December 2012 Moms

Dog acting so weird

This might sound dumb, but our dog has been acting crazy around me the past couple of days. She won't leave my side, she always has to have her paws on my tummy or her head on my lap, and if she's not touching me, she just lays there staring at me. None of this is normal. I know that our horses always push on my tummy with their noses, because they can feel the baby and she just kicks them back. The dog hasn't been like this though. Do you think she can sense labor coming soon? Do I sound stupid? Does anybody else have strange acting pets lately?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dog acting so weird

• You dont sound stupid at all. My friend had the same experience with her dog. The dog followed her around and laid with her 2 days before the baby was due. She had no idea what was going to happen but the dog did! You never know. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Let us know if your dog is right. Dogs can sense some pretty unbelievable things so it wouldnt surprise me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • My cat is the same way, and my bulldog is very reluctant to leave my side suddenly, when normally she will follow our boxer everywhere. I even have to trick her into going outside lately. My guess is they can sense a coming change. As I type, my cat is curled up on my bump, staring at me.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• imagepeanutrach1:
    Yes, both my dog and cat are acting extra clingy lately. Now my dog wants to join me in the bathroom each time I go in there. I think they definitely have a sixth sense that something is happening.

Yes! She whined outside the bathroom door while I was in the shower and was still laying there when I finally opened the door.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dog is acting the same way, but it has been for about the last week. It is starting to drive me nuts because I can't get anything done without tripping over him (he's a doxie). He is currently laying in between my legs shivering....normally he would be rolled up in the blanket that is 2 feet away.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My friend's dog acted the same way for the days leading up to labour. Animals can sense things. Maybe you will have your babe soon! :D
  • My dog has been a little more clingy as well. He is typically a very independent dog that does not require a lot of attention and just likes to be left alone but now he follows me around, sleeps right by me, and last night I notice him staring at me while laying on the couch. I do think he realizes things are going to change soon. I ask the vet the other day when I took him in for a check-up and she told me that what he was doing sounded pretty normal near the end of pregnancies.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • My doxie is acting like a freak! Usually, if I'm home, she still just hangs out in her bed or occasionally will come find me. Also, she is normally my lazy dog...if I'm sleeping in, she's sleeping in.

This week however, within 10 minutes of my DH leaving for work, she is up and wanting to go outside, then in record time she back at the door whining to come back in...it's not cold and she doesn't normally do that when it snows! If I'm not letting her back in within a minute or two she starts screaming like she's being beaten! She also stalks me around the house...I'm in semi-nesting mode, so I've been cleaning everything out or just cleaning, and she has to come in and check on me. If I sit on the couch, she is in the living room within seconds and wanting on my lap.

All of this insanity stops when DH gets home...and his dog acts pretty normal. She has distanced herself from me a little, and has taken to sitting and staring at my DH for no reason... 

Animals are perceptive, so it's going to be interesting to see what else my strange little dog does... :) 

Anniversary
  • We had a jack russell terrier who died back in August.  When I first got pregnant, I swear, she knew before we did because she became really clingy with me.  She would normally sleep down at our feet at night, but took to sleeping right by my belly or up by my head.  She just wanted to sit with me all the time or would follow me around.  I wonder what she would be doing now if she was still with us.  Reading these posts makes me miss her so muchCrying
  • imagepeanutrach1:

imagejac409:
    We had a jack russell terrier who died back in August.  When I first got pregnant, I swear, she knew before we did because she became really clingy with me.  She would normally sleep down at our feet at night, but took to sleeping right by my belly or up by my head.  She just wanted to sit with me all the time or would follow me around.  I wonder what she would be doing now if she was still with us.  Reading these posts makes me miss her so muchCrying

Your post made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss.

and me , I am so sorry for your loss :(, I have two yorkies and they are my whole world,  they both are very affectionate but my little one licked my belly yesterday it was weird, and he spoons around my belly too:) I think they know

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesarahtc17:
    imagepeanutrach1:

imagejac409:
    We had a jack russell terrier who died back in August.  When I first got pregnant, I swear, she knew before we did because she became really clingy with me.  She would normally sleep down at our feet at night, but took to sleeping right by my belly or up by my head.  She just wanted to sit with me all the time or would follow me around.  I wonder what she would be doing now if she was still with us.  Reading these posts makes me miss her so muchCrying

Your post made me cry. I am so sorry for your loss.

and me , I am so sorry for your loss :(, I have two yorkies and they are my whole world,  they both are very affectionate but my little one licked my belly yesterday it was weird, and he spoons around my belly too:) I think they know

Thanks :)  She was 13 and had cancer, so it wasn't unexpected.  Still devastating though.  For those who don't have kids yet, your pets are your kids, ya know?  I'm not sure if its the hormonal changes or what it is that they sense, but I have no doubt that they know about our LOs.  That is very cute about the belly licking!

• My dog was like this two days before I went into labor and the day before he was down right worried, like tail tucked and just wanting to be glued to me the whole day. Very odd behavior. Had my baby the day after. Good luck!
  • Our dog is a little freaked out by the whole baby thing.  At first, he avoided me like the plague and wouldn't even look at me.  He's much more affectionate now, but still gets really awkward if he's too close to my belly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My cat has been following me around the house, running after me if I change rooms.  She's acting kitty-spooked with huge, saucer eyes.  It's very strange for her because she's a laid-back, fat cat normally.  It's cute.  I think she knows somethings up.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I so hope this means something. My cat who usually lays in the other room and ignores everyone has been all over me for the past couple days, and my dog keeps trying to hug my belly, lol!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"