January 2012 Moms
Options

Santa and Christmas Traditions

I'm sure we all have different ideas and traditions surrounding Christmas.  I'm pretty sure we discussed this when we were pregnant last year, but I thought it might be fun to share how/if we plan to introduce LO to Santa.  What kind of traditions did you have growing up?  What do you plan to do with LO?  I know a lot of it this year is more for us, but it's never too early to start traditions, right?

We'll likely tell DS the myths and stories about Santa.  We want to emphasize that the idea of Santa is about giving and charity moreso than just getting gifts.  DH suggested we let DS decide for himself if he believes Santa is real, and I like that idea.  When he's older, we'll tell DS that Santa embodies the spirit of giving and that we give to each other to keep that energy alive.  I like that approach better than completely taking the magic away from Santa when he's old enough to realize he's not an actual living person.  I'm thinking about maybe next year doing something charitable as a family and making it a yearly tradition to emphasize the spirit of giving.

Another tradition we may repeat is Christmas in Bed.  Last year, I was feeling queazy Christmas morning, so DH brought my presents to bed for me to open.  It'd be sweet if we did that again for maybe one or two presents, especially if we made it a yearly tradition with DS.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
Lilypie Maternity tickers
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

Re: Santa and Christmas Traditions

• Options

I really like your Idea about Santa approach!

I grew up in a different country with my dad being an atheist, my mom a Catholic and so us kids were in between LOL We knew about Santa but it wasn't a big deal. We also didn't give presents on Christmas eve or day but on new years eve. Again, this had a lot to do with the country I was born in. But as a kid I just didn't believe in Santa, the tooth fairy, Easter bunny or anything like that. Not because I was told they weren't real but because you simply couldn't fool me ;P

DH on the other hand had a compeltely different experience. He loved Santa and his family was putting food and sleigh tracks on the roof and everything. So DH wants to get all Sata-y for DD too.... I like the idea of a kid's excitement on Christmas morning and the gifts and all that but I really do want it all to be more about giving than getting what you put on the list....

So DH and will just have to talk about this in more detail. This year is obviously too early but for next year I would like to have that figured out. I'd love a tradition but something in between would be nice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I hate christmas so i have no intention of doing santa or many other christmas traditions. I compromised with my family that they can get DS presents if they really want but i don't want them being from santa.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My traditions have less to do with Santa than the actual family experience.  MH's family used to go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve (or was it Christmas?).  Although his family is no longer Catholic, they still like to do Christmas service on Christmas Eve.  This is a time we get together, go to church, go home and eat dinner, and exchange any gifts amongst ourselves.

This fits well with what I want to do. Not necessarily a tradition, but we used to drive 8 hours to spend Christmas with my crotchety paternal grandparents.  I hated being there for Christmas and needing to behave oneself when all you wanted to do was play and be silly and loud and childlike--and I refuse to subject my children to similar torture.  As a result, I reserve Christmas morning for family time.

I suppose with Santa, we will have the stockings be from Santa and gifts under the tree be from everyone else.  I loved that my mom used to wrap some of our smaller Christmas gifts in our stocking and would love to do the same for my children.  I like the idea of, once children find out the truth about Santa, that they be told that the belief is a gift we give to others.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagephillyfan929:
    I hate christmas so i have no intention of doing santa or many other christmas traditions. I compromised with my family that they can get DS presents if they really want but i don't want them being from santa.

DH is almost the same way.  He's letting me tell DS about Santa, but he doesn't believe in going overboard on much of anything.  He believes it's more important to show people you love them throughout the year and that's it's more efficient to buy things you need and want when you have the money to get it.  He didn't grow up with Christmas being a joyous time though, so I have to remind him to not let bad memories get in the way of DS making good ones about Christmas.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    There is no Santa?!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I love Christmas. It brings to mind everything warm, and cozy, and happy.

On Christmas eve we drove around looking at the lights;  and we were always allowed to open one gift, Chritmas pjs which we wore to bed. I believed in Santa and sincerely loved him as a child. We also left out cookies and milk for Santa, and carrots and water for his reindeer. 

Christmas morning was spent opening gifts, eating cinnabuns, and playing with toys. Family came over later in the day and we had a big meal together. 

We're going to do the same with our family. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageraefre:

As a result, I reserve Christmas morning for family time.

I do this, too. I have told all of my family and DH family (the ones that live in the country) that Christmas day is just for us.

As far as Santa goes, we're going all out, the whole nine yards. I know people don't like to lie to their children now adays, but I remember the wonder and excitment I felt as a kid during this time of year and I want my kids to hold on to that as long as possible. DS is 3y/o and this is the first time I've really tried to explaine everything to him, mainly by reading Christmas books. I don't get sucked in to the whole commercial thing though. We do give gifts, but we focus more on being together as a family. Which, of course, is the most important thing!  

• Options
    imageLibraryChica:

imageSmittyPants:
    and we were always allowed to open one gift, Chritmas pjs which we wore to bed.

We also did Christmas PJs and plan to continue that. DH was like "Christmas, what? What's wrong with regular PJs." And that is why this year he will also be getting Christmas PJs. There may be penguins involved.

Lol, love it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Since our baby's birthday is just a few days after Christmas, I thought for Christmas he would get 4 gifts: a book, something fun, something he needs, and a new outfit.  I know the rest of the family will spoil him but I want Christmas to be meaningful and not over commercialized with just our family.  Growing up my Mom was involved with a children's shelter and I remember even at an elementary age helping wrap the gifts for the children and I would like my son to volunteer for something like this at Christmas time.  I would also like him to be involved in choosing a child from the Angel trees or at church to help pick out a gift for them to understand charity.
  • Options
    I want to join in about our Chanukah traditions! We do the 1 present every night route. Something I always loved. We 6 small gifts, 1 big gift and the 1 bog family gift. So then we get 8 nights of fun! I love Chanukah and I really hope my kids do too! 
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Options
    We're going all out for Christmas and Santa for ds. I loved Christmas when I was little and remember being so excited that Santa ate the cookies and the reindeer ate the carrots I left out for them. My brother is 12 yrs older than I am and would make boot prints and hoof prints in the carpet, I was so amazed lol. I want ds to have that same magic. I also plan to emphasis giving so I'll include him when he's older in the toy drives and other charities we participate in every year.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"