Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Fussy baby. Help!

My LO has been a dream until tonight. We have always known he's a bit gassy so yesterday I gave him gripe water before bed and he went to sleep easily. Tonight he scream/cried on and off from 8 pm - 1 am. I called telehealth and she really couldn't help me come to any conclusions so ill be calling the doctor once her office opens. He arches his back, pulls his legs to his chest and grunts and just seems so uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe he has reflux but he doesn't spit up a ton. Also he slept fine yesterday. He is 3 weeks 5 days - is this the dreaded 3wk growth spurt? Any similar experiences or advice would be appreciated. 

Re: Fussy baby. Help!

• I'm an RN and it sounds like textbook case of colic...or just really bad gas....colic is "by definition" where they cry for 3 hours every day for 3 nights a week for 3 months straight....I think that's how I remember the three 3's from school, lol. But yeah it definitely sounds to me like it's gas because he is drawing his legs up to his chest and arching his back.   You can also take his legs and move them like he's riding a bicycle to help work the gas out. Hope this helps!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Definitely could be gas.  The gripe water or gas drops don't help gas that's already in the intestines.  Do you BF, FF or both?  Do some bicycles w/ LO's legs to get the gas moving and rubbing the belly helps too.
  • Loading the player...
  • You could try colic massage.  There are lots of videos on youtube.  I know some ladies on my BMB swear by it.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks ladies. I EBF. I am gonna try the massages and pump his legs a bit. I have a doctors appointment this afternoon. 
  • I am going through something similar. I'm worried DS is sensitive to the foods I am eating, so I cut out dairy and soy. So far it's helping. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    M/C Nov 9, 2011 at 11 weeks.... We love you & miss you Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel your pain. My LO is 6 weeks old and we have been through so much already. At around 2 weeks he started getting super gassy, drawing his knees up, arching his back and would cry but was consolable. Around 3 weeks, he started to get reflux and then crying every night and every morning at 8. He would cry for hours no matter what we did. I changed what I was eating and went non-dairy and no caffeine whatsoever and he continued to cry. We put him on Prevacid for reflux about 3 weeks ago and that has help his discomfort when he "spits up." He never actually spits anything out of his mouth you can just tell that there is stuff coming up and he swallows it. We continued to breast feed until last week when our doctor urged us to just try some special formula that is for milk protein allergies. After having him cry non-stop for almost 4 weeks we decided to try it for one week. After three days he was a completely different baby. He actually played on a mat yesterday without screaming the whole time. He still has his bad time every night and every morning where he will cry for about an hour to two hours. The doctor diagnosed him with reflux, colic and a milk protein allergy. I hope you figure out what is going on but to me it sounds like colic. Especially if he does it at the same time every day, for several hours and is not consolable.
  • rock him in a colic hold.  he will be  laying down on your forearm.  that works as it helps with gas.   you can  also  put him in the car seat and  lift it up and down.. its calming for them
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"