Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Trying to let milk dry up

I made the decision to stop pumping and now am trying to determine the best way to aid my milk in drying up. I have never made enough milk for my breasts to become engorged or anything so I've never had any pain from not expressing milk. The past couple days I've been pumping in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once before bed only. Should I do it that way or should I just wait until my breasts become so full that it is painful and I have to pump? Advice please!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Trying to let milk dry up

• Don't know about pumping but cabbage leaves are supposed to help. Maybe look that up? 

• I was able to dry up in roughly a week after pumping for three months. I stopped pumping cold turkey and just hand expressed when it became painful. I did use cabbage leaves, when you get engorged your breasts can get hot and the cold cabbage leaves are soothing. Beware of mastitis... I was starting to get angry red patches but hand expressing and massaging the affected area helped. 
    chasechristmas

Chase Matthew born at 35 weeks on July 31st

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Cabbage leaves worked for me too! Everyone thought I was crazy but they definitely helped! Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemorayme1:
    So sad.

Had a good time looking through your posts.  You're just a bundle of fun, aren't you?  Rude.

*E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• imagemorayme1:
    So sad.

Take your unwanted and rude opinions else where. Like it is any of your business how the OP chooses to feed her child.  

chasechristmas

Chase Matthew born at 35 weeks on July 31st

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imagemorayme1:
    So sad.
    Why waste your time and mine? I did not ask for opinions on my choice, I asked for advice on the choice I have already made. I am so tired of people who act like mothers who formula feed their children for whatever reason are not as good of mothers as those who breastfeed. I don't know who your think you are.

• imageAfunky6:

imageMandy+J+Baby:
    I had an oversupply problem and my lactation consultant told me to decrease pumping time by a couple minutes each session to get my supply down. So I would think that would work for you too. Try pumping those 3 times a day and each day take off a minute or two at each time until you don't need to pump anymore. Good luck!

This. Or you could extend the time. If you pump at say 7am, 1pm, and 7 pm. Maybe drop the last pumping session and move the middle one back. Instead of pumping at 1, pump at 4 or 5. And then go to bed and pump in the morning again. Just beware of mastitis. That is no fun! If you see red patches, definitely try pumping to relieve pressure and put some cold cabbage leaves on it. Supposedly the cabbage leaves being cold helps dry up the milk!

thank you very much!! I will just play it by ear and see what is working.

• cold cabbage leaves and antihystamines (benadryl)  i was dried up in 3 days!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"