Working Moms

insurance question

I am normally a Lurker but am looking for HR advice. My son was born in July I reported his birth but I got overwhelmed as a first time mom I guess and completely forgot to send a copy of birth certificate. I got a letter reminding me to send it in. I tried unsuccessfully to fax it but the line was consistently busy and I ended up mailing it to our HR office 1 week before the deadline. I was just told it was not received until 2 days after the deadline and his health care would be canceled. I am appealing the decision but if I lose do you think he could get insurance through my husband's job? I am not sure under what circumstances I can add coverage.

Re: insurance question

• The post mark on the envelope you mailed should mean it counts as that date, and before the deadline. If they've thrown away the envelope, that's their problem. Call someone, calmly explain the situation and see if they can help you.
  • Agree with PP- they should count it because you mailed it before the deadline. I'd keep calling and talking (yelling at) people until someone agreed with me. But to answer your question, since LO isn't a new baby, I think you'd probably have to wait until open enrollment to add him to your DH's plan.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I am appealing the decision but am unsure how long the process will take. I already sent them confirmation of my fax attempts. I don't have a lot of confidence in HR. I submitted my maternity leave paterwork in the beginning of June and told there was 10 day processing time and I didn't get my approval letter until Aug 1st despite baby being born.
  • I think they should count it, but if they don't, I don't think you can add him to DH's.  I'd imagine that the timeframe that you had for that is gone.  I don't think "he didn't get added to my insurance in time" is a qualifying event that would allow him to get added to DH's.  

But I think you should have good luck on the appeal. 

• I would definitely appeal that. I'm surprised you have to send a birth certificate. We've never had to do that with any of our 3 boys. We just had to contact HR within 30 days of birth with his bday. 

And you will not be able to add him to your dh's since he's over 30 days old unless it's your dh's open enrollment time. When does your dh have open enrollment?  

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageDaisy22:

I would definitely appeal that. I'm surprised you have to send a birth certificate. We've never had to do that with any of our 3 boys. We just had to contact HR within 30 days of birth with his bday. 

And you will not be able to add him to your dh's since he's over 30 days old unless it's your dh's open enrollment time. When does your dh have open enrollment?  

I did not have to with my daughter but did with my son I was told it was because of the new Obama care laws.  My state does not even send you the info to get the birth certificate until around 8 weeks after birth so I had to call the hospital and that was a real pain.  I was worried they would not get the needed letter to me in time and was told by my HR department that if i missed the deadline they would re-add him as soon as they received it.  I was so mad I called local HR who took care of it for me and it all worked out  What ticked me off is it was my insurance and I was out on baby leave so how can they say I did not have him.  I had hospital records they would not take because he was listed baby boy last name.  I would appeal and if you have local HR call them.  My company has local and then this stuff is outsourced.  I ended up getting a VP involved.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would have your husband look into it starting now just incase it takes time.  I know with my job it is open enrollement or life event, which includeds if a spouse losses coverage due to job lose they may be able to do something so he can add him without it being open enrollment given the situation.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"