Military Families

Williamsburg, VA anyone?

Hello.  We're being stationed at the naval shipyard in Newport News in April as they'll be building the new sub. We've been researching the area and talking to others who've been there.  Have any of you ever lived in the Williamsburg area?

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Williamsburg, VA anyone?

• my husband is on that sub. just remember when the sub moves to norfolk they wont pay for you to move. you can pm me if you have any questions about anything my husband was the first one to man up and has been attached to the sub for a couple of months

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• imageufsandra85:
    my husband is on that sub. just remember when the sub moves to norfolk they wont pay for you to move. you can pm me if you have any questions about anything my husband was the first one to man up and has been attached to the sub for a couple of months

Thanks!  I must be bump retarded because I can not find out how to pm you??  His sub isn't even built yet.  Apparently it won't be completed until 2015 so he'll be at the shipyard our entire 2 or 3 years there....things can always change as you know, but that's what we're being told.  I wonder if it's the same sub?  Are you in Newport News then?  We're trying to stay clear of the Norfolk area. 

• Loading the player...
  • everyone who agrees to the sub must be there 14 months past sea trails. there is only one pcu sub there

Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• we live in the western branch/upper suffolk/churchland area and it is a 15 min drive to the ship yard. there is no traffic

image"">

• pms are on the bottom left

image"">

• ok i totally cant figure out how to send on originally. i have only ever replied to one!! TB is so confusing and I have been here for years lol

image"">

• imageufsandra85:
    ok i totally cant figure out how to send on originally. i have only ever replied to one!! TB is so confusing and I have been here for years lol

lol I can't figure it out yet either.  I appreciate the info.  Hubby did just say he'll probably have to commute to Norfolk the last year we're there.  If you're saying an additional 14 months, maybe the last 2 yrs then.  We were looking at the area you're in as well.  How do you like it?  Do you have children? We have a one year old and plan to become pregnant again while there if it's meant to be. I'm looking forward to some sun and a break from this WA gloom and rain.  We've been here 7 yrs.

• its just 14 months past sea trials so probably not that long but they dont let everyone go at the same time. we love it over here. no traffic, nice people etc. we do not have any kids. we are so glad we live here especially for where we both work. also the 664 tunnel never has traffic. this area or carrollton are popular areas to live if you work at the ship yard

image"">

• I've never lived in Williamsburg, but it's my dream to retire there someday.  We vacation there regularly and I just adore the town.  Best of luck to you!
  • We also live in the North Suffolk/Churchland (Portsmouth)/Western Branch (Chesapeake) area and really like it.  I can't help you on what the drive to the shipyard is like since my husband works with the Joint Staff here in Suffolk but we also really like Williamsburg. DH went to school there so he's partial to it for that reason but it is a cute little tourist town. I'm not sure what the drive is like from the burg to NN Shipyards though. Personally, I would look hard at whatever would have the easiest commute since traffic around here is ridiculous. Just because he wouldn't go through a tunnel to get to NN doesn't mean traffic is easy. I-64 gets really backed up between NN and Williamsburg. 
  • Aww my dad worked in that ship yard before I was born and my mom grew up in Newport News.  I really like the area.  It's beautiful and there are lots of nice historic houses that I love to look at. You have Busch Gardens and outlet malls nearby too.  I wish I lived there!  We just moved from Chesapeake, VA to NC and I hate it here.  Would give anything to be back there! :)  Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks so much ladies!  We'll continue to look at the Chesapeake/Sufolk area too.
  • imageufsandra85:
    its just 14 months past sea trials so probably not that long but they dont let everyone go at the same time. we love it over here. no traffic, nice people etc. we do not have any kids. we are so glad we live here especially for where we both work. also the 664 tunnel never has traffic. this area or carrollton are popular areas to live if you work at the ship yard

I appreciate you sharing thanks. :)  I just read your pregnancy history. It made me tear up. I wish you the best and hope you are blessed with a little one.  I still can't pm but I'd love to connect before we arrive.  If you have facebook and are comfortable finding me, I'm under Melissa K. Bruce.   

• Oh God, Chesapeake and Suffolk.  I will never understand why everyone in the Navy in Hampton Roads wants to live in these cities.  Suffolk schools are really bad, so keep that in mind.  Housing is cheaper in Suffolk and Chesapeake, so I guess that's the selling point.

We finished 3 years of shore duty at Cheatham Annex in W'burg in May.  I'm a Va Beach native and we moved back for this sea tour.  DH's ship is in the NN shipyard for just a bit longer and then they'll be back in Norfolk.  The commute is not fun, but I did it for 5 years with my old job so it wasn't a shock to me.

Do not live in Newport News.  Do not live in Hampton.  I hear York County is ok, but I am personally not a fan of the peninsula. 

Williamsburg is nice, but the lack of enclosed mall in the winter got to me.  Great neighborhoods, good schools, and there are lots of things to do with small children if you know where to look.  If you end up there I can recommend an amazing music program and gymnastics playgroup.  Library story times and the Barnes & Noble story time are also wonderful and I have been disappointed by the offerings in Va Beach.

• Why are you trying to steer clear of Norfolk?  Norfolk is awesome and has some wonderful, family friendly neighborhoods.  We have lived in Norfolk for a total of 7 years of DH's career and I LOVE it here.  We PCS next week and I have been boo-hooing all day.  You just need to be careful about picking your neighborhood carefully, but you can't beat the shopping, restaurants, and charm of Norfolk.  I just love it.  We live in Larchmont (a neighborhood in Norfolk), but there are several others that are really great.

As for Williamsburg, I went to graduate school at William & Mary so I am familiar with it.  W'Burg is a charming place with some great things going for it.  The cost of living is very slightly lower than Hampton Roads.  There are some very cute neighborhoods and apartments.  The shopping is decent and there are good outlets.  James City County has good schools which is a perk if you have kids. 

The cons:  It is super touristy and that corridor can be tough when it comes to traffic.  The commute to Newport News wouldnt' be too bad (and honestly, I wouldn't blame you for living in W'Burg if you were 100% confident your DH's tour was going to stay in the shipyards).  However, if you do have even the slightest worry about his job moving to Norfolk I think W'Burg would be tough.  I commuted from our home in Norfolk to Williamsburg almost daily for graduate school and it was ROUGH.  I had no kids and DH was deployed a good portion of my time at school, so I didn't really care about the time I spent on I 64.  But now with a few kids I would not want that kind of commute daily.

Overall - W'Burg is really cute and nice.  But please don't "steer clear" of Norfolk because you think it is a bad city.  Norfolk truly is a great town.  You just need to educate yourself. (just like you would with VA Beach, Chesapeake, or any other HR town).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imageflip_flops:

Oh God, Chesapeake and Suffolk.  I will never understand why everyone in the Navy in Hampton Roads wants to live in these cities.  Suffolk schools are really bad, so keep that in mind.  Housing is cheaper in Suffolk and Chesapeake, so I guess that's the selling point.

A-freaking-men.  It boggles the mind.  I swear someone put that bad advice out to free up all the good homes in Norfolk and VA Beach and never explored the area to confirm how wrong it is. 

Married 6/28/03

*~*~*~*~*

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagesweetpea2003:
    imageflip_flops:

Oh God, Chesapeake and Suffolk.  I will never understand why everyone in the Navy in Hampton Roads wants to live in these cities.  Suffolk schools are really bad, so keep that in mind.  Housing is cheaper in Suffolk and Chesapeake, so I guess that's the selling point.

A-freaking-men.  It boggles the mind.  I swear someone put that bad advice out to free up all the good homes in Norfolk and VA Beach and never explored the area to confirm how wrong it is. 

I was going to add a bit about Norfolk to my reply, but figured you'd probably see this and chime in.  

• We live in the Hickory/Great Bridge area of Chesapeake and love it where we live.  H's commute isn't too bad to Norfolk but when he goes to Newport News next year it will be longer.  We bought a house though and knew for sure H would be at those 2 bases, and we want to stay here for a while and his shore duties would most likely be Oceana, so we chose this area.  

I agree that everyone is encouraged to look at Chesapeake and Suffolk.  Every city around here has some nice areas and some not so nice areas.  Do not rent/buy anything without seeing it in person first.  Also, drive around at night as well as during the day, and check out the stores in your area.  I have friends in Hampton and Newport News, and while they live in nice neighborhoods, they are afraid to go to their grocery stores and such alone at night.  But I think anyone who has lived here for any time at all will tell you to look at places before you sign anything, since this block can be fabulous and you turn the corner and are in ghetto.  

As for Williamsburg, yeah its nice and historic and all that, but I would never even consider living there for Norfolk, and possibly not even NN.  With traffic and just the distance it would be horrid everyday.  

• Also you can send a PM to someone by clicking the "contact" button on the bottom right of their posts.
  • imageBeachy730:

As for Williamsburg, yeah its nice and historic and all that, but I would never even consider living there for Norfolk, and possibly not even NN.  With traffic and just the distance it would be horrid everyday.  

Newport News and Williamsburg are next to one another.  Your husband probably has a longer commute from Chesapeake to Norfolk than someone who lives in W'Burg and drives to NN.  Telling her to consider Chesapeake and not Williamsburg is not good advice.

Married 6/28/03

*~*~*~*~*

• imagesweetpea2003:
    imageBeachy730:

Newport News and Williamsburg are next to one another.  Your husband probably has a longer commute from Chesapeake to Norfolk than someone who lives in W'Burg and drives to NN.  Telling her to consider Chesapeake and not Williamsburg is not good advice.

Actually I never once recommended her to live in Chesapeake.  All I said was that I agree that those are the two places everyone always recommends.  I recommended she look at all areas because everywhere has good and bad.

Yorktown is between NN and Williamsburg, and where the shipyard is in Newport News is further than Hampton, and I would never consider that to be right next to Williamsburg.  The shipyard is practically right next to the MMBT and probably at least a 40 minute drive to Williamsburg.

• everyone is going to have their opinions on different areas the most important thing is that YOU like where you live and YOU are comfortable with your drive. When we found out where we were going to be stationed we drove at all hours of the day to and from where we will be working and decided the only drive we are comfortable with is where we live currently. Everybody has their own set of things that are important to them. honestly every city around here has its good side and a lot of time people with bad opinions dont always live there.

image"">

• We currently live in Williamsburg, we just moved here in July and we're here for 3 years or so. I love Williamsburg! Its beautiful! But it's kinda a sleepy town.
  • I believe it's about 30 minutes to the NN shipyards from Williamsburg, VA in general.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"