April 2012 Moms
Options

Tips on going out

So tomorrow night is my husband's 30th birthday and the first time that we are going to be out during the time little man goes to bed. My mom is coming to keep him and she is wonderful with him and follows my guidelines. He goes down for naps easily, However i have always nursed him to bed for nighttime. I have no idea how many ounces he drinks during the day let alone for bedtime and with comfort sucking.

So my question is how much should i leave in a bottle?

any tips for my mom?

We will be close by and if he doesn't go down i can always come home real quick

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tips on going out

• Options

My 8 month old takes about 5 to 6oz of formula right before bed. I would say to give him a bottle of 6 oz of BM right before bed and maybe have another bottle just for back up purposes.

Tips for your mom, would be stay in the routine, cuddle, rock, bath night if that applies. I'm sure he will be fine. 

Enjoy your time out. 

• Options
    My LO drinks 4 oz bottles of BM any time I'm not home. The one time I left him during the night (Black Friday shopping), he only took 1 oz during his comfort nursing session (I know, we need to wean him off of it). He can just as easily comfort suck on me as he can with a pacifier once he's full, so I usually just slip that in his mouth once he's sleepy. Have fun!
    Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Luke drinks 4-5 oz of BM at a time, very rarely more which is normal for babies on breastmilk
  • Options

LO also nurses to bed. The few times we've had to leave at this time, we've given him what he gets during daycare, which is 5 ounces.  I would recommend leaving two bottles, perhaps of 3 ounces each. That way, if he drinks less because he's in an unfamiliar situation...you won't be dumping that milk:(

A few tips: give your mom every night time soothing technique you have--ie: is there a song you play at bedtime? How much do you warm the bottle?  Do you let him cry at all before you go in the nursery and pick him up?  Do you give tylenol if he is teething/in pain?  

We didn't leave nearly enough tips the first time we were out in the evening, and didn't realize how many things we do that MIL would not realize, even though she sees him often.

Tell her all the tips of what to do if he doesn't go down....and then go enjoy yourselves! Happy birthday to your DH! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My 7 month old takes 6 oz a bottle, on the higher end but he's fine weight wise.  I would leave between 5 to 6 oz, just to make sure you have enough, and like a pp said, slip the paci in for the comfort sucking.  Can she come over tonight for a trial run?  It might help calm your nerves/fears.
  • Options

Glad your mom sticks to your routine stuff. I told my MIL one time that DD liked to be sung old Macdonald to and then she says, ok, I'll sing her Bingo. I'm not sure if the song really mattered..but really? I tell you one thing and you have to change it...always marching to a different drummer. Anyways, my rant is over.

Sound like your mom will do great..have fun!!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My girls take an 8oz bottle each before bed. 
    Married 07/2011 <3
    ID Twin girls 04/2012 <3<3
    Baby #3 Due Jan. 2017  <3

• Options
    I always leave 4 oz bottles and an extra 2 just in case. DD never took more than 5 the whole time we were nursing. She always nursed to sleep when I was home, but was good about going to sleep with the bottle when I wasn't here. I also always told them not to worry if she didn't go down at the normal time because you never know how they'll react to a new person and routine. A couple times I got home and had to give her a bottle and rock her to sleep, but for the most part she did well. Have fun!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"