February 2013 Moms

Frustrating Appointment!!

Everyone loves a doctor's appt that results in you bawling your eyes out in the car, right?

So tell me, how can I go from one appt a month ago being praised for my absolutely perfect weight gain to this month and hearing, "You've gained way too much, you need to slow down." I gained less than 5 pounds last month. According my scales (which I track weekly, wearing nothing, first thing in the morning) I've gained a little less than 20 lbs so far (at 28 weeks)...according to the doctor's office I've gained about 30! WHAT?!? I'm so confused. I just wish I could see the same person consistently...maybe that would help.

Thank you, Drs Office, for making me feel like a fat cow for the first time so far.

Husband being deployed, plus hormones, plus jet lag, plus getting a weight gain lecture, are not a good combo.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Frustrating Appointment!!

• I hate the weight issue!  Sounds like you are doing well... Even if you gained 30 - I would consider that ok! Frustrating to hear from your doc discouraging words.. as long as you feel good, are healthy and baby is good and healthy... Keep trucking on!

Keep your head up! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I honestly have no idea if my OB even gives lectures on weight.... For my first, I gained very little until the last 3 or so months. That is when I actually started showing and I shot up in weight. I think I totaled like 35 pounds for the entire pregnancy, but that was still givinv birth early and a lot of excersise.

This time I lost a lot. Over 30 pounds,I am now up 12 or so pounds, meaning I still am about 20 pounds under what I started. I see my OB every time. I had to go to the hospital the other day, and my OB was not on call. the OB I got had them weigh me, and I was down 4 pounds from my last appointment on the 7th. He comes back and tells me that my weight is great because i am up. Uh...No I am not. I was 207 when I got pregnant... I know, overweight, but my body does not show it, and I was still able to actively excersise.  within 13 weeks I dropped down to 173. I was up to 189 last appointment, but the hospital put me at 185. I am fine with weight gain.... But this time around it is the opposite. I don't get lectures about lost weight because i can not control it, and the baby is measuring alright. But I know the feeling of leaving an appointment and crying.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • There's no way I've gained 30. They weigh me with everything on, including shoes, and today my appt was right after lunch. I consistently get the response of, "Wow! You're ____ weeks? You're so tiny!"

I definitely wasn't expecting what the nurse said to me today though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think it all depends on the Dr.  At my first baby appt I was at 135, lost some weight during the first trimester and this past Monday at my 28wk appt was up to 149 (for a total weight gain of 14lbs), the month prior I was at 140. Meaning i had gained 9 of the 14lbs in just 1 month.  I was in a panic thinking that can't be healthy, im not swelling anywhere, my appetitie hasn't skyrocketed and im not eating anymore than I was and I eat a TON of fruit.  My OB said she was actually pretty pleased that I gained that much weight in such a short amount of time and would be comfortable with me gaining 15-20lbs more in the next 3 months before LO gets here. Even though she was OK with that much weight being gained in such a short amount of time, I clearly wasn't.  Ive noticed from other posts that each womans doctor has different guidlines and recommendations on what they consider "normal" or "safe" weight gain is.  I know its easier said than done but I wouldn't let it get to you, as long as your LO is on the right track size wise and there are no complications, who really cares.  Look at Jessica Simpson, she gained 70+lbs and had a perfectly healthy baby girl!!!!
  • The weight issue is so frustrating.  I have put on about 30 and at first I felt like that was a little much, and I was feeling kind of down about it. But then i decided that I refused to feel bad during this nine months. This is hard! We are growing a person - from scratch! I don't even bake cakes from scratch!! haha!  Each one of us is different and each of our children have their own needs so we will all gain differently and thats ok!

Pregnancy is not just about our bodies either, this is a mental and emotional roller coaster and we need to cut ourselves some slack.  If you have gained 30 lbs in cookies and french fries - then maybe you need to step back and re-evaluate, but if you have gained 30 lbs while eating reasonably and treating yourself every once and while for all of the hard work you are doing, then let it go.  You deserve to be happy right now and not tormented by numbers. We will all certainly be tormented by the numbers soon enough when we are feeling the pressure to "lose the baby weight."  go for a walk, treat yourself to a cookie when you get back and hang out with the belly for while and feel your little miracle move all over.  you are doing great!  

whew! turns out i needed that pep talk today too!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageDerbyBaby205:

The weight issue is so frustrating.  I have put on about 30 and at first I felt like that was a little much, and I was feeling kind of down about it. But then i decided that I refused to feel bad during this nine months. This is hard! We are growing a person - from scratch! I don't even bake cakes from scratch!! haha!  Each one of us is different and each of our children have their own needs so we will all gain differently and thats ok!

Pregnancy is not just about our bodies either, this is a mental and emotional roller coaster and we need to cut ourselves some slack.  If you have gained 30 lbs in cookies and french fries - then maybe you need to step back and re-evaluate, but if you have gained 30 lbs while eating reasonably and treating yourself every once and while for all of the hard work you are doing, then let it go.  You deserve to be happy right now and not tormented by numbers. We will all certainly be tormented by the numbers soon enough when we are feeling the pressure to "lose the baby weight."  go for a walk, treat yourself to a cookie when you get back and hang out with the belly for while and feel your little miracle move all over.  you are doing great!  

whew! turns out i needed that pep talk today too!  

thank you for this. I have been making myself sick over my weight gain (about 30 lbs at 30 weeks). Your pep talk gave me some much needed perspective :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"