Breastfeeding
Options

Depression/anxiety meds while breastfeeding

I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to talk about getting on some type of depression/anxiety medication. I was on meds before I got pregnant with my first child and thankfully my pregnancy hormones evened some things out so I felt great my entire pregnancy! I am now 3 months pp and feeling depressed and anxious again.

So I am curious if anyone has taken anything while breastfeeding and if so,what kind? It makes me nervous to think of the meds going to the baby, but I don't feel like I am doing my job as a mom as good as I could with medicine. I know my dr will be able to help but I would just like to hear from someone who may have dealt with this too!

Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Depression/anxiety meds while breastfeeding

• Options
    My doc just put me on Zoloft, and assured me that it's fine for BFing.  I can't say much more as I just started it yesterday but I will mention that I wouldn't be taking it if I weren't comfortable that it is safe for my LO and necessary to get me on an even keel.  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Same as other posters, Zoloft seems to be the go-to for PPD while breastfeeding.  I started at 3 mo pp and it was the best thing I could have done!  I delayed going to my doctor because I didn't think there would be anything I could take and still EBF, and it was so important to me to do so.  But every day was a struggle, I was exhausted, anxious, and just completely overwhelmed.  I felt like some days I could only manage to take care of LOs basic needs and could hardly interact with him.  Now I feel like I've done a complete 180, which is awesome.  LO is awesome, I feel like I can handle everything that I need to on a day-to-day basis.  The benefits of being there for your LO far outweigh the potential risks; good luck!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Firstly, I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I think it's a very good idea to talk to your Dr about how to manage your depression and anxiety.

Zoloft seems to be the first med to try; unfortunately it doesn't work for me, so my psychiatrist and I chose to go off the SNRI I was taking and go on an older tricyclic antidepressant (nortriptyline). I took it throughout my two successful pregnancies, and I nursed DD for 13 months and DS for almost 4 months and counting.

If you happen to live in the northeast, Mass General Hospital has a reproductive psychiatry group that is excellent. I went to them for a second opinion and it gave me some peace of mind about my decision. You can also find some write-ups of recent research on their website https://www.womensmentalhealth.org/

I know it's a very hard decision to go on any sort of medication while pregnant or breastfeeding, but your LO needs a happy healthy mommy. Hang in there and I hope you find a good solution for you and your LO.

ETA: Meant to add, I've noticed no ill effects on either LO from being on the medication - and I'm definitely much more able to care for them than I would be otherwise.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"