January 2012 Moms

WCM

As my DS closes in on 10 months, I'm thinking about introducing him to whole cow's milk.  I know the recommendation is 12 months, but I don't think there's anything wrong with him having a taste.  Part of my reasoning is that we may be getting a house in a few months, and when that happens I'm going to look for a job.  DS never took to formula, so I'd likely wean him to WCM and solids during the day (I don't have a let-down for a pump, so it's either WCM or force him to start formula)

What are y'all's plans with WCM?  12 months?  Sooner?  Just as a beverage with solids and not for a feeding?

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
Lilypie Maternity tickers
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

Re: WCM

• I don't see any harm in giving it a try. A little sip here and there to get him used to the taste isn't going to hurt him. If he gets a bit gassy then you'll know he needs more time. We are planning on adding a sip here and there (gradual increase if she's OK with it) at around 11 months and see how DD does with it. If she does well for 2 weeks I'll start mixing it with formula 50/50 and by 12-13 months have her switch completely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I still nurse 4 - 6 times a day.  But he gets a few oz of wcm too. 

We started around 9 months (which is the recommendation in Canada - tho we don't live in Canada, it just fit with my work travel schedule).  One thing he did not like was the surprise of finding milk in his sippy cup.  So now we use a sippy cup for water and he gets milk in a small, narrow clear glass. 

Recently I had an interesting convo with a relative who is a nurse practitioner and sees a lot of kids in her practice.  She was recommending 2% and said that was the current rec from the academy due to concerns about obesity.  I smiled and nodded and explained that my skinny kid was going to keep getting wcm until at least 2 yo to help his neural pathways develop. 

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO will be 11 months next week and today is his last bottle of half formula and half whole cows milk.  He has adjusted to it really well and doesn't seem to have any aversions to it.  This was our last can of formula so tomorrow will be all cows milk.  He is a good eater and eats a lot of meat (chicken, turkey meatballs) so I know he's getting plenty of iron and vitamins from the food he eats.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLibraryChica:

imageHuahine:
    Recently I had an interesting convo with a relative who is a nurse practitioner and sees a lot of kids in her practice.  She was recommending 2% and said that was the current rec from the academy due to concerns about obesity.  I smiled and nodded and explained that my skinny kid was going to keep getting wcm until at least 2 yo to help his neural pathways develop. 

Really? That surprises me. My pedi warned us against 2% even for our chunker. I had asked because my own childhood doctor had my mom give me 2% from 18 months because of my weight. She said no, that DD's growth would likely level on its own the same way mine did and that, like you said, babies need those fats for healthy brain development.  And it's not an out-there office at all -- their recs are right along the academy's for just about everything else.

Our ped actually told us that fat was good and to even mix in a pat or two of unsalted butter to his food (blech) when we make the switch.

• imageraefre:
    imageLibraryChica:

imageHuahine:

Really? That surprises me. My pedi warned us against 2% even for our chunker. I had asked because my own childhood doctor had my mom give me 2% from 18 months because of my weight. She said no, that DD's growth would likely level on its own the same way mine did and that, like you said, babies need those fats for healthy brain development.  And it's not an out-there office at all -- their recs are right along the academy's for just about everything else.

Our ped actually told us that fat was good and to even mix in a pat or two of unsalted butter to his food (blech) when we make the switch.

In the words of Julia Child - you can never have too much butter, or gin.  I've been known to mix lashings of sour cream into LO's food just to up the fat content.  I wish there were more fatty greek yogurt options around.  Seems like most of the stores around here carry 0%.  Don't they know my kid lives on this stuff?

image"">image"">imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageHuahine:

In the words of Julia Child - you can never have too much butter, or gin.  I've been known to mix lashings of sour cream into LO's food just to up the fat content.  I wish there were more fatty greek yogurt options around.  Seems like most of the stores around here carry 0%.  Don't they know my kid lives on this stuff?

I never thought of adding sour cream, though I think that would suffice--and I'm less grossed out by that.  Then again, I remember licking the butter off the wrapper.

• My DS (1/5/12) also refuses formula (and i can't blame him - blech), so my pedi recommended introducing WCM.  I have been sending him to daycare with 5oz bottles of 1/2 BM 1/2 WCM for the last 2 weeks and he has done great.  I'm going to start titrating to more WCM soon so that I can stop pumping. Good luck!  

• I've never done WCM for a feeding.  Always as a beverage.  DS started weaning around 11 months, I think.  I was in no rush and took my time.  He was still getting some pumped BM after his first birthday.

For DD - we will likely not start taking her off formula until after her first birthday at the earlierst.  We won't be doing WCM, though.  Almond and/ or coconut milk for her.

Oh, yeah.  And i was always told WCM not 2% becuase they need the extra fat for brain development.  We did not do 2% until his second birthday... and he was a chunker too.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"