Attachment Parenting

BLW

Hey All, I usually lurk here and I thought you ladies could answer a question for me.  

I have been getting a TON of pressure to start LO on solids (he's 3 mths) however, I don't feel comfortable with doing so.  I was always getting asked why so I started researching and I found the Baby Led Weaning approach to introducing solids.  It really seems like a great idea to me and I totally see the benefit and love that BM is the primary source of nutrition. However, when I explained this to some family friends they all but called CPS on me!  

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with BLW and would suggest it? Am I missing something that this is a terrible approach to feeding my baby?  TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BLW

• Okay first stop discussing it with your family. Easier said than done I know. Our family thought/thinks we're crazy too.

That said, we did BLW and loved it. It's what worked for us and we'll definitely do it again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• imagedanienross:
    That said, we did BLW and loved it. It's what worked for us and we'll definitely do it again.

We did BLW and loved it.  I can't imagine doing anything else because it was so easy and natural.  As a breastfeeder, I felt like it was a really natural transition to solids, since breastfeeding is also "baby led."

I always sound like a broken record, but I really recommend the Baby Led Weaning book.  Both because it will help you respond intelligently to your family, but it will also help you practice BLW more safely and make you (and your SO) feel more comfortable with the process.  It's always easy to tell who has and hasn't read the book by the way some people go about it, and I've seen some pretty scary stories (all with happy endings!) where people were basically doing exactly what the book says not to do.

I did a couple of blog entries on my BLW experience:

https://katorade.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-feed-your-baby-dragon.html

https://katorade.blogspot.com/2012/07/mommy-mondays-baby-food.html

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I told a friend of mine about BLW when she started introducing solids to her daughter, and she had the same reaction as your family (actually, the look on her face was priceless). Don't worry about their reactions, do your research, and take the course of action that is right for you and your own child.
    griffin
  • imageblu-eyedwife:

Loved the video! Hubs was pretty impressed with your LO eating the corn :)  We are ordering the book tonight, thanks for the advice everyone! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We've done a bit of a mix of finger foods and purees from the start. Some days I just find purees more convenient.

Having said that, LO has been on finger foods completely for the last month.

I just wanted to say do what feels right for you and ignore your family, especially on the 3mth thing. No Dr would advise you to give a healthy 3mth old solids.

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Ditto reading the book...

I love that DD is self-feeding.  I was super nervous about choking (and am still very cautious), so I started her by giving her things that are  mashed and letting her go at it.  Then I went to things that while, not mashed, pretty much mash as soon as she puts them to her mouth, like soft sweet potato fries (sometimes I bite off the ends if it gets a little too hard) and butternut squash fries.

She loves it.  The biggest problem we have is if we are eating something that she can't have (high salt, coffee etc) she gets really mad because she wants to try it.

I spoke to a dietician about it, and she did some research and told me that nutritionally it is great, because LO is still getting BM (or formula) and everything else is just play for now.  She said that they are having all kinds of problems with babies now because they are on purees for too long and they reject foods with other textures, like meats when they are older.  She was concerned about choking hazards, but said that if it were her baby she'd do it the way I do.

IF you are thinking about going this route, then definitely read the book and do some online research as well.  There are some things that are choking hazards and should be avoided, like apples, grapes etc.

No matter what you do, three months old is WAY to early for any form of solids.

ETA: I did a first aid course to practice how to handle it if DD does choke... it's a good idea regardless of what feeding method you choose...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love BLW and can't imagine doing it any differently. One tip: if I told people that I was doing BLW, they looked at me like I was nutso, psychotic, crazy, etc.... If I just send, "oh we pretty much just skipped purees and went straight to finger foods when she started eating at 6 months" everyone was totally ok with it.  It cracked me up. I think the term just throws people for a loop.

i also liked the book a lot and have used the cookbook for ideas when I get in a funk. 

href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/33e2da" rel="nofollow">Chart

• imageblu-eyedwife:

imagedanienross:

We did BLW and loved it.  I can't imagine doing anything else because it was so easy and natural.  As a breastfeeder, I felt like it was a really natural transition to solids, since breastfeeding is also "baby led."

I always sound like a broken record, but I really recommend the Baby Led Weaning book.  Both because it will help you respond intelligently to your family, but it will also help you practice BLW more safely and make you (and your SO) feel more comfortable with the process.  It's always easy to tell who has and hasn't read the book by the way some people go about it, and I've seen some pretty scary stories (all with happy endings!) where people were basically doing exactly what the book says not to do.

I did a couple of blog entries on my BLW experience:

https://katorade.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-feed-your-baby-dragon.html

https://katorade.blogspot.com/2012/07/mommy-mondays-baby-food.html

As usual, I agree with everything blu has to say on the subject of BLW! We had a great experience with it and I can't imagine doing it any other way. I have started several babies on purees as a nanny and I can tell you BLW was so much easier and less stressful! 

• We loved the BLW approach to solids! As others said, definitely read the BLW book and don't talk to your family about it - most of our parents are from the formula/gerber food era so this just doesn't compute with them. 

After witnessing it, both our families were very supportive. Best of luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"