Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Carrying your baby facing forward in a carrier

So I just read that if your baby hates tummy time another way to strengthen his neck muscles is to use a carrier and have him face forward. So my DS is 12 weeks today and HATES tummy time. I've tried the boppy, placing the baby on my or my husband chest just un the mat and all he does is screami. Lately he has been scratching up his legs and pushing himself around but he face on the mat.pictue a caterpillar. What do you about the carrier

Re: Carrying your baby facing forward in a carrier

• Options
    I've heard that carrying your baby all different ways is good because it builds up different muscles depending on how you carry them - so I'm not sure if face forward carrier is the same as tummy time but I know it can't hurt. I would just watch his neck and make sure he doesn't get too tired. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Front facing carriers are not ideal because they can cause issues with hip displaysia.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagejuliane2004:
    Front facing carriers are not ideal because they can cause issues with hip displaysia.

No not all carriers. You need to be aware of how the baby is positioned and how their hips should be. positioned. This website talks a out proper positioning.

https://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmentaldysplasiaofthehip/prevention/babycarriersseatsandotherequipment/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagejantyme:
    imagejuliane2004:
    No not all carriers. You need to be aware of how the baby is positioned and how their hips should be. positioned. This website talks a out proper positioning. https://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmentaldysplasiaofthehip/prevention/babycarriersseatsandotherequipment/

Correct link:

https://www.hipdysplasia.org/developmental-dysplasia-of-the-hip/prevention/baby-carriers-seats-and-other-equipment/

And I agree there are proper positions but I'm saying there are no front carriers that allow for that proper position.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

I use a carrier around the house to get us through the daily late afternoon/early evening fussy time. He is very content and calm in there because he gets to be next to mommy while moving around looking at things, so it's kind of a win-win for us. I've been using an Infantino Breathe, which is definitely not top of the line, but we can't afford a more expensive one. He never stays in there more than an hour and I don't use it every single day, so I'm really not worried about it causing problems.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My ped said it was not a good idea to use a forward facing carrier until after 6mo.  She said at that point the hips are developed enough for a carrier to not cause any issues.  I spent a lot of time holding DD up in a sitting position and doing tummytime on my chest because she hated tummytime on her mat/floor.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"