Pregnant after IF
Options

Intro/SCH ladies, please come in (long)

Very much hoping I am here for the long haul!  I know several of you from IF and feel like I know most of you from lurking ;)

Yesterday I had my first u/s at 6w2d - all looked "fantastic" per my RE.  The fetus was measuring at 6w3d and we got to see and hear the hb (120 bpm) - much to our surprise she even sent us on our way to move on to my OB. 

What a difference a day makes.  I've been demoted back to my RE b/c at noon today, I went to the restroom at work to find I was bleeding (mostly brown but a significant amount).  Got into see another RE at my clinic this afternoon and I've been diagnosed with an SCH.  She did not have much to say (or if she did, I was so emotionally all over the place, it didn't register) and I was really hoping my own RE would call me tonight, but she didn't.  

Though relieved to see the pregnancy is still intact, I can't help but worry. 

I've seen SCH mentioned here and there on the board, so I am just wondering if there is anyone else who has any insight or experience they can share?  

Thanks Ladies!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro/SCH ladies, please come in (long)

• Options
    I don't have any experience with SCH but just wanted to say how excited I am to see you here!

Me:40 AMA, DH:36 0% morph, TTC#1;
    BFP#1 4/2011, MMC 6/2011 11wks Trisomy 13;
    BFP#2 11/2011, CP
    FSH: 17.9, AMH: 2.2
    IVF#1 w/ICSI: ER 4/3: 5R,4M,4F
    ET 4/6 All 4 (1-8A+, 2-8A-, 1-3A) BFP#3
    Two weeks of beta hell = Blighted Ovum
    IVF#2 Aug/Sept: ER 8/27: 4R,3M,3F
    ET 8/30 (1-8A+, 1-6A+)
    Beta#1 9/10: 350; Beta#2 9/12: 796; Beta#3 9/20: 9155
    Expecting Boy/Girl Twins! My babies were born 4/23/13 at 36w1d!

• Options
    O.M.G.!!!! Hi!!! So happy to see you here! I don't have any advice except that SCH has been a common post on here, so I'm sure there will be plenty of support here in that regard.

On another note, congrats on your growing baby!! Yay for an awesome u/s!!
    dx: MFI 0% morph & low count. Occasional Anovulatory cycles.

TTC #1
    • IVF #1 4/21/12 - c/p
    • IVF#2 8/1/12 - BFP! DD arrived 4/10/2013.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC #2
    • FET #1 3/18/14 - BFP! DS arrived 11/19/2014.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh. I'm thrilled you're here but sorry about the SCH. I too have no experience but there are definitely other ladies on the board who have been in your shoes. GL!
  • Options
    I started bleeding at 6 weeks exactly and was diagnosed with a SCH too.  I pretty much bled/spotted from 6 weeks through 8 weeks and everything is great as of now (24 weeks).  The SCH had disappeared by the time I had my NT scan around 12 weeks.  Hang in there!  I know it's scary, but they are quite common and from what I can tell, generally have good outcomes! 
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options

Congrats on your pregnancy.

I have a history of an SCH.  I had spotting prior to my first u/s at 7 weeks, and my RE said it was so small they wouldn't have mentioned it if I hadn't had any spotting. 

At 8w6d I was walking and felt a gush.  I went to the bathroom and there was blood everywhere.  I went to my RE, and they said it was small, looked like the SCH had filled with blood and "burst" - but they weren't concerned.  I spotted for 2 days after.

At my 10w and 12w u/s my OB's office said the tear was so small that it wasn't worth measuring.

At 13w4d I felt the familiar gush, called my OB and ended up in the ER.  The SCH had grown to 2 1/2 inches.  They told my I was at an increased risk for a 2nd trimester m/c - which of course freaked me out to no end. 

I bled, non-stop until 19 weeks.  There was either red or brown blood every time I went to the bathroom.  I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nerve wracking.  It was.

That said, what I've gathered is some SCH's are small and resolve themselves quickly.  Others take a long time to heal up.  Yet others never heal up.

My advice.  Stay away from google.  It will make you more nervous than you need to be.  I followed my OB's advice to keep hydrated and take it easy. 

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Aegis just about summed it up.

i also have an SCH. Mine was not diagnosed until my 12 week NT scan, which I am still dumb founded by since that scan was my 4th ultra sound.

they told me it would either bleed out or re-absorb into my body, and any blood would most likely be brown and old.

i had no issues until 16.5 weeks when I had sex for the first time since diagnosis (my OB did tell me sex would irritate things). The spotting stopped but then a couple days later - while on a business trip I had an episode of heavier - red blood. We went back to OB and I was also diagnosed with a partial placenta Previa and they did not know if it was that or the clot causing the bleed.

At my anatomy scan at 18.5 weeks I still had my SCH. I however have had no more episodes. You should absolutely refrain from sex, exercise and heavy lifting as all three of these will aggravate it.

good luck. Try and rest and relax. SCH IS common and you're not alone.

congrats on the pregnancy! 

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Options
    I have no advice for you on SCH, but I wanted to say I am happy to see you over here. Congrats on your great u/s and welcome!
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • Options
    So excited to see you intro over here finally Smile 
    TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options

My SCH was gone by my 12w scan.  My OB told me to take it easy and go back on pelvic rest.  So, no sex!  She also told me to stay hydrated and off my feet as much as possible (I'm on my feet all day).

Good luck! 

After more than 2 years of fertility treatments, FET did the trick!
    IVF March 2012 - BFP! - Severe OHSS = 8 days in the hospital in kidney failure
    No heartbeat at 10w6d
    FET August 27,2012 = BFP!
    It's a boy!
    My Blog - 3 Dogs, No Baby

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Welcome and congrats! I had a big bleed from an SCH at 14 weeks... Super scary didn't know about the sch at the time I was put on bed rest for 2 weeks; I was allowed to go back to work this week even though I'm having brown bleeding/spotting still. I don't think there is too much doctors can say because SCHs vary so much from woman to woman. As PP said, I was told it would bleed out or absorb, and that I should be okay as long as it was brown. It's pretty obnoxious, but my MFM told me that most pregnancies with SCH turn out fine. Best of luck to you!

ETA: on my last ultrasound they could not find my SCH, so I'm guessing the old blood is just making its way out... Sloooowly lol
    Me: 30, DH: 30
    ~*~Married 8/31/08~*~

DX: MFI due to Chemo/Stem Cell Transplant for Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. RE said IVF is best option with DH's frozen boys.
    IVF #1 April 2012: Menopur and Bravelle; 1 egg retrieved, 0 fertilized. Boo.
    IVF #2 August 2012: Gonal-F 300, Menopur 300. Beta #1 9/6: 382... BFPx2!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Our boys couldn't wait to meet us! Colin and Kieran arrived March 26, 2013 at 33w1d.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Welcome and congrats! :)

I am sorry for your SCH...I have no experience, but as PPs have said, it seems that most people with SCH go on to have perfectly fine pregnancies, and they are not uncommon. I can only imagine how totally nerve-wracking it must be to deal with, though. I hope yours resolves soon so you can relax a little bit! And congrats on the heartbeat...that is great! :) 

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options

Congrats!

I had two hematomas -- one that was low near the cervix and another that was SCH. I went into the ER with heavy bleeding at 6w2d and I really thought it was over. It turns out that the lower hematoma was aggravated by an active day and my progesterone supps. It was never near the baby and turned out to be totally fine, but the ER docs really freaked me out. They said I only had a 50/50 shot of making it to 2nd tri.

A few days later, I went to the RE and they calmed me down a lot. They told me how common these were and that everything would most likely be OK. Then, like you, just a few days later, they found a huge SCH. The one nurse (who I have come to dislike) really freaked me out. She told me that it was huge, it was lodged between the baby and the uterine wall and that I was on complete bedrest with no lifting for a week. She said that moving too much or lifting could "rip" the baby and sac from the wall and end in m/c. Then she handed me a huge stack of my files to take downstairs and check out...

I was on modified bedrest for four weeks as the SCH shrunk. I had to go to work, but I kept my feet up under my desk and tried to stay seated as much as possible. For me, it turned out that the high dose of Estrace plumped up the SCH and the only thing that shrunk it was to lower the dose, then get rid of Estrace altogether. Once they did that, the SCH went down, never bled again, and eventually shifted to a lower, less dangerous location. I have been doing just fine ever since!

The point of this long story is that some nurses freaked me out and others explained how common they are. As long as you take it easy, it should be OK and it is rare for it to really cause problems. If you are on any Estrace, you can also talk to your RE about reducing it.

GL and (((hugs)))!!! 

imageimageimage

TTC since March 2009 // Me and DH - 28
    Testing Summer/Fall 2010 - Unexplained IF
    IUIs #1-4 ~ Clomid/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IUI #5 ~ Femara/Ovidrel/TI/IUI ~ BFN
    IUIs #6-9 ~ Research Study Meds/Pregnyl/TI/IUI ~ all BFNs
    IVF Consultation, More Testing
    Diagnostic Cycle ~ Mucinex/Progesterone/TI ~ BFN
    IVF #1 ~ Menopur/Bravelle/Ganirelix/Novarel/Progesterone/Lupron
    7R, 6F // 2 transferred // 3 frosties ~ BFN
    FET #1 ~ Estrace/PIO/Lupron
    3 thawed // 2 transferred // 1 lost // no more frosties ~ BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 456 // Beta #2 - 1176 // Beta #3 - 2933 // Beta #4 - 6753
    EDD: May 16, 2013
    Threatened MC at 6w2d
    Bedrest for SCH // 6w2d through 10w1d
    Elevated TSH and Lazy Thyroid DX @ 10w - Started Synthroid
    Finally released from RE at 13w
    Charles Everett ~ Born 5/20/2013

~~ My IF Blog ~~ 

• Options

I bled (very red and clotty) a lot from week 7-9 due to a SCH. It was terrible, I was beyond stressed over it. It finally went away and I haven't had any issues since ::knocks on wood::

• Options
    Congratulations!! I'm no help with the sch, but FX for you and the LO!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options

I was diagnosed with SCH right around 6 weeks after I woke up with sharp pain in my lower right side and began gushing bright red blood.  I immediately called my doc and had to go in for an u/s the next day.  Luckily, everything was perfectly fine with baby.  This happened again about a week later, same story.  It was at that visit that they diagnosed the SCH.  I go in next week for my 12 week follow up, and haven't had another "gushing" incident since....however, I have been spotting brown since the initial time.  The doctor told me that brown was old blood, so as long as there wasn't a ton of it, we should be okay.  It has lessened tremendously since 6 weeks, so I'm hoping it's on its way to healing itself.  We had tried for 6 years, and this is our first positive...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work itself out.  I'm still as sick as a dog with morning sickness and my bump has already started showing...so I can only hope that all is going okay until the next u/s.  Sorry that someone else has to deal with it, but good to know that I'm not alone! 

Best of luck to you!!!

Dx with PCOS in 2004; TTC #1 since 2006. 6 failed rounds of Clomid, 1 failed round of injectibles, innumerable failed cycles of herbs, accupuncture, etc. FINALLY got BFP on 10/4/2012 after 2 rounds of Femara Can't wait to be a mommy! Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"