March 2013 Moms

classes?

My hospital offers several classes (optional, and you have to pay a small fee.)

I am considering taking the childbirth, child care, and breastfeeding classes.

Have any of you taken any classes yet? Were they worth it? My husband thinks it will be a waste of time, but he is willing to go since I asked him to.

Also, how early are you taking these? My hostpital does them about once a month, but oddly has none in Februray. I don't want to wait til march, so it's either take them all within a 2 week span in January, or split them up between Jan and December. I'm just wondering if December is way too early...

Thanks!

Re: classes?

• Personally, I only took a breastfeeding class and IMO, it was a waste of time. I didn't learn anything that I couldn't read on the Internet. They showed us different ways to hold the baby, and just a couple of things about latching. As for the other classes, I can't give you my opinion as to whether they are worth it. Sometimes I feel like they will do more harm than good and make you worry about something you shouldn't. I gave birth to DD without any classes, and it just "came naturally" so to speak. Lol.

As for when to take them.. I would say anytime. I don't think December is too early.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I will be starting the Bradley Method classes this January and am really excited!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The childbirth class is interesting because they will talk to you about hospital specific things, show you the rooms etc. plus they will show you a few massage techniques. December is fine to take it. That is the only class I took and I did the weekend one
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're planning to take the childbirth class only.  As a part of the class, we get to tour the L&D portion of the hospital, pre-register, and stuff like that so I thought that it would be helpful.  My doctor actually recommended the infant care class and breastfeeding class but the classes were full at my local hospital and I have heard such mixed reviews about them that I didn't feel the need to search for classes at other hospitals that are far away.  I've heard that reading can teach you just as much as the classes so that's what I plan to do.  GL! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DS, we took the childbirth class and the infant care class, and I thought they were both a waste of time, but it depends on the person.  If you have read some books or information on the internet, you probably already know more than you'll learn in those classes.  There were some really clueless people there though, so for them I think it was beneficial (i.e. a woman who was in her 9th month asked what an epidural was). 

The only part that was nice was the tour of the L&D wing, but most hospitals offer that tour for free separate from the classes, so you could save the time and money and tour L&D separately.  Our class offered a brief overview of breathing exercises, but I think if you're planning a natural birth you would be better off in a specialized class, like a Bradley method class. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • We took Bradley classes last time, no infant care or breastfeeding.  Like PP said, it's nothing you can't read on the internet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I found the classes really helpful and it gives you a chance to get to know the nurses.  Especially for us, the Labor and Delivery classes were very helpful.  They introduced us to lots of coping techniques, prepared us for what to expect labor-wise and gave my DH a really good idea about what i'd be going through and what he could do .  We ended up having a really positive, med-free birth experience and I totally credit the classes.  Yes, you can look stuff up on the internet but IMO that's kind of the difference between taking an actual college class or looking stuff up online about a subject. Plus, is your DH really going to look up birthing info on his own time? I know mine wouldn't...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Why do they have to make it smell so good if you can't eat it?? BabyFruit Ticker
  • In December we're taking baby care basic, breastfeeding and doing a labor and delivery tour.

Jan 31 we start 4 weeks of lamaze.

All at Kaiser.

Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really don't need one since I have assisted in teaching them but I thought that it might be helpful for DH.  His sister is also pregnant.  She took one with her DH and it really freaked her out.  She is much more stressed out about the baby and about childbirth than she was before the class.  After she taked to DH about it, he started to get freaked out when he was not before.  Now I don't think that a class will be a good idea for him.  I think that it will hurt more than it will help.  We are going to watch some videos and I am going to talk him through what I want.

My nurse friends have done the same thing and it worked for them.  I have been told to prepare for this baby to come anytime now so I would say that December is not too early.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have asked about this too.

I have decided to take a preparing for childbirth class and a breastfeeding class.  The childbirth class is all day on Saturday and the breastfeeding class is one evening during the week.  I am taking both in January.  I don't want to wait until February since I am due in early March.

I prefer classes over just reading stuff online.  It helps me and guides me towards what I want to read about more specifically on my own. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"