December 2012 Moms
Options

Period-like cramping - Early sign of labor?

Today, I've been having what feels like mild menstrual cramping on and off for about an hour and a half. Also, I've been having more lower back pain. Is this something that I should be calling the hospital about or is this just my body prepping for labor??? 
Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary image

Re: Period-like cramping - Early sign of labor?

• Options

What did your doctor tell you?

My midwife said that when they are 3-4 minutes apart, lasting for one minute for over an hour to call in. 

You can have cramping as pre-labor, but it could also be dehydration. Drink a really big glass of water and lay down on your left side and see what happen. 

With my first, after two or three contractions I couldn't be laying or sitting down. I was up and walking around through. 

Good luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've had it for weeks...my MW says it's a sign that I'm effacing.  I wouldn't call the doctor or hospital about it or anything.  You'll know when you're having actual call-the-hospital contractions.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor has told me to go in if I have contractions 3-5 minutes apart lasting for an hour, period-like cramping, or leaking of fluid. If you are unsure it never hurts to call.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Give your doctor a call and see what you are advised to do. Dr may say just drink water and put your feet up or ask you to come in and be hooked up to the monitor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I get that a lot. My doctor said it could be the baby putting pressure on my cervix.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Options

Could be. My first contractions last time felt like period-like cramping. I had a baby 8 hours later.

I'd hydrate as PPs suggested and call the doc to ask what they'd like to do, although since you aren't full term hopefully they'll go away with some water and rest.

#3 Due April 2016
  • Options

I've had a few of those...nothing in any sort of pattern. Just one here and then about 8 hours later another one. I mentioned it to my doctor and she said 'ok good' and that was it. Lol

However, if they were frequent and I could time them at all, I would be calling the doctor...

Anniversary
  • Options
    try drinking a lot of water, if it doesn't go away I would call your OB
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"