Working Moms

FMLA paperwork assistance

Hi out there,

I am completely overwhelmed with FMLA paperwork and am not sure what, if any, to fill out; this is my first baby. I started my job in October 2012 and have a due date of February 8, 2013. I told my employer this when I was first hired and he said it wasn't a problem for me to be out on leave (I told him I was planning on taking a short leave - I'm thinking maybe 4-6 weeks at the most). Do I qualify for paid leave? Unpaid leave? Do I have to submit paperwork? I'm totally lost here. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks!

Re: FMLA paperwork assistance

• Unless I'm reading this wrong, you will have only been at your job 4.5 months max when your leave starts- as far as I know you will not qualify for FMLA. You have to be there for a year to qualify for FMLA, which is 12 weeks unpaid.

It depends on your employer whether they offer paid or unpaid leave and what paperwork is required.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • You qualify for FMLA if your company is over 50 employees and if you've worked there for a year before you start your leave. It doesn't sound like you've been there over a year. I also don't qualify for FMLA (my company is less than 50 employees) and I'm pregnant. My boss and I drafted a maternity leave policy that I will follow. The amount of time you can take an whether it's paid or unpaid is up the the decretion of your company. Other than FMLA there are no mandated maternity leave policies companies have to follow. Either they will have one in place or you will have to negotiate one yourself. Whatever you do, get it in writing. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the responses so far, ladies! My company is less than 50 employees and we do not have an HR department. Any tips or suggestions on what I could propose to my boss for a leave contract? Thanks!
  • imageBabyNack:
    Thanks for the responses so far, ladies! My company is less than 50 employees and we do not have an HR department. Any tips or suggestions on what I could propose to my boss for a leave contract? Thanks!

It sound like your situation is similar to mine. I wouldn't go in expecting any paid time, but see what your boss says. Are there any ladies you work with that have gone on maternity leave? You could ask them if they recieved any paid time.

I'm the first of my company to need maternity leave. My boss is allowing me to use my accrued sick/vacation leave, is giving me an additional 2 weeks paid, and was originally going to give me 6 weeks total off (with the remainder unpaid) but I asked for and was granted a total of 8 weeks off. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• imagehonkytonk_kid:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, you will have only been at your job 4.5 months max when your leave starts- as far as I know you will not qualify for FMLA. You have to be there for a year to qualify for FMLA, which is 12 weeks unpaid.

It depends on your employer whether they offer paid or unpaid leave and what paperwork is required.

This.

It depends if your company offers short term disability, and at what percent of pay that your company offers. Set up a meeting with HR.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If you go back before 6 weeks, you need your doctor to sign that you are ok to go back.  even at 6 weeks, you need that paperwork, but that's standard.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FMLA wont kick in until you've been there a year.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"