Intro and when to tell kids about deployment? — The Bump
Military Families

Intro and when to tell kids about deployment?

Hi, I am new to this board (although I've posted on the military board on the nest awhile back). DH just got orders for his next deployment, which won't happen until exactly 1 year from now. Our kids are 7, 5, and we have one on the way. I want the kids to be well prepared, but I don't want them worrying about it all too soon. DH thinks we should just break the news to them now since they will probably hear us mentioning it to our friends and parents. I think we should keep it under wraps (from everyone) for at least a few months. After all, things change - DH was supposed to be deployed this whole year but it was canceled a few months beforehand.

Thanks!

Re: Intro and when to tell kids about deployment?

• I agree, tell them when you have a settled plan and know excatly what to tell them.  our daughter is 7 and we just had a new baby. We were always on short notice with deployments though (4 month heads up, 3 weeks notice and 9 weeks notice) We would tell her that daddy needs to go away and work in a different place to keep everyone safe.  We get her a map each time and put it up with his picture and our picture of where we are for the deployment so she can talk about it. Shes a smart kid we have always been honest and wanted her to have adjustment time. Good luck and congrats on the new baby to be!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with the other posters.  Wait until 2-3 months out.  The only thing you will do by telling them now is stress them out and mess up Christmas.  There is only so much you can do to prepare kids for deployment and it can really be done in a couple of months.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards