures turned out GREAT though and we love them. Is this normal?? Or did we totally get screwed??
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 6 Month Pictures

• It's pretty normal unfortunately. I'd get the CD and make my own prints.
  • If she worded it the way you said it sounds pretty decieving. I looked at a ton of photographers and most of them did have a sitting fee as well as a fee for the photos, whether they were digital or print. Many of the digital photo packages I had looked at were 350+, even sears studio was like 250 or something crazy for the CD. 

We are geting ours done saturday and having a friend I went to school with do them. She is a newer photographer (did our maternity photo shoot and loved the photos!) so she is only charging 150 and that includes the CD of edited images.

That totally sucks that there was such miscommunication! Maybe  she can work with you considering she didn't explain herself very well. 

Good Luck! 

married my best friend August 6, 2010
  • Loading the player...
  • We spent $800 on a "milestones" package. It covered his newborn and 6 month pics and will also include his 1 year pics, and a cd from each sitting with 40 or so images per cd.  However, the reason I went with this package was because the individual package was over $500.  
  • I think you completely got screwed! A lot of times the packages are $350 - $500 but that includes some sort of print package with it. You shouldn't have to pay on top of that unless it is in addition to the package. They better be made of gold IMO.

I have a great photographer -- Newborn session was $175 and we got a CD w/ 100 pic's all re touched to make our own prints. She spent 5 hours at our house for the newborn and they turned out awesome. The 6 month shoot was $121 at her house/studio (discounted because we booked with her again). Again, we received a CD within 2 weeks w/ 100 photo's on it.

She will print photo's for us but we don't have to use her... She has separate pricing for stuff like that.

• I paid $60 to a mom who does photography on the side and we got the CD with 40 prints and to pick the location.  How many pictures do you really need anyway?  I plan on getting pictures done about every 6-12 months!  Look into that next time.
  • I think it sounds very normal.  I'm sorry!  A LOT goes into good photography....quite a bit more time than most people think.  Plus, you have to take into account how long that photographer has been in business, the demand for that photographer and the rest of the local market. 

We did a baby plan package with our photographer that covered newborn, 4 months,8 months and will cover a 1 year session as well.  It was $250 to guarantee all of those sessions, receive 10% off of whatvever we order and at the end, we'll receive a brag book will all of the images from the sessions. As for each of the individual sessions, we are responsible for purchasing the print images or digital images of our choosing.  The smallest digital package gives you 5 images for $100.  Then there is a package with 15 images for $250 and all of the images for $400. 

I feel the prices are reasonable based on the amount of time and effort the photographer puts into the sessions.  It's not only the hour or two you are with the photographer but most (good) photorgraphers will spend HOURS editing and perfecting the images. I'm sorry the photographer wasn't clearer - you could definitely explain the misunderstanding but I would be prepared for her not to give much.  Did you sign a contract?   

• If she worded it the way you say it is deceiving and if it was a friend I would not have thought twice about asking for printing rights to be honest. If she is more of an acquaintance I would have asked more questions because It is normal for a good professional photographer, especially if she has a studio, to charge a high sitting fee and for images separate.  A lot of the less expensive professional photographers, not counting places like Picture People,  come to houses and don?t use any type of external lighting other than a high-end flash.  The lack of studio, lighting and backdrops allows them to have a lower overhead and charge less.   Make sure if you buy the CD that is a high res with printing rights.  MPIXS does a great job printing.  I compared the prints to the professional ones my photographer had and It was almost identical.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageJENandJEH:

I think it sounds very normal.  I'm sorry!  A LOT goes into good photography....quite a bit more time than most people think.  Plus, you have to take into account how long that photographer has been in business, the demand for that photographer and the rest of the local market. 

I feel the prices are reasonable based on the amount of time and effort the photographer puts into the sessions.  It's not only the hour or two you are with the photographer but most (good) photorgraphers will spend HOURS editing and perfecting the images. I'm sorry the photographer wasn't clearer - you could definitely explain the misunderstanding but I would be prepared for her not to give much.  Did you sign a contract?   

This!  I am a photographer!  Not only equipment (cameras, lenses, lighting, computers, back up, memory cards, disks) but also website fees, insurance and taxes as well as time!  Editing is SO time consuming!  A one hour session warrants at least three - four hours of editing!   

I do agree w/ PP that how you wrote it up does make the photog look a bit deceiving - but those are normal prices!  Plus you have to remember the prints you are getting from a photographer are NOTHING like the cheap CVS/Walmart/Target prints you get!

Good luck! 

• Sounds about right...Sorry. We paid around $450 for newborn prints and 5x7 20image brag book. DH's sister and husband gifted us the session and covered the $100 sitting fee.

We are doing DD's 6 month photos next week with the same potographer and I am expecting it will be around the same (500-600) total. I am debating paying a bit more to have them digitally and being able to reprint.

We will do a big family session with separate photos for DD at 1yr. and will probaly do photos with this photographer at 18mths and 2yrs...then each year after. It is an expensive endeavor but for us completely worth it to work with a talented and experienced child photographer.

20-30yrs from now the photos and videos are all that are going to remain of DD's childhood. You only get these chances once....and I am a bit of a photography person. I just adore a good photo. We spent over $4k on our wedding photos.

• Thanks for the feedback. No we did not sign a contract. We will just buy the CD and print our own pictures, and learn for next time. I should also add the we live in the UP of Michigan. Which is not a wealthy area at all. I don't know how many people up here can even afford that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • we always go with Sears and the pictures come out just fine.  Photographers are very expensive 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"