Babies: 0 - 3 Months

need pacifier help

My LO will not take a pacifier.  We try and try but she keeps spitting it out and when she does manage to keep it in, two minutes later she throws it across the room.  A friend of mine suggested holding it in her mouth until she keeps it in but that sounds down right mean to me.  Any suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: need pacifier help

• LO needs it to go to sleep most of the time even though he fights it and spits it out. We hold it in his mouth, snuggle him tight so that he can wiggle and kick, and rock him.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • What kind are you using? Maybe she doesnt like the kind you are offering. DS2 doesnt like using a pacifier much and hes 12wks old. He mainly likes to suck on his fist.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, I am a FTM and I agree, why does she have to have one.  It look at it as one less bad habit to break down the road.  I would actually prefer her not to have one.  But I still try to offer it. I don't force it though.  I try twice and if she doesn't want it, I don't push it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • imagechristinasullie37:
    Well, I am a FTM and I agree, why does she have to have one.nbsp; It look at it as one less bad habit to break down the road.nbsp; I would actually prefer her not to have one.nbsp; But I still try to offer it. I don't force it though.nbsp; I try twice and if she doesn't want it, I don't push it.

Then why make this post? If you don't really want LO to take a pacifier, stop offering one.
  • imagemabenner1:
    imagechristinasullie37:
    Well, I am a FTM and I agree, why does she have to have one.nbsp; It look at it as one less bad habit to break down the road.nbsp; I would actually prefer her not to have one.nbsp; But I still try to offer it. I don't force it though.nbsp; I try twice and if she doesn't want it, I don't push it.
    Then why make this post? If you don't really want LO to take a pacifier, stop offering one.

I agree, so what's the issue? Neither of my girls wanted one. I offered a few times, they refused and that was that. Now you don't have to pry it away from a toddler. One less battle. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I think if you want to offer one to soothe, go for it.  Dr. Karp said to put it in, then slightly bump it to where they think its falling out, and they will suck harder to keep it.  When mine is spitting it out, I try that, and it works almost every time.
  • Is there a reason you want her to have a pacifier? DS never used one. I actually think it made him better at self soothing. A lot of kids never use them.

• DD would only use a soothie at first. Now she'll take NUK. Try different brands if you feel you need one due to comfort sucking.
  • My daughter rejects the paci about 80% of the time.... I would never dream of holding it in her mouth....  If she spits it out, she is telling me she doesn't want it.  Why force the issue?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"