Baby Showers
Options

BBS on Bedrest

I am on modified bedrest with my twins and will be when my baby shower is being held. Just wondering if any of you still had a shower while on bed rest, how it went, and how you accommodated things. My best friends are hosting it the first weekend in Jan and mentioned that I could wait and do a meet the baby shower but said they would rather do it before babies are here due to a. If babies come early I could be in the nicu b. not want to risk so many people being around two brand new preemie babies, not that they will be but DR said they will more than likely be here before the 34week mark due to complications. And c. Host 1 is due jan 26 and Host 2 is due Dec 26 and they said the likelihood of them trying to manage time to do a shower with two newborns of their own might be too much for them.

I'm just kind of stuck. WWYD?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: BBS on Bedrest

• Options
    Do what is best for your hosts and your health. Are you allowed to sit for 2 hours without having to mingle? How many weeks will you be in early January? How is the one due Dec 26th going to host a shower at the beginning of January? I'm lost. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I will be about 28 weeks. The host That is due in dec knows she may miss and the other host is completely okay with that. I am suppose to be laying down completely and only sitting up for bathroom, showers to eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would ask your doctor what modified bed rest means - i.e., can you attend your shower if you sit for the whole time.  Not to scare you, but I have a friend who was pregnant with twins and on some type of bed rest (not sure if full or modified) but she attended her shower (she sat the entire time), and then she delivered her babies a week later very prematurely (thankfully, her babies are both fine).  So, I would absolutely defer to your doctor's advice.

Worst case scenario is the shower can be held without you (I know, that's no fun!) and the gifts delivered to you (or maybe your SO can go in your place) or it can be changed to a meet the baby party after the babies are home and healthy enough for visitors, and your friends have settled in enough with their LOs to feel ready to host something. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I would defintely opt for the "before the babies" option.  Is it possible to actually have the shower at your home?  That would cut down on having to go anywhere (which I'm thinking you won't be allowed to do anyway).  If you can sit up to eat then you could probably sit for a couple of hours for your shower.  If you had a recliner maybe that would help?

I never had a shower while on bedrest but a friend of mine was put on bedrest and she had her shower after the baby was born (I hosted).  She did not have twins though...and although the baby was 3 weeks early there were no issues.  He was 3 weeks old when the shower was held.  NO ONE asked to hold him.  She held him or he was in his little bassinet.

• Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! My mother graciously offered to have it at her house so I can lay down and DH is going to come at the end to do the gift opening!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"