Working Moms

going back to work

Hi Everyone,

I go back to work in the beginning of January.  My mom will be watching my DS.  My question is - did you just go back to work cold turkey?  Or do you need to practice leaving your LO for extended periods of time?

Thanks! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
BFP #1 DS born 10/16/12 at 39w6d
BFP #2 DD lost 11/17/14 at 17w2d

Re: going back to work

• With my first child, my mom watched DD when I went back to work.  I did a couple practice days with her before I returned to work.  I took DD over for a full day 2 or 3 times, and I used the time to get stuff done- buying new work clothes, cleaning the house, etc.  It worked out well.  I was able to jump right back into work FT and my mom and DD had no problems.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With both girls I went back cold turkey. It was tough with DD1, but with DD2 I had no problems.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I went back half days for the first week.  The next week I went full days and didn't have an issue - it was a nice transition.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers imageimage
  • I went cold turkey, but my return date happened to coincide with July 4th, so I had two days, holiday, two days, then weekend when I returned. That did make the return a little easier. I also did have a couple of practice days of pumping and LO getting bottles during the day (DH took his paternity leave for a month after I returned to work, so the practice days were also for him to get used to being the care taker during the day).
  • I went back cold turkey. She did go one half day to DC but that was it.

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • I did some practice days at daycare one week before starting. It was more for me than for him so I can get used to being away from him for extended amount of time.
  • Cold turkey

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• If you can do it, I think it is good to practice.  Our daycare gave us a free 4 hr trial and I did it the week I was going back to work  - i went back mid-week at the suggestion of a few friends adn I highly recommend that.  I dropped DS off, cried my eyes out, went to Target and was back in less than 2 hrs and had to push myself to leave him there that long. I cried every morning leaving him for probably weeks,...I commuted w/my husband hte first week or 2 and he was like you have to stop this (getting on the train cryin), but it was so hard.  i know not very professional at work...but it was so hard and I really wanted to be home w/DS.  So...for your own mental sanity when you go back to work, if you are able to leave your baby it is good to try beforehand....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"