Multiples
Options

BF Questions

Hey ladies! I am going to call my LC today, but I also wanted to get your thoughts. I tandem breast feed for most feedings, and sometimes in the evenings H gives them bottles of breast milk. The girls are 7 weeks and they have always been good breast feeders, but recently they both have started chomping my nipples as hard as they can towards the end of their nursing sessions. I always unlatch them when they do it, but the damage is done and the inside of my nipples feel bruised and sore. This is so frustrating! I used to love breastfeeding but now I dread it because I'm so sore all the time. They have good latches and I'm making enough milk and they are gaining well. I don't get it!

Maybe another thing worth mentioning is that sometimes they seem to reject bottles from H even though they're hungry. The milk is warm, and we use Dr. Brown bottles. Most of the time they take bottles with no problem! What is going on? I hope you ladies and my LC can offer some advice. Thanks!

Re: BF Questions

• Options

Do your nipples come out looking kind of squished and compressed after they do the chomping? Not round like they are after the end of a pumping session? My boys both did this, and it was their way of stopping the milk flow so they could just comfort suck at the end. But OUCH it was miserable. I still have nipple trauma left over from the damage they did, and they are 7 months old now!

Do your babies take pacifiers at all? My LC suggested that I pay close attention to when they are no longer actively drinking, then get them off and pop a paci in their mouths....

I agree with other response too about the bottles... if you are anywhere nearby, they probably just want the real deal. It's so much nicer to drink all snuggled up against Momma's breast, rather than take a bottle...

Good luck, hang in there, I promise it will get better!!! We are still going strong =)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

imageRWMomma:
    My DD would do that when she emptied the breast because she wasn't getting any milk. It hurts!! I would just try to take her off when the breast was empty and before she got me. It took a little while to figure out when that was though. I hope they stop soon. 

Same with my boys! 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I had this issue as well - for me switching them to pacifiers when they were done actively nursing helped.

I'm no help with bottles - my guys never took them.  If I ever have another I'm doing that better!

Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"