Stay at Home Moms

Having trouble getting little man to eat HELP?

Is it normal for almost 3 year old to not eat barely at all for a week and then still barely be willing to eat. I have tried bribing him with getting candy for eating his meal and he is still barely eating anything, I called his GI they are going to see him December 10th. I am just wondering if that is to long to wait. What are your thoughts?
Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Having trouble getting little man to eat HELP?

• There has to be more to the story if you already have a GI...

My DD is 2.5 and does not eat much.  We have elliminated snacks and juice and she eats better, but even that is about 1/4 of a sandwich and a handful of crackers at lunch.  I do give her Carnation Instant Breakfast in her milk at nap time (so right after lunch).  The docs have been concerned about DD's weight (or were at 12-18 mo), but she's grown....  just at her own pace (now about 25 lbs).
  • imageLalaMama81:

imageArnegard:
    There has to be more to the story if you already have a GI...

My DD is 2.5 and does not eat much.  We have elliminated snacks and juice and she eats better, but even that is about 1/4 of a sandwich and a handful of crackers at lunch.  I do give her Carnation Instant Breakfast in her milk at nap time (so right after lunch).  The docs have been concerned about DD's weight (or were at 12-18 mo), but she's grown....  just at her own pace (now about 25 lbs).

This. Why the jump to the GI? Or what else is going on? Has he lost weight? Is he sick?

I don't think I'd reward him for eating by giving him candy, but I haven't had a kid refuse to eat for that long. I'd continue to offer a variety of healthy foods during meal times. No juice, just milk and water. Is he drinking too much milk?

If there is more going on or he isn't neuro-typical my advice might not be accurate, but I'd just assume it was a phase and I'd keep offering. Unless there is a true medical reason, they will eat eventually.

Ditto all of this.  I'm always of the opinion that food shouldn't (and can't) be forced, kids will eat when they want to and how much they want to.  We don't really do snacks here, at least not on a regular basis.  DS will ask if he's hungry and then I'll give him something small like a piece of fruit to tide him over to his next mealtime.  Some days he just needs more than others.  I wouldn't really worry if his appetite slowed for a little while because I think his body knows what it needs better than I do. 

But maybe there's more to your story, in which case I shouldn't be providing advice.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you share a typical day of food/beverage from this past week? My DH thinks DD should be eating way more than what I think is perfectly fine. We don't have any GI or weight gain issues, though. So I understand if you have underlying issues that it would be really worrisome.
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"