Multiples

RnP

I would love to get these to use as bassinets but read that flat spots on the head are fairly common. Anyone confirm or deny this?

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
Moving on to IVF in July
37 with DOR...fabulous
ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

Re: RnP

• I love RnPs... our DS slept in his a lot when he was a newborn until about 3 months old and he DID have a pretty flat head, but he also hated tummy time and spent a fair amount of time in his swing and carseat too. His head was at it's worse around 6 months which is a few months after he outgrew the RnP. It may have contributed, but it's hard to say. 

Still, we're using RnPs with our twins...but this time we added the Boppy Noggin Nests to hopefully help with keeping their heads round.

Sorry, not clicky...

https://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Noggin-Nest-Support-Flowers/dp/B001O9H5Q8/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=4X1B4VWFDR0J&coliid=I1H8M2JTJ0Y9ZK 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used a RnP with our DS and he did have a pretty flat head. That being said, he also hated tummy time and spent a lot of time in his swing and carseat, so who knows... we stopped using the RnP around 3 months and his head was at it's worse around 6 months. It eventually corrected itself anyway.

This time around, we're using RnPs again, but we've added the Boppy Noggin Nests to hopefully help keep their heads round. Just like DS, the twins seems to sleep really well in the RnP!

https://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Noggin-Nest-Support-Flowers/dp/B001O9H5Q8/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=4X1B4VWFDR0J&coliid=I1H8M2JTJ0Y9ZK 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Confirm.

Both my boys ended up with the helmet therapy, and I even broke the rules and added padding under the RnP covers. I wonder if it had to do with them being premi's too though. The good news is that all the doctors assured us flat spots are just a cosmetic concern. Since our insurance covered the helmets at 100% we went for it anyway. 

However, the RnP's were fantastic! Just be careful. 

ETA: We didn't have one for DD, and no flat spots.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • I've heard that the new snugabunny one is supposed to be better at reducing incidence of flathead. Either way, I have two. My boys love them.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We have RnPs for our boys. DS1 slept in the PnP for awhile until he decided he hated it around 1 month. We have continued to try the PnP, but he still wants the RnP. They only sleep in them at night, never during the day. We just discovered a flat spot on DS1. But, he was also diagnosed with torticolis, so the spot is most likely due to the torticolis, not the RnP. DS2 slept in the RnP more frequently and his head is fine. However, I do think the RnP didn't help the flat spot, as it does seem to make it easier for him to keep his head in the tilted position. 

ETA: I should add that DS2 has serious reflux and DS1 has silent reflux. I don't know that it helps DS2 all that much, as he still spits up and does the choking/gagging reflux thing at night. However, I really do believe it helped DS1. 

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• I have heard such great hings out of the RNP from moms...at first & then they try to transition to having them sleep flat on their backs & always regret it.

IMO I wouldn't do it unless it was needed for reflux.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Undecided.

Ours slept in their RnP's until they were about 11 weeks old. We are doing helmet therapy with both right now. My DS had torticollis and also had PT for it, so it's the old chicken or the egg...we don't know if his torticollis was caused by the flat head or vice versa. 

Would I still use them if I could do it all over again? Yes, but I would use Boppy noggin nests. We had them but not until later.

Honestly, none of the medical professionals we have seen for PT and helmets have said anything about what could have caused this. What I do know is that plagiocephally (flat head syndrome) is very common in twins. I have two close friends who both had their sons in helmets - neither were in RnP's like mine, so I really don't know if I can say it's directly from the RnP.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

• I wanted to add that I would still use them, but I might have thought more about having them in a pack in play in our room instead, or would have just put them in their cribs from the beginning. Not so much in fear of flat spots, but more because it's one more thing to have to transition.

Anything you do to start (bassinet, swaddle, different room, etc) will have to end at some point, so just keep in mind that you will have to break them from those habits eventually.

my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

• imageCourtneySue:

I have heard such great hings out of the RNP from moms...at first & then they try to transition to having them sleep flat on their backs & always regret it.

IMO I wouldn't do it unless it was needed for reflux.

I second the Boppy Noggin Nest.  We used the RNPs and used those in them and never had any issues with flat spots (and we actually didn't get those until 4 weeks when I read about them on here, and had no issues prior to that).

The girls had reflux issues so it was suggested to keep them at an incline but we moved them to their cribs for nighttime sleep at 6 weeks and had zero issues transitioning them.  From what I've read on various boards on here it seems to me like the issue is more with the age that you try to transition them.  It seems like the later you do it, the harder it can be.  Although my girls slept in the RNPs or swings at home and the PNP at my ILS so they were used to sleeping in a variety of positions/inclines from early on.

Even without reflux, if we were planning on having another child I would 100% use a RNP again.  It is just so convenient to put your LOs to sleep in the RNPs in whatever room you're in and then pick up the RNP with them in it to move them to your room when you're ready to go to sleep.  I think keeping them with us while we watched TV, made dinner, and always having some kind of noise also made them better sleepers as they can sleep through a lot now.

ETA - The girls took naps in their cribs when at my mom's (who watched them until they were 7 months while we worked) until about 7-8 months old so we got a ton of use out of them.

• Thanks ladies. I think I'm sufficiently paranoid now!!! I'll just get 2 traditional bassinets. I found one that's only $70, so not too bad.

imageimage 

6/20/11 mc @ 5wks
    10/19/11 mc @ 17wks- Trisomy 18
    IUI #1 4/26/12 BFN
    Moving on to IVF in July
    37 with DOR...fabulous
    ER 7/14/12 6R 5F, ET 7/17 3 embies, beta #1 7/26: 147, beta #2 7/28: 326, beta#3 7/30: 422...ugh, beta#4 7/31: 607...hopeful, beta #5 8/2: 1280, beta #6 8/7: 7184 and u/s shows 1 possibly 2 sacs! 8/14 2 beautiful heartbeats! 9/24 we are TEAM BLUE!!!!!

• imagemirnb:
    Used for 3 months....loved them......no flat spots and no trouble transitioning to cribs!

This for us too.  It was a must in our home especially with G's reflux.

U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemirnb:
    Used for 3 months....loved them......no flat spots and no trouble transitioning to cribs!
    U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemrsjami:
    Thanks ladies. I think I'm sufficiently paranoid now!!! I'll just get 2 traditional bassinets. I found one that's only $70, so not too bad.

From what our doctor said, any flat surface can cause flat spots on the head so I would think a bassinet (or even a crib!) could do the same thing.  My nephew has spent most of his nights in bed with my sister and BIL and he ended up wearing a helmet for about 2 months.

• imageJen0204:

imagemrsjami:
    Thanks ladies. I think I'm sufficiently paranoid now!!! I'll just get 2 traditional bassinets. I found one that's only $70, so not too bad.

From what our doctor said, any flat surface can cause flat spots on the head so I would think a bassinet (or even a crib!) could do the same thing.  My nephew has spent most of his nights in bed with my sister and BIL and he ended up wearing a helmet for about 2 months.

This is what I was thinking. Babies can get flat head from any flat surface. Just change up your babies' head positions and give them some tummy time and snuggles. 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"