December 2012 Moms
Options

i feel like an ass

I work in a grocery store deli and there are only two of us that work the 12 to 9 closing shift. The other lady just called and asked me to work her shift bc her sister's husband is dying. I feel like the biggest ass for saying no but my baby shower is this evening!I told her I could work the majority of it if our boss would let me close early, since my shower is at 7. He said no, so now she has to work while a loved one passes away.

Re: i feel like an ass

• Options
    If my sister's husband were dying I would absolutely not work. I would want to be there for my loved one. I hope this poor lady seriously doesn't have to go to work tonight.

A baby shower can be rescheduled, death is a bit more permanent.

I'm honestly not sure why you posted this? Are you trying to make yourself feel better?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    imageimage
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better he may not pass tonight or tomorrow. There are no set dates/times for these things. Your boss can't make you work, he can always ask a daytime person to handle it and you have every right to say "No, I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time." 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't try to make her feel bad.  This is a job.  They can find someone other than these 2 workers to cover the shift- maybe a manager or just close early.  Don't dare make her feel bad for not wanting to miss her baby shower.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't blame you for saying no, because you have plans.

But, I think your boss is an asshat for making her come in, and he should either get coverage, or allow you to close early.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options

Is there any way to split her shift up?  Like, you work a good part of it (maybe noon to 6) and then a morning person work 6 to close?  Either way, don't feel bad.  You offered to do what you could, and it's unfortunate that your boss wasn't willing to help too (hey, could he close?). 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

imageimage

• Options

imageddub09:
    If my sister's husband were dying I would absolutely not work. I would want to be there for my loved one. I hope this poor lady seriously doesn't have to go to work tonight. A baby shower can be rescheduled, death is a bit more permanent. I'm honestly not sure why you posted this? Are you trying to make yourself feel better?

Oh, and don't try to make her feel bad, she did nothing wrong here.  It's not the other woman's husband or son that is dying, and even if it were, it's not the OP's immediate family, either and it's not as though she is going out to the movies, this is her baby shower that has been planned, room has been rented, people invited, food ordered, etc.  It's similar to expecting her to cancel her wedding because her coworker's in-law is dying.  It's up to the coworker to stand up for herself and tell the boss that she is not coming in.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • Options
    imageLoveBeingAWife33008:
    Don't try to make her feel bad.nbsp; This is a job.nbsp; They can find someone other than these 2 workers to cover the shift maybe a manager or just close early.nbsp; Don't dare make her feel bad for not wanting to miss her baby shower.

I do think it is the manager's responsibility to find another worker. I don't care if the OP works or not, but I didn't really get a sympathetic vibe about this woman who had to work. I just don't think baby shower and loss of a loved one are the same thing.

And you are right, it is a job. Which is why I think the other worker shouldn't be worrying about finding coverage during a serious family emergency.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageSingleMom31:
    Is there any way to split her shift up?nbsp; Like, you work a good part of it maybe noon to 6 and then a morning person work 6 to close?nbsp; Either way, don't feel bad.nbsp; You offered to do what you could, and it's unfortunate that your boss wasn't willing to help toonbsp;hey, could he close?.nbsp;

I offered to come in and work part of it. There are only 3 in our dept. One lady opens, I close, and the other lady works both shifts to cover our 2 days off. So the day lady will have already worked a full shift today and would be on overtime to come back and close. I'm not sure why he won't just let us do that.
  • Options
    imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

imageddub09:
    If my sister's husband were dying I would absolutely not work. I would want to be there for my loved one. I hope this poor lady seriously doesn't have to go to work tonight. A baby shower can be rescheduled, death is a bit more permanent. I'm honestly not sure why you posted this? Are you trying to make yourself feel better?

Oh, and don't try to make her feel bad, she did nothing wrong here.  It's not the other woman's husband or son that is dying, and even if it were, it's not the OP's immediate family, either and it's not as though she is going out to the movies, this is her baby shower that has been planned, room has been rented, people invited, food ordered, etc.  It's similar to expecting her to cancel her wedding because her coworker's in-law is dying.  It's up to the coworker to stand up for herself and tell the boss that she is not coming in.

Yes, my wedding and baby shower were exactly the same.

I don't care if OP works or not, but I'm not sure what the point of the post was.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imagepeanutrach1:
    imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

I don't blame you for saying no, because you have plans.

But, I think your boss is an asshat for making her come in, and he should either get coverage, or allow you to close early.

This exactly.

Don't let this ruin your shower b/c it's not your fault. Terrible news for your coworker but it is your boss' responsibility to manage this situation correctly.

This is what I meant to say and I may have come across as harsh. I don't think OP should work, but I don't think the other person should have to work either. I think either close the deli, pay the other person OT, or have the manager close.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I dunno, I think your boss is the ass here. You weren't scheduled to work, it would be nice if you could fill in for someone but you have (big) plans and can't. The store should call in someone from another store or find someone else to cover, maybe from another shift. Your coworker should call out, it's not her problem to cover the shift if she has a big personal need such as this.
    Jude Wayne - Born 4/23/10 Violet Patricia - Born 12/5/12 Breastfeeding, baby-wearing work-at-home mom of 2 living in Rockville, MD
  • Options

Don't feel bad and don't let it ruin your b. shower.  If the situation was different and you were sick and couldn't come in, you wouldn't feel bad, so don't let your b. shower being tonight change how you feel about not being able to come in.  It's the manger's job to find a replacement for your co-worker, that's what' he/she gets paid for, and if they can't find someone then it's THEIR job to fill in. 

Go and enjoy your baby shower.  

• Options

imageddub09:

This right here is why you came across harshly, and perhaps a shower can be rescheduled, but in this case it doesn't need to be.  It's not her family member who is dying.

• Options
    imageprncebride:

imageddub09:
    If my sister's husband were dying I would absolutely not work. I would want to be there for my loved one. I hope this poor lady seriously doesn't have to go to work tonight.

A baby shower can be rescheduled, death is a bit more permanent.

I'm honestly not sure why you posted this? Are you trying to make yourself feel better?

This right here is why you came across harshly, and perhaps a shower can be rescheduled, but in this case it doesn't need to be.  It's not her family member who is dying.

Which I am sorry for and did already own that I reacted harshly.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"