Babies on the Brain

Motivation

How do you stay motivated to workout and eat right? I'm having serious issues with this.
 TTC#1 Since April 2011 
BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
BFP #2 10.1.13
EDD June 10, 2014
imageimageimage

Re: Motivation

• I'm totally thinner in my head than I am in real life.  The thing that keeps me pumped to get healthy is having to give up all the things I love because of my weight.  Like horseback riding.  I am literally too fat to ride a horse (according to the trail rides and stuff around my house).  The thing that REALLY scared me is when I stopped ovulating.  For MONTHS I didn't get my period and I was happy because I thought I was pregnant.  Turns out that I was - quite literally - too fat to have a period.  I've lost some weight and my period has returned but I've decided that it's not enough.  I'm moving soon and will start Yoga but I also like taking walks and have limited myself to three cookies a day rather than one whole box of cookies within three days.
  • Haha it's hard...I go through spurts where I work out a lot and stick to the schedule for a few weeks.  Then, I miss/skip a day and end up skipping weeks before getting back on track.  But honestly, the biggest motivation for me is looking at "inspirational" pictures of models and celebrities.  I know they're probably air-brushed and that they all have personal trainers and dieticians, but it does kick my butt in gear.  And it helps when I'm in the middle of working out, and I need the push to keep going.  I just think of how I want to look and how hard I need to work to get there.

• Loading the player...
  • Find a workout you really like. I hate running, so Im not motivated to do it, but I love doing zumba workouts. Its a lot easier if I go to a class where someone will notice if I dont show up than working out at home.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sign up for a race, like a 5k or 10K (or a half marathon if you'd like to be really motivated lol). I will quit running without a training plan. I'm not so great at the eating right part. I'm still trying to lose weight I gained around halloween lol. So.much.candy.
    imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • imagebiomaj5:
    Sign up for a race, like a 5k or 10K or a half marathon if you'd like to be really motivated lol. I will quit running without a training plan. I'm not so great at the eating right part. I'm still trying to lose weight I gained around halloween lol. So.much.candy.

I really need to do that. I love running but getting my butt out of bed is so hard. My cousin told me about a 10k that she runs every year in May. I should sign up for that.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • imagericecakes1216:
    imagebiomaj5:
    Sign up for a race, like a 5k or 10K or a half marathon if you'd like to be really motivated lol. I will quit running without a training plan. I'm not so great at the eating right part. I'm still trying to lose weight I gained around halloween lol. So.much.candy.
    I really need to do that. I love running but getting my butt out of bed is so hard. My cousin told me about a 10k that she runs every year in May. I should sign up for that.

Look up hal higdon's 10K plan. I used his novice plan for the half marathon I ran in October, and I'm using the supreme novice plan for the April marathon. It helps me a lot to have an excel spreadsheet printed out, and I highlight the days after I'm done with them (and I write my time and whether it was a treadmill run or outside). I have to do my 3 mid-week runs on the treadmill at the gym at work, and I watch Hulu or Netflix while I run. I can't really run well on a treadmill if I'm not distracted. When I run outside at either the lake or one of the trails, I usually listen to a harry potter audiobook. I also use the mapmyrun app for my outside runs. The Zombies, Run! app is fun too (it's a gps-based game where you complete missions and run from zombie hordes). I also have a running blog.

If you haven't already, I really suggest going to a local running store (not something like academy), and get fitted for running shoes. They'll cost you at least $100, but that's better than getting injured because you're wearing the wrong type of shoes.

imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • Youll want to keep track of your mileage on your shoes also.  They recommend to us that we replace our shoes every 300 miles.  You can def feel the difference when you switch from old shoes to new ones. You will feel it all in your legs and back. 
  • imagebiomaj5:

imagericecakes1216:
    imagebiomaj5:

Look up hal higdon's 10K plan. I used his novice plan for the half marathon I ran in October, and I'm using the supreme novice plan for the April marathon. It helps me a lot to have an excel spreadsheet printed out, and I highlight the days after I'm done with them (and I write my time and whether it was a treadmill run or outside). I have to do my 3 mid-week runs on the treadmill at the gym at work, and I watch Hulu or Netflix while I run. I can't really run well on a treadmill if I'm not distracted. When I run outside at either the lake or one of the trails, I usually listen to a harry potter audiobook. I also use the mapmyrun app for my outside runs. The Zombies, Run! app is fun too (it's a gps-based game where you complete missions and run from zombie hordes). I also have a running blog.

If you haven't already, I really suggest going to a local running store (not something like academy), and get fitted for running shoes. They'll cost you at least $100, but that's better than getting injured because you're wearing the wrong type of shoes.

I'll have to look that up! Thanks for the advice! I need to get fitted for shoes bad! I'll have to find a store.
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • imagecowgirltu:
    Youll want to keep track of your mileage on your shoes also.nbsp; They recommend to us that we replace our shoes every 300 miles.nbsp; You can def feel the difference when you switch from old shoes to new ones. You will feel it all in your legs and back.nbsp;

Good to know! Thanks!
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • Well, after having DD I lost 70 pounds. What helped me is telling everyone my goals amd finding an exercise i could enjoy. i started with running and signing up for 5 and 8ks to keep me motivated. i did weight watchers and then calorie counting and clean eating. I have to change things up so i dont plateau. also, my DH promised me a vacation when i reached my goals which we are going on in january:
  • I know I'll get a ton of grief for this but, overall, our goals as women should be to be HEALTHY and FIT, not skinny. (Not saying any PP are implying this.)

I'm a size 2/4 and struggled with compulsive overeating disorder for years. My highest weight was 152lbs and I wore a size 6-should have worn an 8. Aside from mental illness or an actual health concern that prevents you from losing weight, there is no excuse for NOT taking control of our health. If that means we gain 50 lbs while preg., fine, as long as we are actively trying to return to a healthy weight and healthy(ish) lifestyle. What boils my blood are the women with no personal accountability!!! If you have weight to lose, lose it! You will be a better woman, mother, spouse, employee, what-have-you! We need to daily work on it, not drop 20lbs in a month or hate our bodies b/c our shape is different or we can't lose the last 10lbs.

It simply makes me so sad to see women beat themselves up over not looking like Heidi Klum or being a perfectly toned size 2. We are all beautiful. We are all works in progress. We are worth the effort of a daily walk or exercise class. We are all worth healthy eating a majority of the time. We owe it to ourselves and our children to be happy and healthy!

Sorry for the rant. I just feel passionately about empowering women to love themselves and to find time to honor themselves with healthy eating, being active and chasing all their goals...big or small!

• I always tell myself, 'You either want it, or you don't. There is no maybe."

This applies to all areas of our lives.

• imagebabydoll22308:
    Well, after having DD I lost 70 pounds. What helped me is telling everyone my goals amd finding an exercise i could enjoy. i started with running and signing up for 5 and 8ks to keep me motivated. i did weight watchers and then calorie counting and clean eating. I have to change things up so i dont plateau. also, my DH promised me a vacation when i reached my goals which we are going on in january:

Wow! Congrats! I've seriously considered doing Weight Watchers. Is it worth it? Would you do it again?
     TTC#1 Since April 2011 
    BFP#1 5.23.12 C/P 4w4d 
    BFP #2 10.1.13
    EDD June 10, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • imagericecakes1216:
    imagebabydoll22308:
    Well, after having DD I lost 70 pounds. What helped me is telling everyone my goals amd finding an exercise i could enjoy. i started with running and signing up for 5 and 8ks to keep me motivated. i did weight watchers and then calorie counting and clean eating. I have to change things up so i dont plateau. also, my DH promised me a vacation when i reached my goals which we are going on in january:

Wow! Congrats! I've seriously considered doing Weight Watchers. Is it worth it? Would you do it again?

I would do it again! i did it online and had everything on my phone so had all the info i needed on me at all times. i lost the first 50 pounds on weight watchers. i hit a plateau for 6 months so i decided to switch it up. but generay when you lose a significant amount the last few pounds are really hard to get off, so i had to be more strict. i am rambling but yes i would do it again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"