October 2012 Moms

Lactose Intolerance

Hello everyone! I just wanted all moms to be aware about the symptoms of lactose intolerance in their newborns. I took my one month old little boy to the Dr today because was so worried about his belly button hernia but little did I know that a poopy diaper lead to us finding out he was lactose intolerant. He had been having more green stools then yellow (BF baby) and he was having serious gas problems and became more fussy after eating. I was just going to get him some gas drops thinking it was the broccoli I had eaten. He also was spitting up a lot more even 1 hr after nursing. I started to think it could be acid reflux and was going to ask about that until my Dr. saw his stool and tested him for lactose intolerance. So now my diet will be dairy free to help him until he grows out of it if he grows out of it.

Re: Lactose Intolerance

• I really feel your pain.  LO was diagnosed with a milk allergy about two weeks ago.  It's gonna be a long year with no milk products :(
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • How did they test for it? I thought you just had to eliminate dairy to see if it got better. My LC thinks my LO may have a sensitivity to cows milk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetxgrl715:
    How did they test for it? I thought you just had to eliminate dairy to see if it got better. My LC thinks my LO may have a sensitivity to cows milk.

I would like to know this as well. My pedi thought LO had reflux, but I am not 100% convinced and would like to know how they can test for it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Are you sure it is lactose and not protein that is the problem?
    imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
  • imageannabelle8101:
    Are you sure it is lactose and not protein that is the problem?

Ditto this. Also my understanding is the green poop isn't a sign but blood or mucous in the stool are signs. FWIW we though milk sensitivity and now it looks like just reflux so I'm slowly adding back dairy. My pedi said they can look pretty similar.
  • imageannabelle8101:
    Are you sure it is lactose and not protein that is the problem?

Ditto. Usually it is the milk protein, not lactose, that little ones are intolerant of.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I find many people confuse a milk allergy with lactose intolerance, they are two very different things. 

This is an informative article: https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/lactose.html 

• LI isn't something you can grow out of. I've been lactose intolerant for over 10 years and it gets worse with age because your body just stops producing what it needs to break down lactose. Most people become intolerant at some point in adulthood.

Curious how they tested for LI. My doctor tested me by eliminating dairy for a week and then having me go on a huge dairy binge to see what happened.
  • As far as I know they can't test for LI.  They can however test for protein sensitivity, sort of.  The test the Ph level of baby's stool.  They also test for blood.  If the Ph is abnormal or they find blood it indicates baby is sensitive to something.  Most likely milk and/or soy protein but it can be other things.  Elimination diets,starting with dairy, are what is usually recommended to determine what the sensitivity is to. 

image imageimageimage

• There is a breath test that can be dome to test for lactose intolerance, but I've never heard of it actually being done.

There are different levels of lactose intolerance. Few are truly lactose intolerant and most can tolerate small amounts. It is possible for many people to increase the amount they can tolerate.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"