May 2013 Moms

Switching Midwives within the same practice *LONG*

There are two midwives in the practice that I go to. With my first pregnancy my sister recommended going to that midwife because she had been hers as well. She was great! We clicked, no problems etc. The only thing was that she was slowly starting to cut back her days that she worked. Towards the end of my pregnancy I was having tons of contractions starting around 35 weeks that they were trying to stop and keep a close eye on. I had to have several appts those last few weeks.

Because she wasn't there but 2 days a week at the point I had to see the other midwife quite a bit at the end. Actually more than my own midwife. My midwife actually told me not to go into labor on this particular weekend (half kidding/ half would have been completely serious if going into labor was a choice) because her brother who she hadn't seen in several years was here for the weekend to visit and the whole family was together. She ended up having to leave the family gathering and come into the hospital to deliver my baby. This was her choice as she didn't technically have to come in, but I wouldn't have been able to do my waterbirth without her there.

Anyway...this time I decided to go with the other midwife that I saw a lot at the end of my other pregnancy just because this is our last baby and I thought I'd try something different. No bad feelings towards my first midwife, I just wanted to try out the other midwife. Now I feel horrible. I see her in her office when I go to my appts and she even congratulated me with a disappointed look on her face...like why didn't you come back to me?! NOW...my midwife is going to be gone the day of my ultrasound and they want me to see my first midwife to go over the results. I'm totally okay with that other than feeling like a complete jerk! I'm kind of feeling like if everything goes well maybe I should just switch back to seeing her.

Any advice? Did I do a horrible thing?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Switching Midwives within the same practice *LONG*

• I would just tell her you really like her and you're fine either way, but since she cut back her hours you were just concerned about her availability and thought it might be easier with the other one.  And also how much you appreciate everything she did for you.  But keep in mind that goes with the job of being a MW--there are a lot of sacrifices because labor and delivery and pregnancy are so unpredictable.  She knew that going into the profession. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • You didn't do anything wrong.  This is your pregnancy and you need to be an advocate for your care.  I might say something to her, though, if the midwives work together and you may need to see her on occasion or if she ends up delivering your baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not exactly sure what I would do, because all of the practices I have experience required you to rotate through them. I would probably just express your appreciation for the fantastic care that she gave you earlier in your last pregnancy, and maybe mention that you were sad that she ended up cutting back her hours. Maybe that would be enough for her to "get" that it wasn't anything against her?
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"