Pregnant after a Loss
Options

OB Triage says "Nothing we can do at 22 weeks"

I will be 22 weeks on Friday (my ticker is a bit off). I have quite a long and complicated history, but long story short this is my fifth pregnancy, one live birth with twins. I have a separate unrelated auto immune disorder that requires I get IV transfusions every 3 weeks. I had one today, and they routinely cause dehydration.

After it was over, I started experiencing really uncomfortable contractions every two minutes for over an hour. They started getting painful even though I was downing water and lying down very still. It got so bad I of course called the doctor who immediately told me to get to OB Triage right away so they could check me out.

I get there, the nurse finds the baby's heartbeat, and leaves the room. I pee in a cup, but they do not dip it for a UTI or anything. It just sat on the sink. They do not hook me up to a monitor, they do not check my cervix.

The contractions had slowed by this point, but I definitely thought they would check me out a bit. No.

The nurse goes on to tell me that because I am only 22 weeks, there is nothing they could do for me anyway. She said they would not check my cervix because it wouldn't matter if I was dilated, because babies aren't viable at 22 weeks. She did not put me on a contraction monitor and said it was because even if I was having them, medications to stop them are ineffective until 24 weeks.

WHAT? I'm sorry, that is so unbelievably NOT TRUE!!! I was flabbergasted. I questioned her about why they wouldn't just check my cervix and she again said there was no need. She gave me a glass of water and told me I could go.

Questioning her further, she said to me, "If you were truly in labor, it would mean there was probably something wrong with the baby or you had some kind of infection, in which case it is in the best interest of the mother to expel the baby." WHAT??? Have you ever heard of an incompetent cervix? Of bedrest? Of a Terb drip? Of an emergency cerclage? There are plenty of things you could do to help get this baby two more weeks in the womb so they have a shot! How can you tell me there is nothing at all you can do?!?

I literally cannot believe that just happened. Why on earth wouldn't they at least try to stop labor and get me to viability? Why on earth wouldn't they at least check my cervix so I could be better informed of what is going on? They didn't even dip my urine!!! What if I had a UTI that was causing contractions???

I told the nurse that the doctor sent me to OB triage specifically to get my cervix checked, and she said, "Well, she must just not know how we do things here."

Um...considering she practices at that hospital I am pretty sure she does!!! 

Thank God the contractions slowed and now have almost stopped altogether. I just can't get over how they literally did nothing at all to monitor me or check me out.

Am I wrong to be completely livid that this just happened??? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: OB Triage says "Nothing we can do at 22 weeks"

• Options

I lost my son last year at 22w4d, so I know firsthand that yes, at 22 weeks there isn't anything they can do if you are truly in full-blown labor. The Terb drip won't work. Either will a cerclage if you're in active labor. There are some medications that might help, like procardia, but they are in pill form and if you were already in full-blown labor there wouldn't be time for them to work. And yes, bed rest may help but not if you're already in active labor. The key component is the contractions. If you're just dilating, that's one thing. But the contractions are the tricky part. The worst part is that if your baby is born alive at 22w they will not attempt any life-saving interventions.

That said, I would be LIVID if they did not check my cervix. When I arrived at L&D at 22w4d in PTL, I was already 4 cm dilated so there was nothing they could do. But the doctor specifically told me that if I was only 1 or 2 they could maybe attempt some things. I would at least want that maybe chance, and how are they going to know that unless they check you? They should have at least monitored you, and if you were indeed contracting, given you an IV to see if the fluids would help.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about this, and see if there's something you can do to prevent dehydration during your transfusions.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageBeautyfromAshes:she said to me, "If you were truly in labor, it would mean there was probably something wrong with the baby or you had some kind of infection, in which case it is in the best interest of the mother to expel the baby."

This comment, however, really pisses me off. Nothing was found to be wrong with my son, and no infection was found. My body, for whatever reason, simply refused to keep him in. I would've punched her in the face. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm glad everything is settling down, but I would be livid as well. I think you should definitely follow up on things both on the hospital side and telling your OB about it. As weddedwife said, it's true that they can't do anything for the baby at that stage, and if you're really well into PTL then they can't do anything for you, either, but how are they supposed to know if you're in PTL if they don't check to see if you're dilated?? What if you were a fingertip or a 1? Then they could have talked about measures like a cerclage (if the ctx stopped/slowed down) or procardia or any number of options.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    Omg! I am sorry that happened to you!
    Anniversary
    My Blog!
    TTC #1 since 11/1/2011
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    DX: Hypothyroidism (2004) & Possible PCOS (2/2012)
    CD3 b/w: Elevated LH:FSH ratio HSG: All clear! Y-shaped Uterus; SA: Normal
    Round 1 of Clomid (50mg) 8/28-9/1: BFP!
    BFP #1: 9/23/12 Edd: 6/4/2013. M/C 9/28/12 @ 4w4d
    Round 2 of Clomid (100mg) 10/3-10/7: BFP!
    BFP #2: 11/3/12 Edd: 7/16/2013. mmc discovered at 18w2d (our baby girl stopped developing at 15w3d due to Down's Syndrome). d&e 2/15/13
    3/28/13: "quite a few" uterine polyps and scar tissue discovered.
    Hysteroscopy (4/16/13): Polyps, Scar Tissue removed. Septate confirmed & removed.
    Appt with new RE 5/30/13
    Surprise BFP (with no treatment!) 6/30/13
    Our perfect little boy was born 3/11/14 - 9lbs 2oz, 21 1/4"

• Options
    I am so glad the contractions stopped.  I am sorry that you had to deal with this, and yes you have every right to be livid.  While it is true that if you were in true labor, they may not be able to stop it, however, checking for infection and checking the cervix would not be too much to ask for.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Options
    That nurse needs a reality check, a throat punch, and probably a little sit-down with her manager and/or the chief of OB at the hospital. 

If there was an infection as she suggested, it is completely appropriate for the physician to perform a speculum exam to collect cultures, as well as test you for a UTI. Sending you on your way with a cup of water is just not acceptable. 

EMTALA laws mandate that facilities perform a thorough assessment and/or treatment to ANY patient that presents to their facility to determine if an emergency condition is present. If you do choose to follow up with hospital management (and I think you should), do a little EMTALA research and bring that up. Not only was that nurse a rude b!tch, but she was likely in violation of a federal law and could lose her job. (Not that I wish that on anyone. In your case, everything sounds like it is resolving. God forbid that someone else comes to that hospital and actually goes home and delivers a 22-weeker at home.) 

ETA: Appropriate care for someone at 22 weeks would include fetal doppler to confirm FHR, assessment by external fetal monitor for contractions, PO hydration (making you drink tons of water), and then whatever the physician deems appropriate (including pelvic exam, IV fluids, urine testing/cultures for infection). In most cases, this would fix whatever the problem was (dehydration, infection). But in those thankfully rare cases of IC or PTL, you'd need more treatment (like PPs suggested, procardia, terb, emergency cerclage, etc.) 

• Options
    Holy cow, I would be so livid!  I can't believe they wouldn't at least check your cervix or check for an infection.  I agree with pp that you should follow up with this.  I'm so glad your contractions have stopped. 
  • Options
    Raise hell. I'm so, so sorry you were treated like that, but I'm glad the contractions seem to be coming to an end. Keep cooking, LO!
    It was a rough road, but Arlo Daniel was born April 1, 2013—and our second rainbow is due October 12, 2014.
  • Options
    Ive had this happen to me. If this happend again ask for the charge nurse and tell her what you want! I am so very sorry this happened to you. (hugs). I would also call and complain and explain your OB sent you there to be checked.

BFP#1 11.19.10 Missed MC 01.10.11 Sam & Alex
    BFP#2 05.08.11 Birthday 1.11.12 Peyton
    BFP#3 06.10.12 Birthday 2.14.13-Cooper Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Congrats to my buddy Ambs21! Welcome to the world Audrey!
    Congrats to my buddy Mork! Welcome sweet E!
  • Options
    imagePetraStonegirl:

Not at all. I'm be burning through phone lines until I got the Chief of Obstetrics on the phone. You DEFINITELY need to call your OB and talk to them about this tomorrow, I would also follow up with the Charge nurse at L&D tomorrow.

Do Not Assist rules before 24 weeks applies to babies at most hospitals, not mothers. Hell, even the ER would have given you IV fluids for dehydration. 

This. I cannot believe you had to go through this. I am so sorry

• Options

I would furious.  Wouldn't it make sense to determine if you truly were in labor or not?

I'm so sorry you had a scare and that you had to deal with this!

TTC since 5/2010
    DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
    BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
    IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
    IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
    Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
    U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
    IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
    BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    OMG. She needs to be fired! I'm so sorry you had to deal with such an insensitive and hateful twat!

[spoiler] My Blog: Grow Baby Grow

BFP #1: 12/2009 m/c 1/2010 BFP #2: 6/2010 m/c 8/2010

BFP #3: 10/2011 ectopic 11/2011 (right tube removed, learned left tube was probably nonfunctional due to scar tissue from infection after m/c)

3 failed IUIs, IVF #1: 18R, 12M, 10F, 3 poor quality 5d embryos transferred= BFP #4!!!!!

Betas: 9dp5dt: 64 ~14dp5dt: 91 (expecting miscarriage, doubling time of 236 hours) ~16dp5dt: 200~18dp5dt: 500

First Ultrasound at 6w2d revealed two sacs, only one with a heartbeat

LK arrived after 42 weeks on August 14, 2013! Beautiful, healthy, and happy!

TTC#2: IVF booked for April 2015

Surprise BFP#5 February 19, 2015 EDD: November 2, 2015

Betas: 10dpo: 10, 14dpo: 77, 17dpo: 270

First Ultrasound at 5w1d showed a miracle UTE baby! And right ovary ovulation to left fallopian tube.

JD arrived at 38 weeks on October 20, 2015.

TTC #3: Since October 2017. BFP #6 July 2, 2018 EDD: March 16, 2019 [/spoiler]

• Options
    I am so sorry that you had to go through this.  How are you doing now? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
    #1 BFP 2/24/11 EDD 10/29/11 Born 11/1/11
    (via emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord; dx with sensorineural hearing loss Feb 2012)
    #2 BFP 9/13/12 EDD 5/20/13 Natural M/C 10/3/12
    #3 BFP 11/13/12 EDD 7/27/13
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Everything the PPs said!  I would absolutely be livid and would definitely follow up and report it!  I'm so sorry you were treated that way, it's unacceptable that a health care professional would act in that manner.

That being said, I'm glad your contractions slowed.  Sending T&Ps that it stays that way and your LO keeps growing in there!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

• Options
    imagePetraStonegirl:

Not at all. I'm be burning through phone lines until I got the Chief of Obstetrics on the phone. You DEFINITELY need to call your OB and talk to them about this tomorrow, I would also follow up with the Charge nurse at L&D tomorrow. 

This.  This this this. 

I'm sorry that on top of a very scary situation, you had to deal with this rude b*.  I hope you are able to get in with an OB to calm your fears.

(((hugs))) 

Our little Sweetpea 
    photo 62d4d618-8ee8-46d9-ae5d-705799d4d9da.jpg

BFP #1 04/27/12 | blighted ovum, m/c 05/30/12 @ ?? weeks, D&C 06/01/12 BFP #2 11/06/12 | DD born 07/10/13 BFP #3 10/07/13
  • Options

Thank you ladies, your validation is very helpful!!! I called my OB this morning and left a long message, hopefully they call back soon.

My sister is a doctor and my mom a NICU nurse, and they are absolutely beside themselves with what happened last night. My sister made a very good point that while there is nothing they could do for the baby if I indeed was in active labor, does that mean I should be sent home to deliver a live 22 weeker in my bathroom with no preparation? Why wouldn't they at least check my cervix to better prepare me for the outcome, whatever it may be???

My sister's husband actually works at this hospital, and he told me last night after we got home that they have a 22 weeker in their NICU right now as we speak, it's all a buzz about it, so that woman obviously was not sent through OB Triage.

I am not asking they attempt to save my 22 week baby, but I was hoping I could at least be monitored and given some options depending on my situation. Isn't the goal to stop labor until 24 weeks at least? Couldn't they have tried? Thank God I obviously was not in labor, I am so thankful everything stopped. My sister said if I continued to have contractions she would have dragged me to a different hospital immediately.

I will let you know what comes of it. I definitely plan to address it further. 

• Options
    WOW! I don't have any idea how accurate what they told you is medically. I do know that the way you were treated is ridiculous! Especially if they were correct medically. How can anyone say the things that were said to you?I am so upset for you. I would absolutely do some complaining. Not only to your own doc, but to the OB triage supervisor as well.
  • Options
    I would be livid as well and demand to speak to a supervisor or something.  I also think you need to tell your OB about what happened.  Did you get the nurse's name?  I'm so sorry you went through that and am glad the contractions have almost stopped.

• Options
    I am crying at my desk after reading this. How can someone give you this information in such a cold way?? So happy you feel better but damn, that person should prob not be dealing w/ OB TRIAG, monsterous. Praying for your LO.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Dude, WTF.  I'm so sorry this happened to you, and so glad everything's better now, but just...dude...wtf.

Raise all kinds of holy hell about that beotch.  And since when does a nurse alone get to make all those decisions?  Very much sounds like a power trip to me. 

TTC #1 since April 2010
    BFP 4/18/12, M/C 4/27/12 at 6w6d
    BFP 7/1/12 - Counting down to our little girl, EDD 3/8/13
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm so sorry she treated you that way, I can't believe it.

I'm glad you were not in labor and that you and baby seem to be doing well.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• Options
    imageBeautyfromAshes:

Thank you ladies, your validation is very helpful!!! I called my OB this morning and left a long message, hopefully they call back soon.

My sister is a doctor and my mom a NICU nurse, and they are absolutely beside themselves with what happened last night. My sister made a very good point that while there is nothing they could do for the baby if I indeed was in active labor, does that mean I should be sent home to deliver a live 22 weeker in my bathroom with no preparation? Why wouldn't they at least check my cervix to better prepare me for the outcome, whatever it may be???

My sister's husband actually works at this hospital, and he told me last night after we got home that they have a 22 weeker in their NICU right now as we speak, it's all a buzz about it, so that woman obviously was not sent through OB Triage.

I am not asking they attempt to save my 22 week baby, but I was hoping I could at least be monitored and given some options depending on my situation. Isn't the goal to stop labor until 24 weeks at least? Couldn't they have tried? Thank God I obviously was not in labor, I am so thankful everything stopped. My sister said if I continued to have contractions she would have dragged me to a different hospital immediately.

I will let you know what comes of it. I definitely plan to address it further. 

I'm really glad you're not in labor! I hope everything settles, and the rest of your pregnancy is as uneventful as possible.

• Options

I would call your OB NOW and tell them what happened. I would also be sure that I call the nursing manager (not just the charge nurse on....as that, depending upon that institution, might very well be that nurse) and voice your experience. Even if you were/are in labor, they should have checked you and sent the UA. And her little comment about "it's better if the baby just comes out" was based on nothing but her judgement.

Don't wait until tomorrow....call NOW. And I am so sorry you had to deal with that. In the future, if you are ever in that position again, demand to speak with the resident on call or the nursing supervisor....as this nurse clearly didn't know what the heck she was doing (and I am an RN too!).

• Options
    I would be livid. If I were you, I'd get on the phone right now to a superior and discuss the situation. She should have been more professional even if PPs mentioned there may be nothing they could have done. Even then, they didn't check ANYTHING so how could they know what your current situation even is? I am seething just thinking about how poorly you were handled. I am so sorry that happened and hope things have calmed down for you and the babies. 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• Options

Wow. I am furious on your behalf. I'm glad you called your OB and I really hope you take this as far up the ladder as necessary. I'm also SO GLAD everything is ok for now -- keep cooking little one!

ESPECIALLY since you said there's a 22-weeker in the NICU right now -- that's just unacceptable. If you HAD been in active labor what were you supposed to do, have the baby in the toilet? Absolutely ridiculous.

For what it's worth, a good friend of mine gave birth to a 22-weeker a year and a half ago, and that little girl spent 6 months in the NICU, finally got off oxygen last month and is doing amazingly -- just learned to pull herself up to stand! I know the chances are really slim that early, but it CAN happen, which just makes me even more furious at that biatch of a nurse.

• Options

I went into PTL with my son at 20 weeks.  When I arrived in L&D they knew I was having contractions and were optimistic about stopping them. They immediately gave me an injection (can't remember what) and did an u/s to check my cervix.  They discovered that I was already dilated to a 4 internally BUT they still put me on a mag drip and had a specialist come in to discuss options if they were able to stop the contractions.  There is no way that they would have sent me home prior to Zachary being born - if the contractions had stopped, I would have been on bed rest in the hospital until we got past the 24 week mark.

I'm just so angry for you.  That nurse absolutely put your life in danger and needs to be fired. 

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
  • Options

Wow... her insensitive comments on top of inappropriate information is infuriating ("expelled" was that really necessary???)... i don't think i would have gotten out of the room without either bursting into tears or requiring security!

At 22 weeks parents should be at the very least included in any decision making process if delivery is expected and not just sent away.... is this the only hospital you have the option of delivering at???

• Options
    imagencchnat:

You have every right to be angry. Hell, I'm angry for you!

Get on the phone and don't get off until you've talked to the head of Obstetrics, the head of the hospital, the head of the legal team, someone. Threaten them with malpractice if something happens to the baby (obviously, we're all very much hoping that something doesn't.) Scare the crap out of them and they'll make sure she doesn't do that to anyone else, ever again. I'd also call your OB and inform him/her of what happened.

I'm so sorry you had to deal with her. I'm even more sorry that you had to be scared. HUGS!

All of this, especially the bolded!

imageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mother to DD, born sleeping on 9/28/11, and DS, born 3/12/13, 5lbs 13oz, 19in
  • Options
    What an absolute nightmare. I am furious for you! Definitely do NOT let this go - take it straight to the top. And keep us updated. So glad your contractions have stopped.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    My Blog: One Emerald
    BFP#1: 9-13-11 EDD: 5-26-12 MMC: 11-4-11 D&C: 11-8-11
    BFP#2: 7-6-12 Elizabeth Faye ("Zuzu") born 3-21-13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"