January 2013 Moms
Options

Talk to me about breast pumps

I know this has been posted before, but I'm too lazy to go looking for it :)

Our friend was going to let me use hers, but she is moving now, so I'm now having to do research to figure out which one I want. Our insurance covers 80%. I believe the one she was going to let us use was Medela...

ETA: spelling

Jan 2013 Mom's Siggy Challenge - Me and my Valentine <3<a href="http://tinypic.com?ref=111ig68" target="_blank">Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Talk to me about breast pumps

• Options
    imageAuntieKelsey07:

Our friend was going to let me use hers, but she is moving now, so I'm now having to do research to figure out which one I want. Our insurance covers 80%. I believe the one she was going to let us use was Medela...

I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and love it.  Just an FYI though, it isn't recommended to share a breast pump because milk can back up through the tubing and contaminate the unit for the next user.  They can also lose suction over time, so you might think you're not producing a lot of milk when really it's just that the pump isn't pumping as effectively as it should. 

I was in the same situation, where my BFF offered me her pump (which she got, in turn, used off of Craigslist... ick!) but I chose to get a brand-new one instead.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used a Medela Freestyle and was very happy with it.
    Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageReyka9:
    imageAuntieKelsey07:

I have the Medela Pump In Style Advanced and love it.  Just an FYI though, it isn't recommended to share a breast pump because milk can back up through the tubing and contaminate the unit for the next user.  They can also lose suction over time, so you might think you're not producing a lot of milk when really it's just that the pump isn't pumping as effectively as it should. 

I was in the same situation, where my BFF offered me her pump (which she got, in turn, used off of Craigslist... ick!) but I chose to get a brand-new one instead.

The contamination factor is only true with an open pump system and the contamination can also ruin the pump for you.  I would recommend you go with a closed pump system for several reasons.  Ameda and Hygenia are both great brands.  Someone was talking about how one of the Medela models is made with some sort of valve which essentially turns it into a closed system, but I don't remember which one.  I would never buy an open system pump though.  It's not worth it when there are better pumps at the same price point.

I'm not a fan of Medela as a company anyway.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    I'd double check your insurance.  Sometimes they will only cover certain types or brands.  For example, mine will only cover hand pumps.  My husband's will cover one specific brand/model of hand and one specific brand/model of electric. And it has to be ordered a certain way. 
  • Options
    My insurance covers any manual or electric pump (just not hospital based). So my options are pretty open. I'll look into the Ameda Purely Yours - thanks!
    Jan 2013 Mom's Siggy Challenge - Me and my Valentine <3<a href="http://tinypic.com?ref=111ig68" target="_blank">Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Im pretty sure that as of the 1st of the year insurance will cover 100% of breast pumps.  Might want to double check with your insurance company. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:
    imageReyka9:
    imageAuntieKelsey07:

The contamination factor is only true with an open pump system and the contamination can also ruin the pump for you.  I would recommend you go with a closed pump system for several reasons.  Ameda and Hygenia are both great brands.  Someone was talking about how one of the Medela models is made with some sort of valve which essentially turns it into a closed system, but I don't remember which one.  I would never buy an open system pump though.  It's not worth it when there are better pumps at the same price point.

I'm not a fan of Medela as a company anyway.

Yes, this is true.  In my case, the pump my friend wanted to loan me was also a Medela and I thought they were an open system?  I guess not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I called my insurance company and they only cover pumps if medically necessary like a premie and they only over the hospital grade rental, so I went ahead and registered for a pump in style and someone bought it for me. Thankfully!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"