Natural Birth
Options

Clock ticking....

My due date was Saturday and it came and went.  I live in Florida and they have a lot of laws that make it difficult to give birth outside of a hospital (we are going to a birth center).  The two biggest ones I'm facing right now are the timeline and the weight.  In Florida, if you gain more than 50 pounds, you're not legally allowed to birth outside of a hospital.  I've gained about 49.  Also, if you go two weeks late, the state law says your midwife/ob has to send you to a hospital for medical induction. Our midwives have to do it, or else they can lose their license.  My husband and I have been hoping so much for a natural, out of hospital birth.  I'm worried that because of these two laws, I'll have to end up in the hospital, which is not what I wanted.  I know it's not the end of the world, and I'm trying to keep perspective.  But most of the weight I've gained is water weight (super swollen all over) so I don't feel like that law makes much sense to me, and I know that babies come late, so whatever! 

It is true that I am pretty miserable and feel so blah - I'm so ready to have this baby!  But I think at the same time that I'll go into labor when I'm ready, so I'll let nature take its course.  

I think in the end, I feel like there is a clock ticking against me, and if I keep this baby in much longer I'll either gain too much weight or I'll go too long and end up in the hospital getting pit and other things I don't want involved.  That, and everyone keeps saying, "Gosh, girl, haven't you had that baby yet?"

I get that people are trying to watch out for complications and be nice by saying encouraging things, but seriously... it gets tiring.  

Not really a point to this post I guess, just needed to vent a little!  (Anyone else feel pressured to deliver?!)

Re: Clock ticking....

• Options
    No real advice for you.... I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to feel like a ticking time bomb and I hope everything works out for you. Hang in there mama!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageoliversmommy32912:
    No real advice for you.... I just wanted to say I'm sorry you have to feel like a ticking time bomb and I hope everything works out for you. Hang in there mama!

Ditto.

Also, those laws are rather disappointing :/  

Keep in mind the average FTM will go into labor at 41 weeks, 1 day and that something like 98% of women will go into labor by 42 weeks, so the stats are definitely on your side that you'll be fine in that regard.  No help on the weight thing though, that sucks, especially when most women start retaining some water towards the end anyway.  I guess drink lots of water to try to flush things out! 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

As hard as it is, try to relax!!  Stress won't help bring on labor ;)  It's very likely you will go on your own in the next week or so.  As for the weight, pound the fluids and lay off the salt; also swimming might help.  That is a very odd law!

And if you do end up at the hospital...I had a great med-free hospital birth with Callum so it's totally possible.  Also if you go 42+ and do have to be induced the likelihood is that you will "induce easy" - much more so than if you were to be induced at 39 or even 40 weeks.  You can also do things like have your membranes stripped and try chiro/massage/accupuncture if things don't get rolling in the next week. 

• Options

I'm sorry you're under such pressure. That 50lb rule doesn't make sense, my sister in law was 100lbs when she conceived and her Dr wants her to gain 50lbs. Relaxing actually may help. Take a warm bath and drink a glass of wine. 

When hubby gets home, jump him! Try having sex, semen helps thin the cervix. Even if you don't dilate it could make it so you wouldn't need cevix ripening drugs, which are not all FDA approved to use on pregnant women but they use them anyway. Also, eat big meals, preferably spicye. Stand, sway and take walks. Climb stairs if you can, or even just crawl on the floor. Schedule a massage or go to an acupucture appt. I know of several women who did acupuncture and 6 hours later they were off and running in labor.

If they do want to induce you, request a folly bulb. This is a little rubber thing they put in an opening of your cervix if you are at 1cm to slowly pulse you open to 4cms. Once at 4cms the body will ususally kick into high gear and you've started to progress without pitocin or any other drugs.

Your midwife could also strip your membranes. It sounds icky, but it works for many.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

What stupid laws.  I just wanted you to know a few things.  Your caregivers are bound by these laws, but you as a patient are not.  

You have every right to refuse induction.  It may be the policy to induce at 42 weeks but it doesn't mean you as a patient have to consent.   You won't be able to deliver at the birth center and your midwife could get in trouble for attending a home birth of a 42+ week pregnant woman, HOWEVER, if you show up to L&D at 42 weeks 2 days (just an example) in active labor, guess what? They are going to have to admit you and deliver your baby.  

Just something to think about if you really wish to avoid induction. Either way, if you get induced you are going to be delivering at the hospital, right?

• Options
    Another thing, I'm sure if you discussed the weight gain concern to your midwife and your desire to have your baby in the birth center, she would probably fluff your weight gain record a bit.   
  • Options
    imagesbevmc09:

imageoliversmommy32912:

Ditto.

Also, those laws are rather disappointing :/  

Keep in mind the average FTM will go into labor at 41 weeks, 1 day and that something like 98% of women will go into labor by 42 weeks, so the stats are definitely on your side that you'll be fine in that regard.  No help on the weight thing though, that sucks, especially when most women start retaining some water towards the end anyway.  I guess drink lots of water to try to flush things out! 

Its actually 8% of babies that go past 42 weeks.  When I was overdue and pregnant it made me really depressed to think that I was in the 2%, I wish I had of known that I wasn't.  
  • Options
    Your midwife can also recalculate your due date based on your estimated date of ovulation rather than your LMP. My LMP makes my due date 3/31/13 but my cycle is 32 days and that made my EDD 4/5/13. If you were tracking your cycles and they are longer than "normal" then you may have more time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    That law about weight is fucked up! Sorry you're going through all this, hopefully that baby comes right. now.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"