Multiples

Worried About Supply

I'm breastfeeding my twins exclusively from the breast and have been for the past nine days. Up until now it's been fine, but today one of the boys was still hungry after feeding for half an hour. I kept putting him back on the right breast and he'd suckle, but I didn't hear him swallow much. Thinking maybe the right breast was dry, I moved him to the left where he fed for ten more minutes and then passed out.

How will I know if my supply isn't enough? At what point did this happen to you if it did? For those of you breastfeeding twins, did you have to pump to keep supply up?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lost our first little peanut on 1/17/2012 at 9 weeks and 5 days. We miss you little blessing, but we know you were too perfect for this world.
My multiples/parenting/pregnancy/miscarriage blog

Re: Worried About Supply

• If the babies have less wet diapers, you know they are not getting as much milk, but you can see a lactation consultant and get an accurate weight before and after a feeding. Your body will try to produce more if baby is suckling past the point of emptying the breast, but this doesn't happen instantly. An LC will tell you how to up your supply. You can try upping your water intake, eat oatmeal everyday, and add in fenugreek. There are many other things to try, but many moms find that to help the most. I had supply issues with my first, and went through the list all the way to domperidone and reglan (w/ pumping 12X day).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • For the first 6-8 weeks or so, your body is constantly adjusting to your babies' changing/increasing needs, and they are trying to tell your body what they need by continuing to suckle even when no more milk comes out.

The best thing you can do for your supply right now is to just keep puttin them back on whenever they seem to demand it. It's tiring and gruesome, but it is perfectly normal. Also, if you are concerned about them getting enough, keep track of diapers, contact an LC, see if your pedi will let you come in for a few extra weight checks.

Hang in there, it will get easier!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • You got great advice, just wanted to add that you will hit a growth spurt soon (3 weeks ish) where they may want to nurse a lot more, and yu will wonder if they are getting enough. This is totally normal and the best thing to do is just keep nursing them, it's how your body adapts to make more.No need to pump, your body is designed to produce what your babies demand as long as you are nursing on demand (vs on a schedule where you only feed them every x hours).Hang in there, the early days can be tough but it's so worth it in the long run!! And pat yourself on the back, you are doing a great job.
  • imagesrbmvp:

For the first 6-8 weeks or so, your body is constantly adjusting to your babies' changing/increasing needs, and they are trying to tell your body what they need by continuing to suckle even when no more milk comes out.

The best thing you can do for your supply right now is to just keep puttin them back on whenever they seem to demand it. It's tiring and gruesome, but it is perfectly normal. Also, if you are concerned about them getting enough, keep track of diapers, contact an LC, see if your pedi will let you come in for a few extra weight checks.

Hang in there, it will get easier!

100% agree.  The extra nursing is helping your body know to make more milk.  Your babies are doing exactly what they are supposed to do.  As long as the diaper counts are good, they're getting enough.  Hang in there - I promise it gets easier!

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"