VBAC

VBAC ?...been doing my homework, but still have a few questions...

I am not pregnant, but plan to be w/in the next year to year and a half.  I currently have a 2 year old son that I had a c-section with b/c he was breech.  I am kind of starting to do my homework on VBACs now b/c I know for sure I want to have one next time around.  I know a lot of info already...I figure the more armed I am with info the better.

My current doctor and hospital does not allow for VBACs, but my DR did say I was a good candidate for one.  He said w/in the next couple of years our hospital will probably allow them since we are getting a NICU and expanding the maternity wing.  If that doesn't happen I will have to travel 25 minutes away, out of state, for my VBAC.  I am OK with this if it has to happen this way. 

Well my mom is a surgical tech in the OR and when I told her I was wanting to go the midwife route next time around b/c I feel they are more intuned with our bodies and are less "knife happy," she kind of flipped out on me.  See, she has seen soooooo many c-sections it isn't even funny and she has also had 2 herself.  She just claims they are safer (which I know they aren't) and says that since I've already had one it is best I do another one.  She also said they will not mess around with me at all.  Once the heart rate speeds up at all on the baby I will probably end up with an emergency C/S. 

I know they watch the heart rate and of course I will do whatever is best for my child, but how true is this?  I mean, come on...our bodies are meant to give birth!  How true is it that if the heart rate goes up at all...my VBAC hopes are over??  I am also thinking of hiring a doula as well...good right???

Any thoughts on this to help me out would be great!

TIA ladies! :)  

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

Re: VBAC ?...been doing my homework, but still have a few questions...

• First- I think it best that you don't discuss with your mom anymore.  It always concerns me when there are people in the medical field who clearly haven't looked at any scientific research before they form an opinion of something (and then state their opinion as fact).

Also, a baby's heart rate speeds up a bit with contractions during a healthy labor and delivery.  So, if they are going to use that as an excuse, that's not good.  I remember the nurses commenting on DD's heart rate accelerations during contractions and saying that was a good sign that she was moving down.

Your own OB (who currently doesn't even DO VBACs) has stated that you are a good candidate and I'd assume he is more versed on the subject than your mother.

I had to switch hospitals and providers for my VBAC.  I used a CNM and she was awesome.  She had a back-up OB in the hospital if I needed a c/s but I knew she was not going to call one unless it was NEEDED.  And that is the kind of providor I wanted.  It sounds like you have really done your homework.  RCSs are NOT safer.  In many cases they are more dangerous than a VBAC.  Both have risks and it is up to you to decide which way to go. 

Good luck!  And I know it is annoying when your mom is on you about things (my mom was also- she thinks midwives aren't as educated as OBs, but I think she is thinking midwives on the prairie or something). But you need to make your decision for yourself.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • imageMAprincess:

First- I think it best that you don't discuss with your mom anymore.  It always concerns me when there are people in the medical field who clearly haven't looked at any scientific research before they form an opinion of something (and then state their opinion as fact).

Also, a baby's heart rate speeds up a bit with contractions during a healthy labor and delivery.  So, if they are going to use that as an excuse, that's not good.  I remember the nurses commenting on DD's heart rate accelerations during contractions and saying that was a good sign that she was moving down.

Your own OB (who currently doesn't even DO VBACs) has stated that you are a good candidate and I'd assume he is more versed on the subject than your mother.

I had to switch hospitals and providers for my VBAC.  I used a CNM and she was awesome.  She had a back-up OB in the hospital if I needed a c/s but I knew she was not going to call one unless it was NEEDED.  And that is the kind of providor I wanted.  It sounds like you have really done your homework.  RCSs are NOT safer.  In many cases they are more dangerous than a VBAC.  Both have risks and it is up to you to decide which way to go. 

Good luck!  And I know it is annoying when your mom is on you about things (my mom was also- she thinks midwives aren't as educated as OBs, but I think she is thinking midwives on the prairie or something). But you need to make your decision for yourself.

You are probably right!

Yes, that is the kind of CNM that I want!!

And yes, that is exactly what my mom thinks...

Thank you for your post...makes me feel a bit better :)

• Loading the player...
  • PP has some great points.

I wanted to comment on your worries of them sectioning you for any reason and TBH this is probably going to have a lot to do with your care provider.  Some care providers claim to be supportive of VBACs, but will not hesitate to section you.  So, for example, if you're not dilating "on schedule" they'll section you.  Or if baby's heartrate is the least bit concerning they'll section you rather than just keeping an eye on things.  The way to combat this is just to make sure you really have a supportive care provider whose opinion you can trust 100% when it comes down to it and you do that by asking the right questions initially.  It sounds like you're doing your research though so I'm sure you'll do fine navigating the waters.

And definitely ditto PP, I wouldn't discuss it any more with your mother.  She sounds uneducated about it and if she doesn't care to be educated on it then it's not worth discussing. 

My mom is kind of like this.  She says I "overthink" things.  She hasn't been negative about my choice to plan for a VBAC, but she just thinks it's silly that I'm doing so much to try to go in the other direction (i.e. I'm planning an unmedicated birth, I'm with a MW this time, etc.) and should just turn my care over to an OB again.  When I try to explain to her why I have good reasons for taking my plans in another direction she just doesn't believe me and reverts back to the "you're overthinking things" thing again.  Ugh... ANYWAY, I just try not to talk about it with her because unfortunately I'm painfully aware of the fact that I DO need to "overthink" things to give myself the best chance possible. 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:

PP has some great points.

I wanted to comment on your worries of them sectioning you for any reason and TBH this is probably going to have a lot to do with your care provider.  Some care providers claim to be supportive of VBACs, but will not hesitate to section you.  So, for example, if you're not dilating "on schedule" they'll section you.  Or if baby's heartrate is the least bit concerning they'll section you rather than just keeping an eye on things.  The way to combat this is just to make sure you really have a supportive care provider whose opinion you can trust 100% when it comes down to it and you do that by asking the right questions initially.  It sounds like you're doing your research though so I'm sure you'll do fine navigating the waters.

And definitely ditto PP, I wouldn't discuss it any more with your mother.  She sounds uneducated about it and if she doesn't care to be educated on it then it's not worth discussing. 

My mom is kind of like this.  She says I "overthink" things.  She hasn't been negative about my choice to plan for a VBAC, but she just thinks it's silly that I'm doing so much to try to go in the other direction (i.e. I'm planning an unmedicated birth, I'm with a MW this time, etc.) and should just turn my care over to an OB again.  When I try to explain to her why I have good reasons for taking my plans in another direction she just doesn't believe me and reverts back to the "you're overthinking things" thing again.  Ugh... ANYWAY, I just try not to talk about it with her because unfortunately I'm painfully aware of the fact that I DO need to "overthink" things to give myself the best chance possible. 

Thank you very much!  I know I NEED to find a provider that is 110% on board with my plan.  I want someone there encouraging me on, telling me that I can do it!!  I want someone who will talk a doctor down from a section unless TOTALLY NECCESSARY.  When is too soon to try and do some research on someone?  I mean I love my current OB, but like I said he cannot do VBACs b/c his hospital that he practices at does not allow them.  So for now...he is an out.  I really, really like him...but he does have a high c-section rate, so therefore I am thinking I may need to go somewhere else anyway. :(   

Thanks again for your help!

**My parents think that I "overthink" things too.  I am the one who does the research and reading on current baby/toddler info and they are pretty much like...well you turned out fine and we didn't do it that way.  So I know what you mean.  Guess it is best to just talk to my DH about it and that is it. 

• Just my two cents - besides NOT talking to people who aren't supportive about your choices.  I am currently driving almost an hour (and did w/ DS#1) to go to a midwife group that is supportive and where I think I'll have the best care, attention, and hope of a natural birth.  25 minutes is nothing, really. 

Hiring a doula would help, especially if she used to be or is trainined in nursing like some are, to help combat for you.

I'm kinda surprised people are not "allowed" to have VBACs... I mean, ultimately, it's your body and you truly can't be forced into anything.  You ALWAYS have the right to deny treatment while accepting some risks, always. Now that doesn't mean that they will not try to coerce the scare the heck out of you, but they certainly can't leave you on the sidewalk outside of the hospital if you're ready to push that baby out on your own either. Look into midwifes!  You can do it!

Lilypie - (YBLf)

Lilypie - (Cfah)
    image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">image"">
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"