Multiples

Crib reality

Ok, so we are trying to budget and think about what we REALLY need since we are in a smaller house and basically a single income family.  The only two Moms I know IRL who had twins both said they co-slept and only used 1 crib for the majority/all of the crib life span IYKWIM. After looking up the topic it seems that a lot of people cosleep but only a few months, not until toddler/larger bed time. So, whos more realistic here.

Did you have only one crib for your twins? Did you have two and could have gotten away with one? If we do two cribs I will either have to seperate them by rooms or have a sleep room and a everything else room down the hall since two cribs is all we could cram in the nursery.

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Crib reality

• We decided on mini cribs, since 3 regular size cribs would take up the entire nursery.  They are about 10" shorter than the full size, and convert to twin beds instead of full size beds, which also works better for our space constraints.  Here is the one we got- we love them:

https://www.amazon.com/DaVinci-Kalani-Mini-Crib-White/dp/B002ZG7JQK/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2MMERUK0G8LHV&coliid=I1C57WQD17PQR4

HTH!

Me: 31 DH: 30
    Dx DOR (AMH .49), Stage 3/4 Endo, Septate Uterus
    After 2 years, numerous tests, abdonimal surgery, and 2 IVF cycles, we are so grateful to be expecting.
    Transferred 2 "perfect" 8-cell embies 6/12. Beta 1 6/25: 472! Beta 2 6/27: 1055!
    First u/s shows TRIPLETS! WHAT?!?! Both embies stuck and one split. OMG

Levi, Henry, and Amelia were born healthy at 34w3d.
  • we had three cribs. they only fit in one crib for about three months. i cannot imagine even just two of them sharing a crib for 2-3 years!

oh, and the nursery was basically just a "crib room" for us. there was a loveseat in there, but they never played in there or anything. 

How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Loading the player...
  • We have 2 cribs.  The babies have slept in them since they were about 3 months old, before that they slept in PNPs in our room.  We never put them in the same bed.  I think they'll use them for a while... my DD1 is 3.5 years old and still sleeps in a crib.  Embarrassed  But she'll be moving to a big girl bed soon...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We went with mini cribs as well...they slept together for the first month I would say and after that it seemed to cramped to me...they share a room and very rarely wake each other up!
  • Ours have been in their own cribs since three months - I can't imagine putting my two 17-month-olds in the same crib.  No way they would fit and not disturb one another.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My guys have been in their own cribs since they were about 4 weeks old.  They need their own space- my guys were major movers.  If cost is a issue- look for cribs that are not convertibles- or if you live near an IKEA- we have IKEA cribs Gulliver which you can take a side off and it becomes a toddler bed- and they have held up great at the time and they were under $100 each- yes my guys are still in their cribs at 2- I plan on keeping it that way as long as possible.
  • I should clarify - I said ours were in their own cribs at 3 months - before that they were in bouncy chairs due to reflux.  They only slept flat in a crib together for about a week.
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Mine shared a pnp until 4mo and then kept rolling onto each other. they shared a crib for one day and have been separate since. bedshare has never worked for us as they are belly sleepers and I'm not comfortable with them face first into our soft bed. If they are in bed with us now they are either pulling hair, grabbing at glasses or phone cords or playing with the blanket. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a 2 bedroom house, so we have 3 cribs in 1 room. We have since moved one crib in our bedroom, and the twins share that so my daughter is in her room by herself. Once babies are STTN, we I'll move thm out of our bedroom.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My hospital said no to co sleeping because of SIDS risk. We bought 2 cribs. I've seen them cheap at Walmart or ikea if you need to save . We used RNPs for the first 2.5 months then they outgrew them.
  • imagechickaboo1974:
    My guys have been in their own cribs since they were about 4 weeks old.  They need their own space- my guys were major movers.  If cost is a issue- look for cribs that are not convertibles- or if you live near an IKEA- we have IKEA cribs Gulliver which you can take a side off and it becomes a toddler bed- and they have held up great at the time and they were under $100 each- yes my guys are still in their cribs at 2- I plan on keeping it that way as long as possible.

My DDs shared one crib until they were about 7 months old, and that seems to be on the later side.  I can't imagine having them in one longer than that.  I'm another fan of the Gulliver cribs.  They are regular sized cribs, but have a smaller footprint than many.  When we put up the second crib, we actually put them side-by-side long wise in a corner (One crib had one long side and one short side against wall in the corner with the other long side against a long side of the  other crib.)   It worked well to save space.  We have a rather small bedroom and still had a double bed in their room also (since been removed).  Now at almost 4, they are still in Gullivers as toddler beds.

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• We got two of the convertible cribs so they can turn into toddler beds.  I see you're still really early in your pregnancy, so I would suggest start looking now for deals.  I got my cribs earlier then I was planning on buying anything (9 or 10 weeks), but I got both of them for a total of $180 at BRU.  They were on sale and I used the twins discount they offer.  That model was being discontinued so I got them for a steal.

We tried to put them in one crib and their noises woke each other up.  They hated being in the same crib.  Now they're separate and one can be screaming and the other will stay asleep.  It's so weird.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been struggling with this question as well!!  Our son is almost 10 months old so obviously no where near ready to be out of a crib.  And wondering how to fit 3 cribs in one tiny room....if we can do only 1 for the twins etc.....still have come to no conclusions.
  • Our guys slept in a shared crib until 6 months, when we went and got the second crib.
    Jayme
    Boy 16, Boy 15, Boy 13, Girl 10, Girl 8 & Twin Boys 3, and Bacon!
    Twin A is in REMISSION!
    23 week loss, 24 week loss, 3 early miscarriages & a 25 weeker who lived only 9 weeks.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"