December 2010 Moms

Help please! (sleep issues)

P has been sleeping with us.  She has a toddler bed now, and we are trying to transition her to it fully.  The problem is - she's scared.  She has nightmares/night terrors, wakes up screaming, etc.  She also says that she's scared, and shakes.  She used to be a great sleeper!  She sleeps fine if she's in bed with us too, with a few wake/scream sessions. 

The past several nights, we've been trying to have her sleep in her room.  It's going OKish, but kinda cruddy.  We put a baby gate in her doorway so that the door isn't closed.  (She screams bloody murder if it's closed, and it's heartbreaking.)  Well, dangit if she didn't climb over the gate.  Twice.  And fell on her head.  She didn't care, she just wanted out.  She didn't even make a big deal, just said "I have a owie right there."  One kiss & she was fine about the fall.

So, the million dollar question - How do I get her to not be scared?  I don't want to do CIO too much, because she IS scared.  DH & I talked about needing a plan, so help me? 

Goodies for everyone!

Re: Help please! (sleep issues)

• I really thought the sleep issues were resolved around 6 months! Who knew that we would be facing them again at 2? My LO won't stay in his room at all. I usually lay down with him until he falls asleep. It takes forever. He is sleeping about 11pm-6am right now. I don't know!?!? I am hoping he grows out of it...
    imageimage
  • I'm curious what others will chime in with because G is very uncomfortable playing outside in the dark when I get home from work.  She'll comment over and over again about how dark it is, and ask to go inside.  I haven't found a way to ease her discomfort, and I could see it snowball into being afraid of the dark in other places. 

Some off the cuff ideas:  Party with stuffed animals on her bed in the dark.  Use glow sticks.  Take her to the planetarium.  Then get one of those things that project stars on the ceiling for her room. 

Also, have you tried sleeping in her room with her?  You might be able to transition to less and less time in there with her.

• Loading the player...
  • What was the reasoning behind a transition to a toddler bed? Was she resisting the crib? Maybe she wasn't ready to come out of the crib?

I'm wondering myself, because A seems to want out of the crib, but in my heart I know he is not ready for a bed.  I just know him and I know he would be scared with that much openness...but I also know that I cannot allow him to hurt himself climbing out all the time.  So we are in very much the same boat.

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • I would setup her toddler bed in your room that way she gets used to sleeping in her own bed and you and your H are still close by. Hopefully as she gets better about sleeping in it then move it back or slowly back to her own room. I do like the ideas of glow sticks and flashlights and playing in the dark for fun too but this lets everyone sleep in their own beds and you aren't crammed into a toddler bed.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejillybean800:

What was the reasoning behind a transition to a toddler bed? Was she resisting the crib? Maybe she wasn't ready to come out of the crib?

I'm wondering myself, because A seems to want out of the crib, but in my heart I know he is not ready for a bed.  I just know him and I know he would be scared with that much openness...but I also know that I cannot allow him to hurt himself climbing out all the time.  So we are in very much the same boat.

The screaming mostly.  She did NOT want to be in the crib.  It was clear.  Sad
  • imageenjoylife:
    I would setup her toddler bed in your room that way she gets used to sleeping in her own bed and you and your H are still close by. Hopefully as she gets better about sleeping in it then move it back or slowly back to her own room. I do like the ideas of glow sticks and flashlights and playing in the dark for fun too but this lets everyone sleep in their own beds and you aren't crammed into a toddler bed.
    This might be worth a shot.  She actually has a trundle bed, so I could put the second mattress on the floor in our room.  Luckily, she's in a twin size, so when we lay down with her, it's not completely awful.

Bonus - the cats will love it too.  LAWL! 

• imageenjoylife:
    I would setup her toddler bed in your room that way she gets used to sleeping in her own bed and you and your H are still close by. Hopefully as she gets better about sleeping in it then move it back or slowly back to her own room. I do like the ideas of glow sticks and flashlights and playing in the dark for fun too but this lets everyone sleep in their own beds and you aren't crammed into a toddler bed.
    I was going to suggest the same same thing about putting the bed in your room. I feel bad that so many mamas are having sleep issues with their LOs... Good Luck!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesofamonkey:
    imagejillybean800:

What was the reasoning behind a transition to a toddler bed? Was she resisting the crib? Maybe she wasn't ready to come out of the crib?

These kids. They don't want a crib. They don't want a bed. They are a mystery wrapped in an enigma...

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • imagejillybean800:
    imagesofamonkey:
    imagejillybean800:

These kids. They don't want a crib. They don't want a bed. They are a mystery wrapped in an enigma...

I believe you just hit the nail on the head.  BAM!
  • I really like enjoylife's suggestion.  We had a friend that did that with one of their twins and it eventually worked.

Also, C has a Spoka nightlight from Ikea -

(https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30150984/) 

Sorry no clicky, Chrome, but he really likes it!  You charge it and then it unplugs and they can take it to bed.  It's soft so won't hurt if they roll on it and it changes colors turquoise/blue/green or you can make it stay on one color.  (There's a red one too but maybe not great for sleeping!)  Seriously, kid loves this thing.  Sometimes we feel it makes it a take a little longer to go to sleep but he doesn't get upset at all when he has it, just stares at the pretty light, ha ha!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would leave her bed in her room... And set up a spot for you to sleep in there too. Then I would fade out over time. Closer and closer to door, etc.
    If she's scared of the dark I would definitely add a nightlight.
  • The only suggestion I have is something that worked for us in a different situation. Jack was afraid of going to the pedi, so I bought him a Berenstain bears book about going to the doctor. We read it a bunch and talked about it and talked about his pedi. The next time we went, he was worried, but not as terrified as he had been.

From what I've read you say about P she seems to comprehend things, and verbalized really well. So maybe talking to her about it and reading a book about a girl who sleeps in her own bed at night might help. It might be worth a try!
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • All I have to offer is ((hugs)).
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • imagelrn327:

I really like enjoylife's suggestion.  We had a friend that did that with one of their twins and it eventually worked.

Also, C has a Spoka nightlight from Ikea -

(https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30150984/) 

Sorry no clicky, Chrome, but he really likes it!  You charge it and then it unplugs and they can take it to bed.  It's soft so won't hurt if they roll on it and it changes colors turquoise/blue/green or you can make it stay on one color.  (There's a red one too but maybe not great for sleeping!)  Seriously, kid loves this thing.  Sometimes we feel it makes it a take a little longer to go to sleep but he doesn't get upset at all when he has it, just stares at the pretty light, ha ha!

I like that idea for a night light! Right now A uses his FP seahorse because it glows and has the soft light to it, but I wonder what will happen if he decides he's done with the horse and scared of the dark. Or if I go cuckoo from the same lullaby over and over again :-0  Kiddo plays with the night lights in our hallways as it is so they are strategically placed behind gates.  

I also agree with halo's suggestion about the book. A loves books and he adjusted really well to baby brother coming on the scene and I think its because we played the book hype up so much.  hmm...i need to do the same for potty training but that's a different post. Good luck and hope you guys all get some sleep soon!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would sleep in her bed with her for a while instead of letting her sleep in your bed with you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetiffanyp:
    I would sleep in her bed with her for a while instead of letting her sleep in your bed with you. 
    We do this, but she will wake up about every 3 hours & scream & be scared.  Each time it's harder to calm/comfort her.  Sad
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"