Babies: 6 - 9 Months

quick developer slowed down

DS has been on the quicker developer - army crawling & pulling self up by 6 mo and crawling just short of 7 mo.  DH was an early developer (walking BY 8 months, etc.).  It appeared DS was on a similar path, but now I feel like he's stalled out.  By no means do I want to rush him, he'll do things on his own time, and frankly, I'm ok with him just crawling right now. 

He will be 9 months next week & has made NO effort to walk.  he occasionally cruises the furniture, but finds it easier to sit down & crawl to what he wants & then pull himself up.  He can pull himself up on anything with one hand, and barely even really uses it for support.  However, he makes no attempt to stand by himself, and when you try to hold his hands & have him walk between your legs, he sits down.  It used to take him a few weeks to master a skill & then he was quickly onto learning the next.

I noticed this slow in development around the time we switched him from a daycare center where he was with kids his own age, but only wanted to watch & play w/ the older more developed kids, to an in home daycare where the only other kid is a 4 year old (he plays with her a lot).  Is it a coincidence?  Is this normal for them to slow down?

Re: quick developer slowed down

• It doesn't sound like he's slowed down at all. 9 months is still a good age for pulling up and not wanting to walk yet. Many babies don't walk until well after a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemabenner1:
    It doesn't sound like he's slowed down at all. 9 months is still a good age for pulling up and not wanting to walk yet. Many babies don't walk until well after a year.

This.  I think you are probably worried because your older child did these things sooner than most.  Keep encouraging him but try not to worry.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • That was my DS exactly.  He crawled at 6 months, pulled up at 7 months and started cruising at 7.5 months.  Then he just.... stalled.  He didn't walk until 14 months.  He is a perfectly developing 3 year old.  You only need to worry if he starts to majorly regress.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He's fine! He still sounds right on track, even early. Many babies are doing this until a year or after. It is natural for them to hit a plateau, especially if they have had lots of big developmental things in a row. They are learning so much, so fast, and their little brains just might need a break. Babies that hit milestones really early doesn't necessarily mean they will hit the following milestones early. He may be ready to walk around 10 or 11 months, which is still early, but it seems like he stalled because he crawled so early - if that makes sense. Plateaus in development are totally normal.
    Due 3.27.14 (lame because I cannot figure out how to save a fun ticker.....)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"