Working Moms

Bad Feeling

So I'm freaking out a little bit. I'm an attorney at a small commercial litigation firm. While I was out on maternity leave, my boss forwarded me a legal resume of another attorney. I have no idea why he did this. I don't know if he did it on accident or if he was trying to ask me "Why am I getting these resumes" or what...but then I just got a phone call from another attorney asking if my boss had reviewed his resume.  Even more, there was another guy in the office earleir today who was an attorney who my boss appeared to be interviewing. Now I am starting to freak out that I am being replaced.  The only other thought would be if he is going to hire another full-time attorney which means that would cut into my workload...not that that would necessarily be a bad thing, but if that were the case, I would have thought he would have said something to me.     

EDIT: My paralegal said the guy he was meeting with was about a case and she said she would not worry about the other because people are always sending in their resumes and that is probably all it was.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Bad Feeling

• imagePrivacyWanted:

I'd be freaked out too...BUT, I've been at my firm almost 4 years. In that time I've seen them replace 2 attorneys after interviewing candidates. Everytime the partners were sure to schedule the interviews around when the soon-to-be replaced attorneys would be in the office (ie they'd send them to some random depo, or something).   In small firms I think it's the norm to do this.  And especially since you're PT I would think they'd have the foresight to only interview on days you're off.

They obviously like you and value you if they agreed to keep you on PT

Is there someone you can confidentially ask? (secretary, paralegal?)

I asked my paralegal and she does not think so.  She said that we get resumes from attorneys all the time and the other attorney in the office was about some case.  However, at the same time, I don't think he would tell "our" paralegal if he was going to replace me. Still, I have to admit that I'm a little worried. I've been here 3.5 years so I would hope if there was a problem he would talk to me...but who knows...

• imagePrivacyWanted:

I think even if he didn't tell her, she'd "know".  They can't help making comments etc.  Since you guys seem to be swamped right now, maybe he's even just taking on someone on a temp basis?

Would you be comfortable confronting him about it?

I would start preparing for the just in case though

She acts like to me that she doesn't think so.  I don't know, but I admit I am a little worried. I'm not like completely freaked out just because my boss and I have always had a pretty good relationship, but I am a little concerned just because I was out for medical leave and then took a short maternity leave.  I don't think I would ask him about it just because I don't want to look paranoid if it isn't true...and even if it were true, I doubt he would admit it.  I think that if it is true he is just testing the waters and not actively advertising for someone because if they had advertised for someone new then I feel confident it would have gotten back to me. 

Heck, for all I know, maybe he thinks I am going to quit on him.  One time he made the comment about a girl in our office who was pregnant, "I bet she doesn't come back after she has the baby."  She did. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"