Stay at Home Moms
Options

Come in if you're crafty. Or try to be. lol

I'm starting to try and make some things but have so little experience.  I'm afraid it's just going to look sad and pathetic.  I got favor boxes from Michaels and I'm going to use them to make something like an advent calendar.  One box for each day and it will have candy or a little toy.   They are gold and silver boxes with lids.  I'm going to tie with a ribbon so it looks like a present and then hang them like garland.  I was going to put the number on each box with red glitter.  But I'm afraid it's going to look craft hour at the nuthouse, not like Martha Stewart as I'm seeing in my head.  Do you just go ahead and do it, even if it won't be great? 

I also bought felt to make that tree they can stick ornaments on.  But my confidence is waning.  Does this get easier??

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Come in if you're crafty. Or try to be. lol

• Options
    My only suggestion is about the glitter numbers. Get the tubes of glitter glue. Not messy and they come in lots of different colors. The end is a point so you can just write the number and be done in one step. Just a heads up though, it takes HOURS to dry completely. Like all day and overnight. But it looks great after its dry!!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wouldn't even attempt free-handing numbers, but I have terrible handwritting.  I would TOTALLY do the tree, though - it has been on my to-do list for 2-3 years now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Or better...get glitter sticker numbers! Pinterest has a ton of cute ideas for Advent calendars if you want some inspiration.
  • Options

They sound very pretty. With crafty things is the more you practice the better you get so I say go all out even if it turns out crappy. 

The glitter stickers are an awesome idea though. But if you decide to still do the regular way then maybe you could find number stencils and apply glitter paint? But if you do the glitter paint then use a foam craft brush..usually kids use these things so you can find them in the kids craft section at walmart and do dabbing motion rather then a swiping motion that you would do with a paint brush

• Options
    I try to do a "test" piece before I do a whole craft. For the advent boxes, I would practice doing the numbers on a spare piece of cardboard with a similar consistency/finish as your boxes. That way you can see if the glue sticks well, try out different writing styles, decide whether the glitter is the right way to go, etc.

• Options
    I just go with it. I find when I free hand stuff it comes out way better. 99 of the time what ever I am making comes out pretty good and I surprise my self. It helps that my husband is always amazed and the only really crafty person in my family or his is my mom.
    About the felt tree.. I just made that yesterday. It looks like a per schooler cut it out. Apperantly felt isn't to easy to cut lol. I got the hang of it when I got to the ornaments but the tree is a little sad looking. But I don't care my kid loves it and that's what matters
  • Options
    imageDochas:
    I'm starting to try and make some things but have so little experience.nbsp; I'm afraid it's just going to look sad and pathetic.nbsp; I got favor boxes from Michaels and I'm going to use them to make something like an advent calendar.nbsp; One box for each day and it will have candy or a little toy.nbsp;nbsp; They are gold and silver boxes with lids.nbsp; I'm going to tie with a ribbon so it looks like a present and then hang them like garland.nbsp; I was going to put the number on each box with red glitter.nbsp; But I'm afraid it's going to look craft hour at the nuthouse, not like Martha Stewart as I'm seeing in my head.nbsp; Do you just go ahead and do it, even if it won't be great?nbsp; I also bought felt to make that tree they can stick ornaments on.nbsp; But my confidence is waning.nbsp; Does this get easier??

I just did the felt tree! It was very easy. I traced ornament shapes on to a piece of cardboard and used that as my stencil. For the tree, I just folded the felt in half so I made one cut and the sides of the tree are symmetrical.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagenowababy:

imagelexusolsen:
    I just did the felt tree! It was very easy. I traced ornament shapes on to a piece of cardboard and used that as my stencil. For the tree, I just folded the felt in half so I made one cut and the sides of the tree are symmetrical.

Genius!! I just bought felt yesterday and was planning to do the tree this week. I started outlining the shape today but got distracted before cutting. The green is super dark so I think I can get away with folding in half and cutting despite the outline.

Stupid question - I haven't looked up any tutorials for the tree and was just planning to wing it. Does it require any adhesive thing, or does felt just stick to itself?

I cannot believe that I wouldn't have thought to fold it in half!  Everyone says the felt just sticks to itself.  I think I'm going to make presents as well as ornaments and I'm going to hot glue gun strips to make ribbons.  

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advice.  If I had seen glitter stickers I would have gotten those.  I had the glitter glue in hand, but went with good old Elmer's and a tube of red glitter.  I will try not to see the flaws when I'm finished.  My husband already thinks it's great and I know my son will love it too.  He's going to say 'ooh candy', not 'looks like you got a little sloppy with that 2'.  LOL

TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I also agree to glitter sticker numbers!

Half the fun is just doing something even when it doesn't turn out perfect. Your kids won't realize the difference so don't stress if it doesn't turn out like the picture in your head. Have fun!

• Options
    imageDochas:
    imagenowababy:

imagelexusolsen:

Genius!! I just bought felt yesterday and was planning to do the tree this week. I started outlining the shape today but got distracted before cutting. The green is super dark so I think I can get away with folding in half and cutting despite the outline.

Stupid question - I haven't looked up any tutorials for the tree and was just planning to wing it. Does it require any adhesive thing, or does felt just stick to itself?

I cannot believe that I wouldn't have thought to fold it in half!  Everyone says the felt just sticks to itself.  I think I'm going to make presents as well as ornaments and I'm going to hot glue gun strips to make ribbons.  

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and advice.  If I had seen glitter stickers I would have gotten those.  I had the glitter glue in hand, but went with good old Elmer's and a tube of red glitter.  I will try not to see the flaws when I'm finished.  My husband already thinks it's great and I know my son will love it too.  He's going to say 'ooh candy', not 'looks like you got a little sloppy with that 2'.  LOL

Thanks! I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of it! felt sticks to felt. No adhesive necessary. For the ornaments I just drew the shapes I wanted on cardboard and traced them on to the felt. We have candy canes, stars, regular ball ornaments. I did glue magnets to the back of the felt so I could hang it on the fridge.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

imagelexusolsen:
    Thanks! I was pretty proud of myself for thinking of it! felt sticks to felt. No adhesive necessary. For the ornaments I just drew the shapes I wanted on cardboard and traced them on to the felt. We have candy canes, stars, regular ball ornaments. I did glue magnets to the back of the felt so I could hang it on the fridge.

Embarrassed  more things I wouldn't have though of!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"