Attachment Parenting
Options

carrier for older, heavier baby

My DD just turned 1 and is 20 lbs.  I loved the moby when she was a baby but it doesn't work for her anymore, and I'd like to get her into a bigger, more structured carrier.  My DH has a backpack carrier, like for hiking, that really works well for him, but it's too bulky and heavy for me.  I'm open to wearing her in the front or back. She has a disability and isn't walking now, and she probably won't for a while, so I'd like something that I can hold her as she gets bigger.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: carrier for older, heavier baby

• Options

Two suggestions: a wrap and an SSC (soft structured carrier).  

Wraps: I started wrapping when DD was around 16months, so 1yr is certainly not to late.  There's a learning curve, but they can be *very* comfortable for extended wearing, and can be worn on the front, back, or hip.

SSC: Things like the Ergo or Boba are soft structured carriers, but the majority of them are designed for younger babies and you run into the issue of them being *technically* too small for toddlers as they grow taller because the carrier no longer supports their legs from knee to knee.  There are specialty brands of carriers that make larger sizes just for toddlers.  (I have a Bamberoo half-buckled, half-wrap that I still use at 2.5yrs, though infrequently.)  Kinderpack is another, and I'm sure the ladies here will have other suggestions.  This would probably be the way I would go, myself. 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use SSCs for my 24lb 13.5 month old. I love the BabyHawk Mei Tai and the Catbird Pikkolo. My husband favors the Ergo Performance. My friend has a 30-something lb 19 month old and she borrowed my Ergo last week and loved it.  She's going to get one herself.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My daughter is a little tall for her size, but it's worth noting she was outgrowing the Pikkolo by 2.  Loved it until then, though!
    IMG_8355
  • Options
    I'm largely a lurker on this board, but I got an Action Baby Carrier, toddler size a couple months ago and really like it.  My son is 14 months, 23 pounds, and was in the 50% for height at his one year (sorry, don't remember how many inches that is).  The carrier is very comfortable on front or back and the toddler size is big enough that he has lots of room before he gets too tall. 
    imageimage
  • Options
    You can wear Tula Baby Carriers up to age 4+ in their toddler sizes. They are my absolute favorite SSC. So cute and comfy. https://www.tulababycarriers.com/
    Monique (38), Wife to Steve (32), Mom to DS Sacha (4), DS Ronen due Aug. 1st! BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would echo some of the previous suggestions (my siggy link has more info on carrier types if you are interested).  If you get a buckle carrier, I would get a toddler size - the ergo, beco, pikkolo are all great but fairly small bodied relative to some other options which will fit better longer - kinder pack, toddler action baby carrier, tula, olives and applesauce among others.
  • Options
    I really like the Beco Butterfly. I switched to primarily a back carry with both of mine when they hit about 25 lbs - at that point, it hurt my back to have them on the front. I would seriously consider a Boba, though, if she's not going to be walking anytime soon, because it goes to such a high weight limit.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

imagetheresat858:
    I'd look into a toddler-sized SSC - Toddler Tula or Kinderpack are a few options...a larger baby might outgrow a smaller SSC like an Ergo sooner.  Becos run exceptionally small...my 6mo peanut has already outgrown ours, but has a ton of space to grow in the Ergo.

Wow really? We still use our Beco with no problems and DD is quite large for her age. 

We also have an Ergo and she has room to grow in it. (She's roughly 23lbs and 29".)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagesalt78:

imagetheresat858:
    I'd look into a toddler-sized SSC - Toddler Tula or Kinderpack are a few options...a larger baby might outgrow a smaller SSC like an Ergo sooner.  Becos run exceptionally small...my 6mo peanut has already outgrown ours, but has a ton of space to grow in the Ergo.

Wow really? We still use our Beco with no problems and DD is quite large for her age. 

We also have an Ergo and she has room to grow in it. (She's roughly 23lbs and 29".)

Some of this depends on how you define "outgrow".  The manufacturer may site various weight limits, but others will cite ergonomic issues for the kiddo.  So, this may mean "the beco is too small to offer support from the back of one knee clear across to the back of the other".  A lot of that depends on leg length in the little one.

IMG_8355
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"