High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Decisions... (c/s related) kind of long

So... some of you are familiar with my story. I have a large fibroid at the fundus that appears to have stopped growing. Unfortunately the placenta is implanted directly over it. I had an MRI last week that was negative for placenta accreta, but accreta has been suspected on u/s during all of my monthly exams. 

I met with my doctor today. He has pretty much left it up to me as to whether or not I want to try to attempt a vag birth (pending baby moves out of breech- which he has some time to do). I meet with the MFM next week, but I know that they have already talked- so I assume she is in agreement. 

I'm glad I have some time to think about the decision. There are so many factors and unknowns. I know we are all familiar with that on this board. I want to make the safest choice, but it's very difficult to weigh the risks/benefits. 

Any input is welcome. I want to think of this from every angle which is why I have brought it to the board. Of course I will be making the decision with DH and my doctors. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Decisions... (c/s related) kind of long

• Options

Well, it sounds like you may either be looking at a c/s surgery or, if you deliver vaginally, a possible d&c following birth to remove placenta pieces if necessary? Or will they do surgery to remove the fibroid too?

If they plan to surgically remove the fibroid anyway but they could do it while doing your c/s then I'd go that route and just have one surgery instead of two. I'm not even sure if that's possible, just speculating here. If they have no plans to remove the fibroid then I might opt to try a vaginal birth in the hopes that no further intervention is needed.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageweddedwife:

Well, it sounds like you may either be looking at a c/s surgery or, if you deliver vaginally, a possible d&c following birth to remove placenta pieces if necessary? Or will they do surgery to remove the fibroid too?

If they plan to surgically remove the fibroid anyway but they could do it while doing your c/s then I'd go that route and just have one surgery instead of two. I'm not even sure if that's possible, just speculating here. If they have no plans to remove the fibroid then I might opt to try a vaginal birth in the hopes that no further intervention is needed.

This. If they're planning to surgically remove the fibroid later anyway, then I'd just get it done at the same time as a c/s if that's possible. Surgery is a risk, but if you're going to have to have it anyway, then I'd prefer to avoid the possible complications involved in a vaginal birth with a fibroid (I assume there are additional complications which can arise?).

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was really hoping that they could remove it during c/s, but because the uterus is so engorged with blood they won't try to do anything extra. So, yes. If I have the c/s it would likely mean having another uterine surgery again later.

All of this consideration might not even been necessary if he doesn't turn anyway. I'm not sure what the stats are on babies turning late in the game, but my OB seems optimistic that he will.

A big part of my worry is delivering with the docs that I know and trust in case something does go wrong. Even if we schedule a c/s I know it's not a guarantee, but I'd much rather have everyone start out prepared and with a smile on their face than needing an emergency intervention after a long labor process. There's no clear right or wrong answer, and I've got some time. Thanks for the input :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"