Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Nipple flow

DS is 3 months and bottle fed. Have been using Playtex Nursers with the slow vent nipples that came with. He eats 5-6 oz. per feeding. Sometimes he drinks it in 10 minutes, other times 30 minutes. Its not an issue for me at home but his daycare provider mentioned it because obviously isn't conveinent for her to spend 30 minutes feeding him with other LO's to tend to. Any pros or cons to nipple flow? If it matters, DS has horrible gas and is on a soy based formula.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

Re: Nipple flow

• You can always try to go on fast.

We have the same bottles, and use slow. We just tried fast for the last few days. Every time, she screams and seems like she's drowning so we've always switched back to the slow.

So, for now, it's 30 minutes of a peaceful slow nipple, instead of a 10 minutes of screaming on a fast nipple

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • playtex has a medium flow. You could try that.

We switched DS from slow to medium when he turned 3 months. No problems for us. I think the fast flow is marked for 6+ months though.

You could always try and see how LO responds. 

• Loading the player...
  • imageperiwinkleblue:

playtex has a medium flow. You could try that.

We switched DS from slow to medium when he turned 3 months. No problems for us. I think the fast flow is marked for 6+ months though.

You could always try and see how LO responds. 

Medium flow is 0-6 months and it's a tri-cut, meaning they have to suck to get anything, instead of it just flowing fast or slow. My kids HATED it.

Fast ish 3-6 months but my previous two didnt go to fast till 6+ months. But it is marked for 3-6.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Our son was getting kind of fussy during feeding time...so I had asked our doc about the slow flow nipples/medium flow nipples and that maybe that was the problem since we didn't think he was teething yet. 

He said that in his opinion, the different flow rates of nipples is more of a marketing scam because it's not like our nipples get larger holes for the milk to come out of faster ;-) lol

BUT, he said if you try it, be sure to very carefully monitor baby because the higher flow rate is more dangerous and baby could choke. He said that with his kids they always preferred that feedings take longer and be safer, and sometimes even the longer feeding time, baby feels full whereas if it takes 10min to eat then he doesn't realize he's full yet. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"