Parenting after a Loss

So tired whine warning

Ugh. I was up 16x with DS last night. This is typical and he has never slept longer than 2 hours ever. I feel so freakin burnt out, 6 months is a long time to get no sleep. Then last night DH is going on about how it's my fault since I don't nap during the day ... Yeah that's so possible. Anyway just mostly venting because I'm about to blow up because I am so tired and DH does not understand. Sigh. When the hell is he going to sleep longer!?!?

Re: So tired whine warning

• Have you considered contacting a sleep consultant?  My coworker's daughter was an awful sleeper.. around 6m she did end up contacting a sleep consultant.. I don't know the particulars, but I know one of the things they did end up doing was her and her husband bought ear plugs and took "shifts".. so, one parent would go to bed at like 7:30pm and sleep until 12:30am uninterrupted, and the other would go to bed at 12:30 (or earlier if the baby was still sleeping), and sleep until 5:30.. it allowed them each to get a solid 5 hours of sleep, which made it SO much easier to handle the kids.. at least, this is what she told me..

I'm sorry he's such a poor sleeper :(  I really hope he turns a corner for you soon!!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • imagemissbea3:
    Have you considered contacting a sleep consultant?nbsp; My coworker's daughter was an awful sleeper.. around 6m she did end up contacting a sleep consultant.. I don't know the particulars, but I know one of the things they did end up doing was her and her husband bought ear plugs and took "shifts".. so, one parent would go to bed at like 7:30pm and sleep until 12:30am uninterrupted, and the other would go to bed at 12:30 or earlier if the baby was still sleeping, and sleep until 5:30.. it allowed them each to get a solid 5 hours of sleep, which made it SO much easier to handle the kids.. at least, this is what she told me..I'm sorry he's such a poor sleeper :nbsp; I really hope he turns a corner for you soon!!

I wish we could take shifts. DH believes that since he works during the day I need to wake up at night. It's so frustrating because I feel like I work too! He took care of DS one night at 2 months and never again.
    But I had a job interview last week and if I get it DH will be taking te remaining 6 moths of leave. So maybe he'll get a good dose of understanding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Hm, that's a tough one.. my coworker and her husband both work.. but, in the same breath.. I'm a firm believer that being a SAHM is just as much "work" as having a career.. honestly, at times, I think it's much more difficult!!

That's really hard.. perhaps when you've gotten some rest and are feeling a little "calmer", you could talk to DH and just explain to him.. even if it meant letting you go to sleep early, and him minding DS for a few hours alone before he'd normally go to bed.. ya know, like if he normally goes to bed at 10:30, let you sleep from 7:30-10:30 uninterrupted, and then if DS isn't down by 10:30, or wakes up after 10:30, then you'll take care of it.. but just having those couple of hours of straight sleep might help..

I know when I was home on maternity leave and DH had gone back to work that's what we did.. I would sleep from like 7-7:30 until like 10:30-11ish.. DH would try getting DS down before 11, if it was successful, great, if not, then he woke me up, I took over and he went to bed.. and then I did all the overnight stuff since he was working and I was home.. 

It's so hard.. especially when DH's aren't "sensitive" to the fact that you are WORKING all day long even though you're not collecting a paycheck, kwim?

Fortunately, my DH had gotten 8 weeks parental leave, so when my maternity ended, I went back to work for 8 weeks and he stayed home.. he quickly saw just how much work "being home" was.. I've said it before on the bump.. but it was the BEST thing because it really gave him an appreciation for how difficult it is to be at home all day long with a fussy baby.. 

Anyway.. I'll stop rambling.. I'm sorry you're in such a tough spot right now.. hopefully things will change for you soon!!

Loss #1: 18w5d.. D&E 04Mar03 BFP #2: Jun2011.. missed miscarriage. D&C 08Jul2011 8w4d. BFP #3: Nov2011.. Our Rainbow Baby!!! DS Born: 15Jul2012! BFP #4: Nov2012.. 2U1 - DS2 born 12Jul2013.  BFP #5: 01Jan2014..3U3!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My blog about raising 2U2!
  • Oh girl whine away.  L has reverted back in the past 2 weeks to not sleeping in her crib.  She will only sleep in our bed and since DH has to be up at 4:30 am for work that means he gets to sleep peacefully in the guest room while she sleeps with me. 

She moves around soo much that I'm constantly waking up thinking she is awake, and then when she doesn't wake up I stay awake because I'm sure she is going to wake up soon and it will suck to just fall back asleep and get woken up.  Then the dogs need let out then she does wake up then DH wakes up.  NEVER ENDING CYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya and let's just take a nap during the day.  It isn't like we are trying to parent or keep up a house or anything. 

I feel like I am going to stab someone.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Argh, bump ate the long, articulate version of my reply! So this one is shorter and less articulate....

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. We had similar issues with DD and I remember feeling like I would never sleep again. I eventually didn't even want to try to sleep, because I knew I'd be up 45 minutes later and it didn't seem worth it.

I think PPs have good advice. I also think you will need your DH on your side to get through this. Honestly, I didn't make my DH pitch in as I should have, and I still harbor resentment about it. Looking back, here's what I should have done (maybe it would work for you): Pick a night where DH doesn't have to go to work the next morning. Explain calmly that you can't adequately describe the challenge to him; he'll just have to experience it himself. Set him up with whatever he needs to get your DS through the night, and go to sleep, preferably somewhere you can't hear them. In the morning, you can gently explain that you go through nights like that every.single.night, and you need him to step up and do his part.

Of course, everyone's DH / relationship / LO are unique, so this might not work for you - but it's a thought. In any case, I hope your DS turns the corner soon. You WILL sleep again!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagepiedpiper07:
    imagemissbea3:
    Have you considered contacting a sleep consultant?nbsp; My coworker's daughter was an awful sleeper.. around 6m she did end up contacting a sleep consultant.. I don't know the particulars, but I know one of the things they did end up doing was her and her husband bought ear plugs and took "shifts".. so, one parent would go to bed at like 7:30pm and sleep until 12:30am uninterrupted, and the other would go to bed at 12:30 or earlier if the baby was still sleeping, and sleep until 5:30.. it allowed them each to get a solid 5 hours of sleep, which made it SO much easier to handle the kids.. at least, this is what she told me..I'm sorry he's such a poor sleeper :nbsp; I really hope he turns a corner for you soon!!
    I wish we could take shifts. DH believes that since he works during the day I need to wake up at night. It's so frustrating because I feel like I work too! He took care of DS one night at 2 months and never again. But I had a job interview last week and if I get it DH will be taking te remaining 6 moths of leave. So maybe he'll get a good dose of understanding.

Ugh, I hope he does get it. I'm sorry you're run so ragged :(

imageimageimageTTC since 07/11 | natural m/c 08/11 | BFP 12/6/2011 | Elinor Anna born 8/18/2012 | BFP #2 1/16/2014
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We can hug and understand eachother lol.  My LO is the same.  6 1/2 months old and has not slept more than 3 hours straight EVER yet.  As I type this, she is already up, right on time, one hour after putting her down. :)  Last night I almost lost it but ya know what - then I regrouped and remembered, this time will pass so quickly in the long run.  Just hang in there mama.

PS: My baby takes two naps a day, and I have made it a point to nap with her for the first morning nap (even if it is only a half hour sometimes).  It has helped immensely!  I super super suggest it!  Good luck! 

? J + J = 5/29/10.?
    TTC since 8/2010. Irregular cycles after stopping BCP.
    1st BFP! 3/26/11. Missed M/C - D&C 5/2/11.
    Always missed: Our little Blueberry. It's Never Over.
    2nd BFP! 9/3/11 on last unmedicated cycle! EDD: 5/11/12
    1stBeta @13DPO = 289, 2ndBeta @15DPO = 619!
    ? Clementine Lorraine, we love you so much already! ?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagechloebeth930:

Oh girl whine away.  L has reverted back in the past 2 weeks to not sleeping in her crib.  She will only sleep in our bed and since DH has to be up at 4:30 am for work that means he gets to sleep peacefully in the guest room while she sleeps with me. 

She moves around soo much that I'm constantly waking up thinking she is awake, and then when she doesn't wake up I stay awake because I'm sure she is going to wake up soon and it will suck to just fall back asleep and get woken up.  Then the dogs need let out then she does wake up then DH wakes up.  NEVER ENDING CYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya and let's just take a nap during the day.  It isn't like we are trying to parent or keep up a house or anything. 

I feel like I am going to stab someone.

This is almost us exactly.  Minus the guest room.  We have a small apartment and DH gets up for work at 6, meaning even if LO is asleep - I'm up....
    ? J + J = 5/29/10.?
    TTC since 8/2010. Irregular cycles after stopping BCP.
    1st BFP! 3/26/11. Missed M/C - D&C 5/2/11.
    Always missed: Our little Blueberry. It's Never Over.
    2nd BFP! 9/3/11 on last unmedicated cycle! EDD: 5/11/12
    1stBeta @13DPO = 289, 2ndBeta @15DPO = 619!
    ? Clementine Lorraine, we love you so much already! ?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much everyone. I do feel better knowing I'm not the only one and it will pass eventually. Some days are just so overwhelming! I am hoping to have DH take care of DS on a weekend night sometime soon. Maybe even try to sleep in shifts as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"