Stay at Home Moms

Do you make your bed?

I'm just curious.

I grew up in a "we make the beds" family.  All beds were made before the day got started.

My husband grew up in a "no need to make the bed, no one will see them" family.

When we first got married it drove me NUTS that he didn't make the bed.  Now I'm about 50/50 with bed making (maybe less).

What is the consensus?  Who does/doesn't make the bed? 

SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11

Re: Do you make your bed?

• I make them after I wash the bedding. The rest of the time they go unmade.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Both of our boys beds are made every morning when they get up. Ours on the other hand is made about 50% of the time. My FI works 2nds so is still in bed when I get up and will sometimes make it sometimes not. But Ill usually make our bed in the evening.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • Loading the player...
  • I make all the beds every morning
    DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I'm in the do not make them category. Unless I have company coming or like the PP when I'm washing everything.
  • I make everyone's bed every morning.  I hate getting into a messy bed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, either my husband or I make the bed daily.  We wash the bedding once a week. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nope, never, not since DH and I started living together.  And I grew up always making my bed.

When I worked, DH was always still in bed when I left for work.  I gave up years ago trying to get him to make the bed when he got up.  It's really not a big deal to me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I do everyday.  It is more because I am a complete type-A, neat freak!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageCnAmom:
    imageNandaB:
    imagechaakita:
    I'm in the do not make them category. Unless I have company coming or like the PP when I'm washing everything.
    This is me. I will fully admit I am pretty lazy in the housekeeping dept
    This is me too. Between the husband, the kids, and the animals, keeping beds looking presentable is a serious exercise in futility.

I am completely lazy in the housework department, but I just think making beds is one of those things that takes such a minimal effort, yet instantly makes a room look clean, even if the floors haven't been done in several weeks ;)

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • I am a super tidy person.  The bed has to be made every morning.  DH helps me and it only takes a minute. 
    April 2009
  • Dh gets up before me and is at work before I wake up. He always makes his side of the bed. I have no idea why he does it but I think its funny BC I'm still in bed so have the bed is nice and neat and the other have is a mess. That's usually how it stays the rest of the day too.
  • Only if I'm changing the sheets or we're expecting company.
  • I do now. I heard a saying about a month ago that if you make your bed, the day will go better. So now I do.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • imagenowababy:
    I make the bed in that I at least throw the comforter up over the pillows and smooth it out. Sometimes I put the pillows on top. Takes 2 seconds. Otherwise I feel stressed. A made bed makes sooo much of a difference in my day. DD is still in a crib but when she moves to a toddler bed we'll do the same.

This. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I make it every day.  I feel better getting back into it if it has been made.  DH thinks I am nuts, and he could care less about it being made.  He leaves for work at 5:30 and I don't get up till 6, so most of the time I make it anyway.  On the weekend he will make it because he knows it bothers me.  
  • I usually make the bed.  No one cares about it but me and I grew up in a family who didn't do it.  I don't know why, it just makes me feel better so I do it.  I haven't made it the last few days though.  I'm just trying to get done what I have to so that has dropped to the bottom of the list :(
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Yes, everyday and I change the sheets at least once a week.  My husband could care less but does occasionally make our bed or DD's bed just because it makes me happy:)
  • I do if I remember and get around to it. I go through good periods where it happens daily and bad periods where it only happens when I change the sheets.  Always if we know company is coming over.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKateB1984:
    Rarely. I used to always do it, but DS2 and DD are early risers, so I usually fall out of bed and rush to get the awake child before the other two wake up. I hustle them downstairs and then don't see my bed again until I'm crawling back into it at night.

This is my situation. Usually up with the boys by 5:30 and I hustle to get them so no.
  • Yes, every morning.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Yes, otherwise every time I walk by the room I feel like I am not on top of my life.  All the sheets are changed weekly too. 

And I guess a perk to still using a sleep sack with DS is there is not much to do in that dept!  

BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageCherryblossoms07:
    I make everyone's bed every morning.  I hate getting into a messy bed. 

I agree. My kids' beds are kind of harder to make but we try. :) 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • We recently moved into a new house we bought, rather than the rental (thank god) but we lost a bedroom. So now that my "office" is in our bedroom I can't handle the mess. Our bedroom has never been so clean! 

Yes I make my bed every day, not right away but before I get to work.

LO is still in a crib, and so there's nothing to make yet. But I imagine i'll make his bed too in the future.  

• We don't...I actually wish we did, but I just never end up doing it unless we're changing sheets.  For awhile (and by that I mean 3 weeks max) I did it everyday and really liked it, but that didn't last long.

It doesn't make much sense for me to make it in the morning because I still lay down and take a nap everyday when DS does!  

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • I do not make the bed when I get up.  The kids don't make their beds.  I pull the sheets and comforter up when I fold clothes.  Every other day the bed feels made when you climb in.
  • I never make our bed unless I'm putting clean sheets on.  Sometimes I'll make it if we have company and there is a chance they might peek in our room.

• Clearly I live under a rock. I make my bed everyday. I thought everyone did! 
  • Yes!  Complete with 4-5 big decorative pillows on top.   It makes me crazy when my bed isn't made.  
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • If no one is coming over, then I half make the bed. Meaning I just leave the fancy pillows off. If i know people are coming over, I prop all the pretty pillows up properly. Regardless, I make it (mostly) every day. It makes me feel like my whole room is a disaster if not.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• I don't but someday I might.  Our youngest naps on our bed so it's in use at least once during the day and my husband and I each use a different blanket during the winter to keep our sanity so it's pretty much usless to make our bed.  I wouldn't even think of making our oldests bed because she makes forts and "beds" out of her blankets all the time so 99% of the time we are getting her blankets from the living room to take to her bed at night.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

• I make mine every day but my hubby is the same. When he does make the bed (to make me happy), it's usually not to my standards anyway :)
  • I turn around and make the bed the minute I get out of it. I hate to see an unmade bed. I do it in hotels to, when there are housekeepers to do it for me. DH gets annoyed at that but I can't help it. 
  • We don't make the bed.  I only make it when I put new sheets on....maybe.  Or if a friend is going to be in my room for some wierd reason or another.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"