Preemies
Options

Really bad separation anxiety :(

Just want to vent and possibly get some advice.  My son was born 6 weeks early, it was the scariest most horrible time of my life.  I felt like I was robbed of the joy of having a baby.  The day my son was born was not a joyous occasion like every other mom I know.  I had an emergency C-section b/c of placenta previa, and after he was born he was rushed to the Childrens Hospital an hour away from my hospital.  I never got to hold him, bond with him, learn how to breastfeed.  It was terrible.  As soon as I was discharged my husband and I went to see him and I spent every one of the 10 days he was in the NICU there with him.  Anywayhe is almost 6 months now but my heart still aches and I still cry.  It breaks my heart that I didn't get to be with my own child for the first 48 hours of his life and that he had strangers taking care of him.  I just can't seem to get past these sad feelings.  And due to being separated from him when he was born (also when he was born, not knowing if he was even going to live), I have extremmmme separation anxiety.  Like I said he is almost 6 months old, and my husband and I still have not had a date night.  Its not that I don't trust anyone to babysit, its just that I am terrified something will happen to him when I'm not there.  My husband will watch him every now and then so I can get out of the house for an hour and even then the whole time i'm out I can't even enjoy it because I am so worried (even though my husband is an amazing dad).  I feel so helpless!  How can I get past this?  I want our life back, I want to be able to go out to dinner with friends, and I don't want to be one of those weirdo parents that never leav their kids :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Really bad separation anxiety :(

• Options

imageBostonKisses2:
    You may want to talk to your OB or your primary doc about this.  The red flag in your statements to me is that you're having a hard time getting past the sad feelings.  There could be something else like PTSD triggering the anxiety, and maybe talking to a therapist or even getting medication can help you out.  I understand what you're saying.  I have a lot of anxiety issues myself, and it can be crushing when you're worrying so much.  ::hugs::

Thank you.  I have been thinking of talking to a therapist or something I just didn't really know how to go about it and honestly I thought I could get better on my own.

Is it normal to have separation anxiety after having a birth experience like mine?

• Options
    thanks so much.  how did you get past it? When did you first leave your baby with someone?  I just want to be able to run to the grocery store by myself and not be thinking the whole time that something is going to happen to him.  And of course my husband and I are in need of a date night desperately, we really deserve it.  And I feel its unhealthy to neglect our marriage, couple time is important.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience, I really appreciate it!  My husband is such a good father, very responsible and observant, and so affectionate with our son so I have no rational reason to be nervouse.  But whenever I do leave the house I just have this ridiculous anxiety that some horrible accident will happen.  I just want to get over it!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"