April 2012 Moms

more "moms who make purees" questions!

juniper is 7 mos. we exclusively breastfeed, with the exception of a small dinner of whatever i have pureed. i am making the purees with milk that was pumped when she was a newborn.

i feel more and more that she needs a little extra fat with her dinner sampling to get her through the night. i am trying to not get her into night nursing habits, but she is waking up earlier than usual to eat. so far, i've added coconut oil a few times to her purees. we haven't had any reactions, but is there any reason we shouldn't do this? does anyone else do this? also, is anyone out there concerned about iron? we don't (and won't be) do cereals, so she does not get fortified vitamin foods.

is olive oil also ok? 

when does everyone out there start meats? we do a little beef now and then.

it is difficult to find any really useful info out there on this stuff!!

Re: more "moms who make purees" questions!

• It's very rare that I use milk for the purees.  Most veggies you can use the water you cooked it with if it really needs to be thinned. 

Check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com it's a great site for some of your questions!  I follow those guidelines.

• My pedi recommended adding a little melted butter for extra fat/oil.  She also had us start meats to get in some extra calories, so we add pureed chicken to his cereal or veggies.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • hi, not sure about adding fats other than to say I know "healthy fats" are very important for a persons diet.  I don't think it would probably hurt. 

I have worried about Iron content for quite sometime with this DD.  with my first DD (16 years ago) she had an elevated lead level when she was approx. 2.  I had to give her iron supplements because that helps block lead absorption.  So I have been a bit nervous with this DD.  She is Bf'd  but we started supplementing formula (low supply/working) and so I know that is iron fortified and now we are also using iron fortified cereal to her meals. 

We wont start meats for another couple of weeks.  We have just started seriously adding in veggies regularly and fruits limitedly.

good luck, I am pretty what you are doing is fine, but you might ask your pedi for advice

Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• yes, i love that site too, and use many of the recipes. however, i have an abundance of breast milk in the freezer, and would rather use that up than let it go to waste! also, i think the familiar taste of the milk might make it more palatable for her, not to mention easier to digest!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"