Infertility
Options

XP - MFI and Decision Making (long)

Hi ladies! I should probably introduce myself as I've posted here once before and I'm expecting I might be hopping on the IVF train sometime in the near future.  I have PCOS and we recently also got diagnosed with MFI.  I've been posting on TTTC, but thought I would post this here too.  Thanks so much for any input!  And GL to all those ladies going through an IVF cycle right now!

Here's my XP:

So we officially have an MFI diagnosis. We did SA#1, B2B IUIs and then SA#2 and just got results on that yesterday.  I pretty much knew for sure once we did the IUIs and got our post-wash counts that it was a done deal.  At first we were told everything was bad, but then I was hopeful about motility and morph, but now I'm not again.  Basically this is our history:

SA #1
Count - 6.5 mil
Motility - 25%
Morph - Abnormal per the results summary, but outdated ratings were used per my RE and she actually thought it might not be that bad (SA was done through our HMO medical group, the whole process was a mess)

IUI #1.1
Pre-Wash Count - 7 mil
Pre-Wash Motility - 71%
Post-Wash Motile Sperm - 2 mil

IUI #1.2
Pre-Wash Count - 8 mil
Pre-Wash Motility - 63%
Post-Wash Motile Sperm - 1.8 mil

SA #2 (done through RE's legit lab this time)
Count - 5 mil
Motility - 45%
Morph - 5%

DH had some additional blood work done yesterday ($300 blood work, awesome) and we are waiting to get those results.  Oh and his testosterone at the time of SA#1 was on the lowish side (340 I think?).  He is also getting a referral to a urologist, supposed to get a scrotal ultrasound, etc. 

So this might be a little premature as we have still have to check his stuff out, get results, see the uro, etc., but was just curious for those dealing with MFI out there how you decided to proceed with treatments?  Did you guys do everything in your power to figure out DH's issues and try to fix it?  Did you decide just to move on to IVF somewhat soon because it wasn't looking too hopeful?  Did your RE's/DH's uros give good chances of being able to improve his swimmers and then have luck with IUI? 

I'm asking because 1) I'm the most impatient person in the world, haha, and just want to move forward and be PG as soon as possible (I know, wrong mentality for IF!) and 2) we are 50% covered for diagnosis/treatment and 100% OOP for IUI and IVF.  I feel like spending tons of money and time on trying to work on DH's issues will end up adding up to what we will pay for IVF anyways. And if our chances are still going to be pretty slim with IUI, then why waste the time/money?

Also, the reason I also feel like his quality might not improve much is because DH already does a lot of the stuff people here recommend and all of the websites I Google recommend (and he's been doing this for ages).  He eats super healthy, he takes multi vitamins & Co-Q10, drinks tons of water, wears boxers, doesn't do hot tubs/saunas regularly, etc.  But I do know he might be able to be put on meds, etc.  And there might be other factors (i.e. varicocele, etc) that might be causing this.  So again, this is all pretty premature.  Just wondering what your experiences have been?  Thanks so much!  And sorry this is so long. 
TTC #1 since Sept 2011
Me: 33, DH: 35, DX: PCOS & MFI (low everything)
IUI #1-3 - Low Post-Wash Counts - All BFNs
IVF #1 w/ ICSI: Long Lupron Protocol - Freeze-All Cycle due to Severe OHSS
ER 4/27, 33 Eggs Retrieved, 13 Frosties
FET #1 6/5, Transferred One Perfect 4AA Blast, HPT BFP @ 6dp5dt
Beta #1 - 209, Beta #2 - 508, Beta #3 - 1,059
EDD 2/20/14
imageimage
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP - MFI and Decision Making (long)

• Options

We moved straight to IVF with ICSI due to MFI.  We have <1% chance of getting pregnant on our own or with IUI due to DH's sperm count <5 mil and that IUI would be a waste of our money (OOP for everything).

DH's horomonal levels were all normal, and the only thing they could find that might be affecting his sperm is that he's a CF carrier.  So the RE and urologist didn't think anything would increase his numbers. 

We had ER yesterday and the fertilization report today was that all 11 mature eggs were fertilized and are doing well.

Good luck deciding what to do and I hope you get pregnant soon.

imageimage

Me 33 DH 36 Together 10 years, Married 5 years

TTC #1 since 8/2007 with MFI
    November 2012 - IVF w/ ICSI #1; 11/28/12 - ER 12 eggs! 11 fertilized! 12/3/12 - ET - transferred 1 AA Blastocyst
    Charlotte Hannah -born 8/13/13.
  • Options
    Welcome! We have severe MFI and it sucks.  Good Luck to you!
     36 DH 33 TTC for over 3 years
    First mini-IVF Sept 2011... Only 1 egg! ... BFN
    Switching RE
    IVF#2 May 2012 9 eggs and only 2 sperm, WTH!
    BFN
    IVF #3 March 2013~Tesa with back-up Donor Sperm,Tesa, unsuccessful used DS~ Chemical :(   

Switching RE's within practice

2 frosties waiting for us, November 2013!!!!!   Transferred 2 "average" blasts 11/20/2013
    BFP!!!!!!!  Boy/Girl Twins!!!!!! Due 08/08/2014

My Blog

*~God gives his hardest battles to his toughest solders. Unknown.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am so sorry you are dealing with all of this. We have numbers similar to yours, and were told less than 3% to conceive on our own or IUI, so we had to go right to ivf with ICSI. They did put hubs on clomid eod 50mg, just to produce more good sperm for them to pick from for the icsi.

wishing you nothing but the best, and hope they get you a good plan of action! ((((hugs)))))

Married BF 6/29/2002/
    TTC Since Aug 2011/
    ME:34 all clear/DH:41 DX Severe MFI/
    IVF w/ICSI OCT 2012 Stims started 10/8/ER 10/19/12/ET 10/24/Beta#1 11/2=BFN (beta was 1.2)

IVF 2.0-Baseline 11/7/12 beta 0/All Clear
    Stim start 11/7/12//ER 11/19 11M//10F
    ET 2 embies 11/24//Beta#1 28 Beta #2 23 Beta#3 29
    stop meds Beta#4 37/C/P 5W5D EDD:8/12/13/IVF#3 in Jan

Ivf 3-frozen 3 poor 3day/fet=bfn

Ivf#4 New dr. New protocol=beta1 197 beta#2 677 beta#3 1557
     u/s 8/13 =TWINS 2 strong hb
    Due Date 4/4/14

My Chart//>

• Options

Welcome and MFI does stink!  

Our RE advised us to see a urologist that specialized in MFI before he would treat us, but pretty much indicated IVF w/ ICSI was our only shot and wouldn't even try IUI.  So, that delay treatment for a few months, but gave us time to get more comfortable with IVF as our only shot.  BUT, we do know that there's nothing structurally wrong and his hormones are outstanding, so there's really nothing we can to other than vitamins and supplements.

Hope this helps and good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We had my issues as well as MFI. After 3 failed IUIs, that's when we had a hysterosalpingogram which showed bilaterally obstructed tubes....so that was our IVF deal sealer.

I understand what you mean about the time and money toward "fixing" the issues with no guarantee....

With so many strikes against us, IVF just made the most sense instead if trying to fix things...
  • Options
    Thank you so, so much ladies.  Your advice is truly appreciated. Thanks for sharing your stories with me.  And for the warm welcome...looks like I might be hanging out around here for sure sometime soon.  Best of luck to all of you!
    TTC #1 since Sept 2011
    EDD 2/20/14
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imagecoastalchristina:

We moved straight to IVF with ICSI due to MFI.  We have <1% chance of getting pregnant on our own or with IUI due to DH's sperm count <5 mil and that IUI would be a waste of our money (OOP for everything).

DH's horomonal levels were all normal, and the only thing they could find that might be affecting his sperm is that he's a CF carrier.  So the RE and urologist didn't think anything would increase his numbers. 

We had ER yesterday and the fertilization report today was that all 11 mature eggs were fertilized and are doing well.

Good luck deciding what to do and I hope you get pregnant soon.

GL to you!!  And so great to hear you had a good outcome, very inspiring!  GL!!!

TTC #1 since Sept 2011
    EDD 2/20/14
    imageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"