Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Milk Flow Deminishing

Hi everyone, wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions that could help me out.  I'm a first time mom andI have a 5 month old.  I am pumping at work and still nursing at nights and weekends or when she's not at the sitter. I used to be able to pump 6 oz no problem, maybe a little bit more a day while I'm at work, but lately it seems I can barley get 5 oz's and I'm pumping 3 times a day for 10 minutes. We are doing half breast milk and half formula at daycare so she is getting enough. Does anyone have any helpful tips to maybe help get my milk supply up again?? I didn't know if my milk supply is supposed to decrease the older she gets or what?? I've also been pumping the water hoping that would help.

Thank You!!

Re: Milk Flow Deminishing

• Options
    I am not sure what pumping the water means, but no your milk flow should not automatically diminish as she gets older. Reading your pose, the first thing that immediately comes to mind is, have you changed the white membranes on your pump recently? They can get worn out and decrease your supply. Try that first.

Also, did you just get your first pp period? That can cause a temporary a reduction in supply. How about decongestants or other new meds they can also bring down your supply while you are taking them.

Let me know what you think.
  • Options
    lol. I meant I've been drinking a lot of water. I haven't changed those recently, I will do that!! An yes I have had 2 really heavy pp periods, so that could very well be it. Thank You so much!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had the same problem when I went back to work, too.  It was so frustrating!!! I drank a ton of water, ate foods that help w/ milk supply (oatmeal, carrots...you can look up the list) and I took Fenugreek (can make baby gassy though. DIdn't bother my LO that she was gassy so I was okay w/ it.  She just farted A LOT!).  Eventually, after a few months I stopped.  It was so hard, I was hardly getting anything.  :(  I have 2 month frozen so I have been giving her that.  I wanted to at least get her to 6 months. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The ladies on the Breastfeeding Board have great advice. You might want to XP if you haven't already. Also, KellyMom.com is awesome for BF advice!

• Options
    I'm on an MSPI diet and my supply started dipping. I didn't want to take Blessed Thistle because I had read about it causing diarrhea, stomach cramps, and gas (gas for baby too and he's plenty gassy on his own) and I didn't want to take Fenugreek because I didn't want to smell like syrup. Lol. So, I called an LC. She told me to take calcium,magnesium,and zinc (comes all in one pill!) three times a day. I took it for the first time today and can already tell a difference.
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    You can also try power pumping.  This helped get my supply up.  People do different time increments, but you do a regular pumping session and then I pumped for 5 minutes and then took a 15 minute break and repeated for 3 hours per day for 5 days straight.  You have to do it at the same time every day.  You won't pump much when you are power pumping but your supply should go up in the days after.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"