Preemies

What size clothes?

I want to start buying stuff for CJ soon but I have no idea what size to get. Should I get a few preemie sized things and rack up on newborn? Or what??
Trenton Elijah born three weeks early due to pre-e on April 14, 2011. Weighing 6lbs 6.3oz, 18 inches long.

Cameron Jacob (CJ) came early @ 25w4d on November 16, 2012 due to placenta abruption and incompetent cervix . Weighing 1lb 15.5oz, 14 inches long. 

Expecting a winter baby. Stay put LO!

Re: What size clothes?

• Are you asking because you want him to wear clothes you bought while he's in the hospital? We had a few outfits for DD like that.

If you're just looking ahead to when he comes home, I'd suggest getting newborn and maybe a few preemies, but wait until it's a little closer, because you don't know how he'll gain weight. Some babies gain pretty quickly and others stay tiny for quite a while. My DD came home around 5 lb but gained so fast she didn't get a chance to wear some of her preemie clothes.

Congrats on your little one and I hope he's doing well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would get a few preemie size sleepers that are snap ups since most NICUs don't allow zippers due to the monitor leads.  Preemie size is really short so my boys had just about outgrown it by the time they were home.  They wore NB size at that point.  Carter's and Gerber NB size runs pretty small so it's a good in between.  I found the best deals on preemie stuff at Wal-mart and Target.
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn't buy any clothes until he was closer to getting out, even in the NICU he just wore the hospital clothes until he was released, a few friends bought him preemie clothes but none really fit. LO was in newborn size for what seemed liked months.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• DD was in the NICU till 37 weeks and she wore preemie clothes in there. We bought a couple long sleeve onesies and some sleep sacks. I liked being able to have her wear her own clothes in the NICU. It just made me feel good.

When she came home, she still wore the preemie for about a week. Now she is into newborn. She has been for 2 weeks. The newborn stuff is still super long and we have to roll the sleeves up.

She was 4.10lbs at her lowest. Right now she is 6.12lbs and newborn still have room to grow.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS actually wore preemie clothing until he was about 2 months old...we started putting clothing on him in the NICU when he was about a week old.  He was 2 lbs. 9 oz. at birth, and about 5 lbs. at 2 months, for reference.  We had a lot of preemie clothing, but we didn't buy any of it...a friend of my SIL is actually the nanny for twin boys who were preemies, so she gave us a ton of clothes, and then we received a bunch as gifts.  I really enjoyed dressing him in clothes while in the NICU because it made things feel a little more normal.  

Oh...and he wore newborn clothing for over 3 months!  He didn't start wearing 3 month until he was almost 6 months old (actual).   

IMG_0293

Mr. & Mrs. 10/2/10 | Dx w/PCOS March 2011
    BFP - 7/25/11 | EDD 4/3/12 | C-section 2/7/12 @ 32 weeks 
    BFP - 1/07/14 | EDD 9/20/14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! My next question is do I buy all long sleeves (his EDD was February 25) or a mixed of long and short sleeve newborn clothes?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I didn't even know if I should buy a snow suit or coat for him if he came in February (still don't know what to do). lol
    Trenton Elijah born three weeks early due to pre-e on April 14, 2011. Weighing 6lbs 6.3oz, 18 inches long.

Cameron Jacob (CJ) came early @ 25w4d on November 16, 2012 due to placenta abruption and incompetent cervix . Weighing 1lb 15.5oz, 14 inches long. 

Expecting a winter baby. Stay put LO!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"