Single Parents
Options

new here... have a few questions?

Hi, i'm a FTM and i'm 22 weeks pregnant. As soon as the baby's father found out i was pregnant, he told  me he wanted nothing to do with the baby and wanted to sign over his rights. He said he didn't even think it was his. Can I still get child support if he signs over his rights? Should I even pursue child support? I have a job and the baby will be on medicaid so i won't have to worry about medical insurance (at least for the first year). But i'm not sure i will be able to support my son with only a part-time job because I am going to try to finish college. My mom has said she will keep him so i won't have to pay for daycare, which will help some. Not sure what to do. Please help.

TIA! 

Re: new here... have a few questions?

• Options

I think he is still responsible for child support even if he 'signs away his rights'  I believe he is still under obligation to support the child legally. 

I am not a legal expert....hopefully someone comes along who can answer your question better.  You mentioned that you are in school.  Does your school offer free legal support (Some Universities provide this service for their students)

• Options

No. if he signs over his rights, he gives up ALL rights, including any financial obligations, so you will not be able to collect child support if he does that. And, on the other side, if he decides in the future to want to see the child, you have no obligation to let him since he signed his rights away.

good luck. After me and my daughter's father split, we stayed with my parents, I worked full-time and went to school at night to finish my degree. It's tough, but you can do it! Never give up.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageUberBiz:

No. if he signs over his rights, he gives up ALL rights, including any financial obligations, so you will not be able to collect child support if he does that.

I think that depends on the state you live in.  I am pretty sure that is the case in (for example) Texas.  BUT I think in Illinois it does NOT release the father from financial obligation.

• Options
    I agree with the other women that think "all rights" include child support too.  It sounds like your mom will help you out a lot.  That's definitely a good thing.  There are all sorts of programs you can get assistance with, such as WIC, (WIC will help with formula for baby...I'm not ashamed to admit I needed the assistance of WIC! :) ) pell grants for parents wanting to go to college, etc.  There are others out there, but those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"