Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

3 m/c-should I request testing?

Hi ladies. I am new to this board...I am currently going through my 3rd m/c.  I have a DD, 5, who I had 2 m/cs before. My DD and previous pregnancies were not with MH.  This is our first pregnancy and loss. I met with my dr. yesterday and she expressed that she is hopeful that I can still have a healthy pregnancy as I have DD. (She is not the same dr. I had with my previous pregnancies).  She was very kind, and made me feel like she actually cared, expressing that she also had several losses and that some women just have many while others have none. She said the positive thing is that I can get pregnant, it's just keeping me pregnant. She told me to wait one cycle and then I can try again. She didn't mention anything about testing or if I should do anything different or come in earlier next time around..my husband wants to know WHY it happened. I keep trying to explain to him it was very early on, something was probably wrong and the pregnancy wasn't going to be successful, that there's no way of knowing. He says we should have testing done to see if there's something wrong and that's why I've had so many m/cs.  Any advice from those who have had multiple m/cs? I told him if we have another m/c together, I would request testing.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

Re: 3 m/c-should I request testing?

• I'm so sorry for your losses.

If it were me personally I'd have testing done. At a minimum I'd ask for thyroid levels and a 7dpo progesterone check and probably request progesterone supplements for future pregnancies immediately upon getting a BFP.

There's a post on the TTCAL Blog that covers some of the RPL testing if you're interested.

RPL Testing

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Thank you. Yes, with my DD I was on progesterone supplements (per my request, my dr sucked!) and this time as well I requested it and they prescribed it for me. I will check out the link, thanks.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• Loading the player...
  • Sending you lots of hugs. No one should ever have to go through this once let alone multiple times. After our second loss, we went to an RE and got further testing done. He wasn't able to find much for either me or my husband but we are so incredibly glad that we went to him because he has been very thorough and we continue to see him.

Your OB might be able to do some general testing for you too. 

• I don't really have an answer to your question as I'm in the same boat.  I have an almost 3 year old son, had one miscarriage with DH while TTC DS and one miscarriage when I was in college, so like you 3 total but not consecutive. And I had no issues during my pregnancy w/ DS, so obviously I can have a healthy pregnancy.  I saw my regular endo yesterday (not an RE) and she suggested I get some tests done for clotting disorders.  We know my thyroid and hormones were perfect when I got pregnant this last time around because my endo was monitoring everything closely so that wasn't the issue this time around.  (Both earlier miscarriages were before my thyroid disorder/PCOS was diagnosed.)

I will probably ask my midwife (I currently see midwives within an OB practice) to order the blood clotting tests and if/when I get pregnant again I'll probably also request the progesterone test just to be on the safe side. 

My big boy is bounding towards 4! Baby brother coming in October!
    Hipster dog is not impressed.
  • First let me say I am very sorry for your loss.  I know from experience there is nothing I can say to make you feel any better but it does help to talk to other people who have been through similar experiences.  I have a DD ('08), MC twins 3 years ago, MC again this past August and am currently 6 weeks pregnant tomorrow.  This past MC my dr decided to start testing, thank the LORD, because she found out we had a big problem but such a simple fix.  I have a folic acid defiencency that kept me from being able to carry the baby.  I have been on folic acid scripts since Aug and everything looks great so far.  My point being, I would DEF request testing.  I would hate for you to go through this even one more time when it could be a really easy fix.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I know how tough it is but you will get through it.  Hugs!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you everyone! This has been really helpful. I think I will discuss this with MH tonight and make an appt to meet with my dr. next month so we can get a plan in order.

• Hi!

I have had 3 MC's since the birth of my son 3 years ago... I have had so much testing done by my OB but everything is coming back normal.  I am contemplating getting immunology testing done but this can be very $$ but if I can get some answers it would definitely be worth it...  anyone gone this route after multiple MC's and no answers?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"